Stafford County Site Search

Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Stafford County History and Historical Places

Drive Through Stafford County's History

The Army of the Potomac in Stafford County 1862-1863: A Driving Tour



18th Century Estate of Gary Melchers - American Artist

Location: 224 Washington Street, Falmouth - Phone (540) 654-1015


Ferry Farm

George Washington's boyhood home from 1738

Location: Rt. 3 East, Fredericksburg - Phone (540) 371-6066


Kenmore Plantation & Gardens

Home of George Washington's sister Betty Washington Lewis

Location: 1201 Washington Ave., Fredericksburg - Phone (540) 373-3381


Chatham Manor

18th century mansion that served as headquarters & hospital of the Union Army's high command during the Battles of Fredericksburg.

Location: 120 Chatham Lane, Falmouth


Aquia Episcopal Church

Completed in 1751 and one of the most Significant Colonial church buildings.


Oldest Home Still Standing in Stafford Co.

JOHN BALL, b. 1714; d. 1766.
  Contributed By: Janean & the Stafford Co. Mailing List

In the mid 18th century, yeoman John Ball built a one room log cabin with a loft in what is now Arlington Va at 5620 south 3rd street. Later he added a lean - to and covered the structure with clapbord. Amazingly this primitive cabin survives today. The house is a rare example of the dwelling of the ordinary person 1700. Plus it is the oldest house in Arlington. John Ball
obtained a 166 acre land grant along Four Mile Run from Lord Fairfax in 1742. To construct his cabin, he fell trees and hewed logs he notched the logs and chinked the cracks with mud daubings. John his wife Elizabeth and five daughters lived in this little house. An inventory of Johns estate indicates they lived a simple life, they farmed raising wheat and corn and kept sheep, cows, pigs and bees. John also had a mill on Four Mile Run and part of his mill stones remain on the property to day. Following Johns death in 1766 William Carlin purchased the house. Later the house was gave to Arlington Historical Society in 1975. The Ball house is on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in America


[Stafford Co/includes/footer.htm]