Dr. J. M. Hill
a brief write-up of a collection of relics, belonging to Dr. J. M. Hill
of Wise, VA, that may be found in his office. Among this collection is
to be found various Indian Relics, old guns and petrified potatoes as
as skeletons. Each of the articles he has numbered and the foregoing is
a write-up of the more important ones.
in a deserted Indian village near Mossy Rock, Washington. It is made
a tomahawk of a deep red stone.
of a black stone.
instrument assumed for catching fire. It is made of black granite, in
shape of a new or crescent moon, with a hold the size of a lead pencil
through the center. A stick was inserted in the hole, with a raw hide
bow attached and by sawing another
across this it caused friction and thus the fire was started. The stone
weighs about one half pound and was found in North Carolina.
Indian Celt: a
about eight inches long and about three inches wide at the cutting
Weight about two and half pounds. Made and polished from gray, bastard
limestone. Was found near the Beaver Dam, on Guest River, Wise Co.
about four pounds. Made of bastard limestone and was found in the
Neck section, near East Stone Gap, Wise County. Among his collection is
various other tomahawks of smaller size.
of a very hard rusty brown colored stone, about fourteen inches long,
inches wide in the middle, tapering to a sharp point at each end.
six or seven pounds. Found in Powell Valley at the Country Club.
found near the Beaver Dam, on Guest River, Wise Co., VA. It has a
long slim blade, with a deep groove around the top for attaching
Weight about two pounds.
is another tomahawk weighing about thirty pounds and also an Indian
found near Skeet Rock, Dickenson Co., VA.
interesting relic in this collection is a charger used by the Indian
man to measure his medicine. It is a walnut colored stone, about three
inches long and would hold probably two ounces. About two and half
in circumference and has two rings cut around it. Was found by Berry
on top of Indian Mountain, Wise Co., VA.
Irish Potatoes, twelve in number. Found on the bank of Clinch River,
Dungannon, Scott Co., VA.
in the stomach of a cow. Four inches in circumference, two inches in
and weighs about three fourths of a pound. An old legendary saying
the Mad Stone is that it is a sure remedy for snake bite and
thing is a hand spinning wheel. This wheel was fastened to the table or
bench by a screw after the fashion of a food chopper. It has neither
wheels nor band but runs by friction. The master wheel is twelve inches
in diameter and the wheel has three smaller wheels attached to the
Wheels of this type were used by pioneer women for spinning yarn. This
wheel came from the mountains of Kentucky and is 110 years old.
used by the Jewish Rabbis to comply with the circumcision laws of
when a child became the age of eight days. This relic was taken from a
pawnshop and the identity confirmed by a Jewish Rabbi as to the
of it. It is perhaps over two thousand years old.
Another is a
of a bird intact from toe nail to wing and tail feathers. Was found
overhead ceiling of the first floor of an old home on the Pound, Wise
the Indians for grinding corn in a mortar. Was found in the Crackers
section of Wise Co.
of coarse grain chestnut, handle eighteen inches. Long spoon six inches
long by three and a half inches wide. These spoons were used by the
settlers of this county instead of metal spoons. Large spoons of this
were used for making mush or to render lard in large kettles.
He also has a
bill for 25 cents. These were used after the Civil War. This one is the
series of 1874, Act of March 3, 1863. It has Robert J. Walker's picture
on it. He was Secretary-Treasurer 1845.
used by early settlers. This one was formerly owned by a Mr. Johnson in
the Birchfield Section and is 110 years old. This is the cap lock type
of gun with a barrel length of 43 « inches.
in or prior to 1880.
this gun was the same type that was used by David Crockett and Daniel
It has been in the possession of Dr. Hill for 30 years.
caliber, short barrel. This type of gun was used as a bear gun by the
old and badly worn, origin unknown.
U. S. Rifle
in the Pan American War. Carried over from Florida and used in the
the Civil War. Barrel 22 « inches long. Caliber same size as
War musket, britch loader, used cushion caps same as the musket.
britch loader, barrel 22 inches long, with magazine five cartridge
Owned and used by Linkhorn Blevins in Civil War in and around
pistols in his collection. Very old, some using cartridge and some cap
and ball. One a 32-5 shot, center fire. Found near Pound Gap where Dr.
Taylor and the Fleming Brothers was said to have lain in wait and
a team and five people. Another a 32 center fire, using Smith and
Cartridge, one shot, called Clevis Pin pistol. It was held in the hand
and the barrel extending out between the fingers. Three and one half
long with a knob at the rear.
was used at the Pound Gap, Wise Co., VA during the Civil War.
One sabre, 44
long with brass hand guard, in sheath with two rings with strap
thereto for carrying. Used in Civil War.
in a field near Appamattox where General Lee surrendered.
Helmet, captured in dugout while the Officers were eating their
Taken by V. O. Hill during the World War.
One pair old
Stillyards. Has two hooks, beam and pea. Weight drawing capacity 50