Parishes of Virginia


      I'm not an expert on the parishes of Virginia, nor is this a history of their formation. Rather, it's intended to be a finding aid for those who have the name of their ancestor's parish, and are looking to find the county where they were located. My primary sources are "Hening's Statutes at Large" (see vagenweb.org/hening/) and the list of parishes in "The Hornbook of Virginia History", 4th edition, edited by Emily J. Salmon and Edward D. C. Campbell,Jr., Library of Virginia, Richmond, 1994.

If you see something wrong, or you know something I've missed, email me, Freddie Spradlin

 
Parish Name  Formed     Counties served/when    Notes
Abingdon abt1653 Gloucester Co to aft1785 Glocester Co first appears in "Hening's Statutes" in a list of Burgesses, at the April 1652 session of the assembly.
Accomac** 1634 Accomack Co to: 1643 This was Accomac or Accawmack Parish and County (the original shire), whose names were changed to Northampton in 1643
Accomack 1663 Accomack Co to aft 1785 Accomack was formed from Northampton abt 1663.
Albemarle 1738 Surry Co to 1753
Sussex Co to aft 1785
Sussex Co was formed from Surry in 1753, and the parish went with it.
Amherst 1761 Amherst Co to aft 1785 Amherst parish was formed from St. Anne's in 1761, when Amherst Co was formed from Albemarle Co.
Antrim 1752 Halifax Co to aft 1785 Antrim parish was formed from Cumberland in 1752, when Halifax Co was formed from Lunenburg Co
Appomattox aft 1653 Westmoreland Co to 1664 Appomattox was one of 5 parishes in Westmoreland during this period.
Argall's Gift 1618 James City Co bef 1640 Renamed Chickahominy by 1640, Argall's Gift was one of 4 parishes in James City Co during this period.
Augusta 1738 Augusta Co to aft 1785 Augusta parish was formed in 1738 from St. Mark's Parish when Augusta Co was formed from Orange Co
Bath 1742 Prince George Co to 1752
Dinwiddie Co to aft 1785
Bath was formed from Bristol Parish in 1742, and had part handed back in 1744. Bath and Bristol were both serving Prince George Co until Dinwiddie Co was formed in 1752 from Prince George Co, and all of Bath went too.
Beckford 1769 Frederick Co to 1772
Shenandoah Co to aft 1785
Beckford was formed from Frederick Parish in 1769. When Dunmore Co was formed from Frederick Co, Beckford went with it. Dunmore Co was renamed Shenandoah Co in 1778.
Berkeley 1769 Spotsylvania Co to aft 1785 Berkeley was formed from [1st.] St. George's Parish, which continued serving Spotsylvania Co.
Blisland abt 1653 James City Co to aft 1785
York Co to 1654
New Kent Co to aft 1785
Blisland served both James City Co & New Kent Co (formed from York in 1654).
Blount Point bef 1634 Warwick Co to ???? Blount Point must have been a parish in the original shire, Warwick River Co, but the dates of its existence are not known. Blount/Blunt Point was the name of a very early plantation, near one named Denbigh. Might I speculate that it's an early name for that parish?
Botetourt 1769 Botetourt Co to aft 1785 Botetourt was formed from Augusta Parish in 1769, when Botetourt Co was formed from Augusta Co
Boutracy/Bowtracy bef 1679 Northumberland Co
to bef 1716
Upper part of Chickacoan/Fairfield Parish — Thanks to Charles Boesch
Bristol 1643 Charles City Co to 1702
Henrico Co to 1735
Prince George Co
      to aft 1785
Dinwiddie Co to aft 1785
The statute creating Bristol Parish on both sides of Appomattox river, from the mouth up to the falls, in (then) Charles City & Henrico Counties, it did not give the name of the "parent" parish. When Prince George Co was formed from Charles City, in 1702 that part of Bristol Parish went too. When Dale Parish was formed in 1735, it included that part of Bristol Parish in Henrico Co. When Dinwiddie Co was formed from Prince George Co in 1752, Bristol Parish served both counties.
Bromfield 1752 Culpeper Co to aft 1785 Bromfield was created by dividing that part of St. Mark's Parish lying in Culpeper Co, and adding to it that part of St. Thomas Parish already in Culpeper Co.
Brunswick 1732 King George Co to aft 1785
Stafford Co to aft 1785
Formed in King George Co from Hanover Parish in 1732. A part was added to Stafford Co, when its boundary with King George was altered in 1776.
Bruton by 1674 James City Co to aft 1785
York Co to aft 1785
Each county had multiple parishes.
Camden 1766 Pittsylvania Co to aft 1785
Henry Co to 1778
Henry Co was formed from Pittsylvania in 1776, and Camden Parish served both counties until Patrick Parish was formed from that part of Camden Parish in Henry Co.
Cameron 1748 Fairfax Co to 1763
Loudoun Co to aft 1785
Formed from Truro Parish, in Fairfax Co in 1748. When Loudoun Co was formed from Fairfax Co in 1757, Cameron served both counties. In 1763, that part still in Fairfax Co was returned to Truro Parish.
Charles City 1613 Charles City Co to ???? One of the original shires & parishes. Early records on division of parishes must have been lost.
Charles abt 1692 York Co to aft 1785  
Charles River abt 1634 York Co to 1642 Named changed to York Parish, by 1642
Chickacoan abt 1645 Northumberland Co
      to 1664
Westmoreland Co to 1664
Chickacoan was the original name of what became Northumberland Co in 1648
Chickahominy bef 1640 Charles City Co to 1643
James City Co to 1643
Name changed to Wallingford Parish in 1643
Chippokes 1643 James City Co to 1647 Formed from James City Parish
Chiskiack 1640 York Co to 1643 Name changed to Hampton Parish in 1643
Chotank abt 1680 Stafford Co to bef 1702  
Christ Church 1666 Lancaster Co to abt 1669
Middlesex Co to aft 1785
Formed by combining Lancaster Parish and Piankatank Parish, in Lancaster Co. Middlesex Co was formed from Lancaster Co abt 1669, taking Christ Church Parish too.
Christ Church abt 1670 Lancaster Co to aft 1785 Also known as Great Christ Church Parish
Chuckatuck aft 1643 Nansemond Co to 1737  
Cople abt 1644 Westmoreland Co
      to aft 1785
 
Cornwall 1757 Lunenburg Co to 1764
Charlotte Co to aft 1785
Formed from Cumberland Parish, Lunenburg Co, in 1757. In 1764, Cornwall Parish was split off to form the new county of Charlotte.
Cumberland 1745 Lunenburg Co to aft 1785
Bedford Co to 1756
In 1753, Bedford Co was formed from Lunenburg Co, and Cumberland Parish served both counties. In 1756, Russell Parish was formed from that part in Bedford Co.
Dale 1735 Henrico Co to 1749
Chesterfield Co to aft 1785
Formed from Henrico Parish in 1735. In 1749 Chesterfield Co was formed from Henrico Co, taking Dale Parish too.
Denbigh abt 1635 Warwick Co to abt 1730  
Dettinger 1744 Prince William Co
      to aft 1785
Formed from Hamilton Parish, in Prince William Co
Drysdale 1723 King and Queen Co
      to aft 1785
Caroline Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. Stephen's Parish in King and Queen Co. When Caroline Co was formed in 1728, from parts of Essex, King and Queen, and King William Counties, Drysdale served parts of both counties.
East 1643 Upper Norfolk Co to 1646
Nansemond Co to 1744
Three parishes were formed in Upper Norfolk Co in 1643, named East, West, & South. Upper Norfolk was renamed Nansemond Co in 1646.
Elizabeth City 1619 Elizabeth City Co
      to aft 1785
Warwick Co to aft 1785
One of the original Parishes. Renamed 1619, from Kecoughtan Parish, which was formed abt 1610
Elizabeth River bef 1643 New Norfolk Co 1636-1637
Upper Norfolk Co to 1643
Lower Norfolk Co to 1691
Norfolk Co to aft 1785
New Norfolk Co was formed from Elizabeth City Co in 1636, and in 1637 became extinct, dividing into Upper Norfolk & Lower Norfolk Counties
Upper Norfolk became Nansemond Co in 1643
Lower Norfolk Co, split off Princess Anne Co and dropped the "Lower" from its name, becoming just Norfolk Co.
Fairfax 1764 Fairfax Co to aft 1785 Formed from Truro Parish in Fairfax Co
Fairfield 1664 Northumberland Co
      to bef 1699
 
Farnham abt 1656 Old Rappahannock Co
      to bef 1683
Old Rappahannock Co, was formed from Lancaster Co in 1656 and became extinct in 1692 when it was divided into Essex Co and Richmond Co
Flowerdew Hundred See Jordan's Journey
Fluvanna 1777 Fluvanna Co to aft 1785 Formed from St. Anne's Parish, when Fluvanna Co was formed from Albemarle Co
Frederick 1738 Frederick Co to aft 1785 Formed from St. Mark's Parish, when Frederick Co was formed from Orange Co
Fredericksville 1742 Louisa Co to aft 1785
Albemarle Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. Martin's Parish, in 1742, when Louisa Co was formed from Hanover. Albemarle acquired part of Fredericksville Parish with the area added from Louisa in 1761.
Great Christ Church See Christ Church (Lancaster)
Hamilton 1730 Stafford Co to abt 1731
Prince William Co to 1769
Fauquier Co to aft 1785
Formed by dividing Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co. When Prince William Co was formed from Stafford Co in 1731, all of Hamilton Parish went. After Fauquier Co was formed from Prince William Co in 1759, Hamilton Parish served both counties. In 1769 Hamilton Parish was divided. All of the parish in Prince William and part of the parish in Fauquier Co was used to form Leeds Parish.
Hampton 1643 York Co to 1707 Renamed from Chiskiack Parish, in 1643.
Hanover 1713 Richmond Co to 1720
King George Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. Mary's Parish in Richmond Co. When King George Co was formed in 1720, from Richmond Co, Hanover Parish went too.
Harrop 1645 James City Co to 1658 Formed from James City Parish. Combined with Middle Plantation Parish, in 1658, to form Middletowne Parish
Henrico abt 1611 Henrico Co to aft 1785 This was an original shire & parish. (often called Varina Parish 1680-1714)
Hog Island abt 1624 James City Co to ????  
Hungars 1691 Northampton Co to aft 1785  
James City 1607 James City Co to aft 1785 One of the original shires & parishes
Jordan's Journey abt 1620s Charles City Co to 1688 also called Flowerdew Hundred
Kecoughtan abt 1610 Elizabeth City Co to 1619 Renamed Elizabeth City Parish in 1619
Kingston abt 1652 Gloucester Co to aft 1758 Kingston would have been formed about the time Gloucester Co was formed from York
King William 1700 Henrico Co to 1749
Goochland Co to 1749
Cumberland Co to 1777
Chesterfield Co to aft 1785
Powhatan Co to aft 1785
Formed for the French Protestant refugees at Manakin towne, in Henrico Co. After Goochland Co was formed from Henrico Co, in 1728, it served both counties. When in 1749, Cumberland Co was formed from Goochland, and Chesterfield Co from Henrico, King William Parish went into the new counties only. After Powhatan Co was formed from Cumberland Co, in 1777, the parish served all three counties.
Lancaster 1651
& 1657
Lancaster Co to 1654
      and to 1666
Sounds like the parish was extinguished in 1654 & reformed in 1657. Combined with Piankatank Parish in 1666 to form Christ Church Parish.
Lawnes Creek 1640 James City Co to 1652
Surry Co to 1738
When Surry Co was formed in 1652, the parish went too.
Lee 1664 Northumberland Co
      to bef 1680
Wicomico Parish called Lee Parish for a short time.
Leeds 1769 Fauquier Co Co to aft 1785
Prince William Co
      to aft 1785
Formed in 1769, from those parts of Hamilton Parish which were in Fauquier Co and Prince William Co
Lexington 1778 Amherst Co to aft 1785 Formed from Amherst Parish in Amherst Co
Littleton 1772 Cumberland Co to aft 1785 Formed from Southam Parish in Cumberland Co
Lower 1643 Northampton Co to 1691 Below Hungar's Creek. Probably combined with theUpper Parish to form Hungar's Parish
Lower 1643 Isle of Wight Co to 1734 see also Newport Parish
Lower after 1643 Upper Norfolk Co
      to 1646
Nansemond Co to 1737
Upper Norfolk Co was renamed Nansemond Co in 1646.
Lower 1654 Lancaster Co to 1656  
Lower abt 1664 Stafford Co to abt 1680  
Lower 1744 Nansemond Co to aft 1785 see Lower Suffolk Parish?
Lower bef 1632 Elizabeth City Co to 1636  
Lower Suffolk aft 1744 Nansemond Co to aft 1785  
Lunenburg 1732 Richmond Co to aft 1785 Formed from North-Farnham, in Richmond Co
Lynnhaven 1643 Lower Norfolk Co to 1691
Princess Anne Co
      to aft 1785
Princess Anne Co was formed from Lower Norfolk in 1691, and Lynnhaven Parish went too.
Machodick aft 1653 Westmoreland Co to 1664  
Manchester 1772 Chesterfield Co to aft 1785 Formed from Dale Parish, in Chesterfield Co
Marston 1654 York Co to 1674  
Martin's Brandon 1655 Charles City Co to 1702
Prince George Co
      to aft 1785
When Prince George Co was formed from Charles City Co, in 1702, Martin's Brandon went too. In 1720, it absorbed those parts of Westover Parish and Weynoake Parish south of the James River.
Martin's Hundred 1622 James City Co to 1712  
Meherrin 1753 Brunswick Co to aft 1785
Greensville Co to aft 1785
After Greensville Co was formed from Brunswick in 1780, Meherrin Parish served both counties.
Middle Plantation 1633 James City Co to 1658
York Co to 1658
Combined with Harrop Parish, in 1658, to form Middletowne Parish
Middletowne 1658 James City Co to 1674
York Co to 1674
Formed by combining Harrop Parish and Middle Plantation Parish.
Montgomery 1776 Montgomery Co to aft 1785 Formed from Botetourt Parish, when Fincastle Co was divided and extinguished.
Mulberry Island abt 1635 Warwick Co to abt 1730  
New Poquoson abt 1635 York Co to 1692  
Newport bef 1734 Isle of Wight Co to aft 1785  
Nomini bef 1653 Northumberland Co to 1653
Westmoreland Co
      to bef 1660
When Westmoreland Co was formed from Northumberland, in 1653, Nomini Parish went too.
Norborne 1769 Frederick Co to 1772 Formed from Frederick Parish, Frederick Co. Still mentioned in "Hening's Statutes" in 1777, so I suspect it went into Berkeley Co (now WV) when it was formed from Frederick in 1772.
Northampton abt 1643 Northampton Co to 1663  
North Farnham abt 1683 Old Rappahannock Co
      to 1692
Richmond Co to aft 1785
Old Rappahannock Co was divided into Essex Co and Richmond Co in 1692
Nottoway 1734 Isle of Wight Co to 1749
Southampton Co
      to aft 1785
When Southampton Co was formed from Isle of Wight in 1749, Nottoway Parish went too.
Nottoway 1748 Amelia Co to aft 1785
Prince Edward Co to 1755
After Prince Edward Co was formed from Amelia Co, in 1753, Nottoway Parish served both counties. Then in 1755, Nottoway Parish was divided, forming St. Patrick's Parish in Prince Edward Co
Nutmeg Quarter abt 1630s Elizabeth City Co to aft 1785
Warwick Co to 1657
 
Occohannock 1652 Northampton Co to 1663  
Overwharton abt 1702 Stafford Co to aft 1785
King George Co to aft 1785
The boundary between King George Co and Stafford Co was altered in 1776, and Overwharton began serving both counties.
Patrick 1778 Henry Co to aft 1785
Franklin Co to aft 1785
Formed from that part of Camden Parish in Henry Co. When Franklin Co was formed in 1785 from Henry Co (and Bedford Co), Patrick Parish began serving both counties
Petsworth abt 1652 Gloucester Co to aft 1785  
Piankatank 1657 Lancaster Co to 1666 Combined with Lancaster Parish, in 1666 to form Christ Church Parish
Piscataway abt 1681 Old Rappahannock Co to ???? Mentioned in a deed of 1681. Old Rappahannock Co was divided into Essex Co and Richmond Co in 1692
Poropotank bef 1661 Lancaster Co 1666  
Portsmouth 1761 Norfolk Co to aft 1785 Formed from Elizabeth River Parish in Norfolk Co
Potomac abt 1653 Westmoreland Co to 1664
Stafford Co to bef 1680
When Stafford Co was formed from Westmoreland Co, Potomac Parish went too.
Raleigh 1734 Amelia Co to aft 1785 Formed, with Amelia Co, from part of Bristol Parish in Prince George Co and part of St. Andrew Parish in Brunswick Co
Richmond 1692 Richmond Co
      to at least 1693
Formed when Old Rappahannock Co was divided
Rockbridge 1777 Rockbridge Co to aft 1785 Formed, with Rockbridge Co, from parts of Augusta and Botetourt
Rockingham 1777 Rockingham Co to aft 1785 Formed, with Rockingham Co, from Augusta
Russell 1754 Bedford Co to aft 1785
Campbell Co to aft 1785
Franklin Co to aft 1785
Formed from that part of Cumberland Parish, in Bedford Co. After Campbell Co was formed from Bedford Co, in 1781, it served both counties. After Franklin Co was formed from Bedford Co (and Henry Co), it served all three counties.
St. Andrew's 1720 Brunswick Co to aft 1785
Greensville Co to aft 1785
Formed by an act of 1720, with Brunswick Co. The Act drafted in 1720, was not passed until 1732. After Greensville Co was formed from Brunswick, in 1781 it served both counties.
St. Anne's 1704 Essex Co to after 1785
Caroline Co to aft 1785
After Caroline Co was formed in 1728, it served both counties
St. Anne's 1744 Albemarle Co to aft 1785  
St. Asaph's 1779 Caroline Co to aft 1785 Formed from part of Drysdale Parish, in Caroline Co
St. Brides 1761 Norfolk Co to aft 1785 Formed from part of Elizabeth River Parish in Norfolk Co
St. David's 1744 King William Co to aft 1785 Formed from St. Margaret's Parish and part of St. John's Parish
St. George's 1714 Essex Co to 1720
Spotsylvania Co to aft 1785
When Spotsylvania Co was formed in 1720, St. George's went too
St. George's 1762 Accomack Co to aft 1785 Formed from Accomack Parish
St. James Northam 1744 Goochland Co to aft 1785 Formed from St. James Parish
St. James Southam 1744 Goochland Co to 1749
Cumberland Co to 1777
Powhatan Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. James Parish, Goochland Co. When Cumberland Co was formed from Goochland, in 1749, Southam Parish went too. When Powhatan Co was formed from Cumberland Co, in 1777, Southam Parish went too.
St. James's 1720 Henrico Co to 1728
Goochland Co to 1744
Formed from Henrico Parish. When Goochland Co was formed in 1728, St. James Parish went too.
St. James's 1761 Lunenburg Co to 1764
Mecklenburg Co to aft 1785
Formed from Cumberland Parish. Mecklenburg Co was formed in 1764 from that part of Lunenburg which was St. James's Parish
St. John's 1680 New Kent Co to 1691
King and Queen Co to 1701
King William Co to aft 1785
When King and Queen Co was formed from New Kent Co in 1691, St. John's Parish went too. When King William Co was formed from King and Queen Co, in 1701, St. John's went too.
St. Luke's 1762 Southampton Co
      to aft 1785
Formed from Nottoway Parish
St. Margaret's 1720 King William Co to 1744
Caroline Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. John's Parish. In 1744, all that part of St. Margaret's Parish, in King William Co, was made a part of St. David's Parish
St. Mark's 1730 Spotsylvania Co to 1734
Orange Co to 1753
Culpeper Co to aft 1758
Formed from St. George's Parish. When Orange Co was formed from Spotsylvania Co in 1734, St. Mark's Parish went too. After Culpeper Co was formed from Orange Co in 1748, it served both counties. In 1753, that part of St. Mark's Parish in Orange Co, was added to St. Thomas's Parish.
St. Martin's 1726 Hanover Co to aft 1785
Louisa Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. Paul's Parish. After Louisa Co was formed from Hanover Co in 1742, it served both counties.
St. Mary's abt 1677 Old Rappahannock Co
      to 1692
Richmond Co to 1713
Essex Co to 1728
Caroline Co to aft 1785
Old Rappahannock Co was divided in 1692 into Richmond Co and Essex Co. In 1713, that part of St. Mary's Parish lying in Richmond Co was added to another parish. When Caroline Co was formed from Essex Co (also King William & King and Queen Co), St. Mary's Parish went too.
St. Mary's Whitechapel bef 1669 Lancaster Co to 1752  
St. Patrick's 1755 Prince Edward Co
      to aft 1785
Formed from Nottoway Parish.
St. Paul's bef 1702 Stafford Co to 1776
King George Co to aft 1785
In 1776, the boundary between Stafford Co and King George Co was changed, and St. Paul's Parish shifted counties.
St. Paul's 1704 New Kent Co to 1720
Hanover Co to aft 1785
When Hanover Co was formed from New Kent Co in 1720, St. Paul's Parish went too.
St. Peter's 1679 James City Co to 1767
New Kent Co to aft 1785
In 1767, the boundary between James City Co and New Kent Co, was altered, and removed St. Peter's Parish from James City
St. Stephen's bef 1674 New Kent Co to 1691
King and Queen Co
      to aft 1785
When King and Queen Co was formed from New Kent Co in 1691, St. Stephen's Parish went too.
St. Stephen's abt 1698 Northumberland Co
      to aft 1785
 
St. Thomas 1740 Orange Co to aft 1785
Culpeper Co to 1752
Formed from St. Mark's Parish. After Culpeper Co was formed from Orange Co, it served both counties. in 1752, that part of St. Thomas Parish in Culpeper Co was added to Bromfield Parish.
Shelburne 1769 Loudoun Co to aft 1785 Formed from Cameron Parish
Sittenburne bef 1664 Old Rappahannock Co
      to 1692
Essex Co to 1704
Richmond Co to 1732
King George Co to 1732
Old Rappahannock Co was divided in 1692 to form Essex Co and Richmond Co. After King George Co was formed from Richmond Co in 1720, the parish served that county as well. In 1732, the parishes of Richmond Co and King George Co were reorganized and Sittenburne was extinguished.
Smith's Hundred abt 1617 Charles City Co to abt 1619  
South 1643 Upper Norfolk Co to 1646
Nansemond Co to 1744
Upper Norfolk became Nansemond Co in 1646.
Southampton 1619 Charles City Co to 1622  
South Farnham abt 1683 Old Rappahannock Co
      to 1692
Essex Co to aft 1785
Old Rappahannock Co was divided in 1692 to form Essex Co and Richmond Co.
Southwark 1647 James City Co to 1652
Surry Co Co to aft 1785
 
Stafford abt 1680 Stafford Co bef 1702  
Stanley Hundred abt 1628 Elizabeth City Co
      to abt 1635
Warwick Co to abt 1635
 
Stratton Major 1655 New Kent Co to 1691
King and Queen Co
      to aft 1785
When King and Queen Co was formed from New Kent Co, Stratton Major Parish went too.
Suffolk 1737 Nansemond Co to aft 1785  
Tillotson 1757 Albemarle Co to 1761
Buckingham Co to aft 1785
Formed from St. Anne's Parish in Albemarle Co. When Buckingham Co was formed from Albemarle Co in 1761, Tillotson Parish went too.
Trinity abt 1670 Lancaster Co to abt 1724 Name used, but not officially established
Trinity 1761 Louisa Co to aft 1785 Formed from Fredericksville Parish
Truro 1732 Prince William Co to 1742
Fairfax Co to aft 1758
Formed from Hamilton Parish. Fairfax Co was formed in 1742 from that part of Prince William Co that was Truro Parish.
Upper 1643 Northampton Co to 1691  
Upper 1643 Isle of Wight Co to 1734  
Upper aft 1643 Upper Norfolk Co to 1646
Nansemond Co to aft 1744
Upper Norfolk Co became Nansemond in 1646
Upper 1654 Lancaster Co to 1656  
Upper abt 1664 Stafford Co to bef 1680
Upper bef 1632 Elizabeth City Co
      to abt 1636
 
Upper Suffolk aft 1744 Nansemond Co to aft 1785  
Varina See Henrico Parish
Wallingford 1643 Charles City Co to 1720
James City Co to 1720
 
Ware abt 1652 Gloucester Co to aft 1758
Warrosquyoake 1629 Warrosquyoake Co to 1637
Isle of Wight Co to 1734
Warrosquyoake Co became Isle of Wight Co. In 1734, the parish was divided with one part combining with Newport Parish, and the other forming Nottoway Parish.
Warwick abt 1725 Warwick Co to aft 1785  
Washington 1664 Westmoreland Co
      to aft 1785
 
Washington 1776 Washington Co to aft 1785 Formed from Botetourt Parish when Washington Co was formed from Fincastle Co
Waters Creek 1629 Elizabeth City Co to 1634
Warwick Co to abt 1643
 
West 1643 Upper Norfolk Co to 1646
Nansemond Co to bef 1737
Upper Norfolk Co became Nansemond Co in 1646.
West and Shirley 1613 Charles City Co to 1622  
Westbury 1664 Westmoreland Co
      to bef 1680
 
Westover by 1625 Charles City Co to 1702
Prince George Co to 1720
When Prince George Co was formed from Charles City Co, in 1702, Westover Parish went too. Westover Parish was consolidated with another parish in 1720.
[ Westover Parish has a webpage that says they have continued in existence, and obsorbed these other parishes, and retained the identical boundaries of Charles City Co.]
Weyanoke abt 1618 Charles City Co to 1702
Prince George Co to 1720
When Prince George Co was formed from Charles City Co, in 1702, Weyanoke Parish went too. Weyanoke Parish was consolidated with another parish in 1720
Wicomico abt 1648 Northumberland Co
      to aft 1758
see also Lee Parish
Wilmington abt 1658 Charles City Co to 1723
James City Co to 1723
Dissolved, and its parts were combined with other parishes, in 1723.
York abt 1638 York Co to 1707  
Yorkhampton 1707 York Co to aft 1785
James City Co to aft 1785
Added to James City Co in 1712



Updated January 20, 2013