Gloucester County Virginia GenWeb
ABINGDON EPISCOPAL CHURCH is a rare cruciform colonial church. It is one of only eight churches of colonial Virginia.
WARE EPISCOPAL CHURCH is an early 17th century building that served as encampments for the federal and confederate soldiers. This was the second church of the parish.
WARE EPISCOPAL CHURCH CEMETERY - Names and tombstone inscriptions of the 900 people buried there.
The southern tip of the Gloucester County peninsula extends into the York River and is directly across from Yorktown. This finger of land, named Tyndall's Point for Captain John Smith's mapmaker, Robert Tyndall, became known as Gloucester Point at the time of the Revolution. A fortification existed here already, built to protect the waterways of Virginia. The British Army refortified the point in August 1781 and British forces occupied the point for much of the War. Gloucester Point is the site of the "Second Surrender" by General Charles Lord Cornwallis to General George Washington at Yorktown.
Gloucester Point Archaeological District
The Gloucester Point Archaeological District includes portions of Tyndall's Point Park, remnants of Confederate and Union fortifications and the site of colonial Gloucestertown.
The Gloucester Courthouse Square Historic District
From Guide to the Old Dominion---The WPA Writer's Program---"In 1769, The general assembly, having been assured that a town 'on the lands of John Fox, gentleman, adjoining the lands whereon the Courthouse is erected will be advantageous,' directed the laying off of 'sixty acres into lots and streets' and constituted "Gloucester Court House" a town 'by the name of Botetourt town'----a name that was never popular.
The Courthouse District includes a circular walled green and five historic buildings; the Debtor's Prison, the Jail, The Roanes Building, The Clayton Building, and The Court House. There is a Confederate Monument honoring the 132 Gloucester men who died in the Civil War.
The GLOUCESTER COUNTY COURTHOUSE is a brick building with a hip roof and a portico with columns. It was erected in 1766 and it one of the most interesting of Virginia's colonial courthouses in its architecture.
The CLAYTON BUILDING, also known as The OLD CLERK'S OFFICE, was built on April 2, 1776 for Dr. John Clayton, Clerk of Gloucester Court. Dr. Clayton's father was John Clayton, attorney general of the colony in the very early days. The building almost completely destroyed by fire in 1820 and rebuilt between 1821 and 1823.
The ROANE BUILDING, or the CLERK'S OFFICE, was erected about 1896 and contains records dating from the 1860's. Fire destroyed the early records in 1820 and those covering the period from 1820-1860 were taken to Richmond and were burned when the capital was evacuated. This building was named for Basi3 Bernard Roane, who served as deputy clerk and clerk of the Circuit Court for 59 years.
The DEBTOR'S PRISON, a small brick building adjoining the courthouse, was built before 1750.
The original COLONIAL JAIL was burned during the Civil War. The current structure was erected in 1873.
The CONFEDERATE MONUMENT is right in the center of the court circle. It was unveiled on September 18, 1889 to honor the 132 Gloucester men who gave their lives in the Civil War.
There are two important buildings located on the outside of the Courthouse Green.
The MASONIC HALL, a two story frame building, is the home of Botetourt Lodge, No.7, formed in 1757. This is one of the oldest Masonic lodges in the country.
HOTEL BOTETOURT is known today as the BOTETOURT BUILDING. It was built in 1774 and served as a Tavern in the early days. Later, it became a hotel and then a community center. Today, it is The Botetourt Administration Building.
Other Points Of
Powhatan's Chimney has long been considered to be that attached to the house that the Emperor Powhatan requested of John Smith.
The ROSEWELL RUINS are the remains of what was called the largest and finest of Colonial mansions. The interior was consumed by fire in 1916, but the elaborate brickwork, including the magnificent brick wall, the massive chimneys and the elaborate doorways survive.
Visit this link for more information on the points of interest listed below.
WARNER HALL GRAVEYARD is a colonial family cemetery where ancestors of George Washington, Robert E. Lee and Queen Elizabeth ll are buried. It is on the grounds of Warner Hall, built about 1642. Warner Hall was the home of the Warner-Lewis family.
LONG BRIDGE ORDINARY was built prior to 1730. It is believed to the first established shopping place for travelers going along the old Indian Road.
ROARING SPRINGS is a lovely example of an eighteenth century farmhouse.
this page is part of
© Gloucester VAGenWeb, 1997 - 2009