|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Wilson, Joseph Ruggles, before in 1822, in Ohio, son of Judge James and Annie (Adams) Wilson. He attended Jefferson College, from which institution he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1844; Princeton Theological seminary, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Divinity in 1846, and Oglethorpe University from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of divinity in 1857. He served as professor of chemistry and natural science in Hampden-Sidney College from 1850 to 1855; was pastor at Staunton Virginia, from 1855 to 1857; pastor at Augusta, Georgia, from 1858 to 1870; professor of pastoral and evangelistic theology in Columbia (South Carolina) Theological Seminary from 1870 to 1874; pastor at Wilmington, North Carolina, from 1874 to 1885; professor of theology in the South Western Presbyterian University, Clarksville, Tennessee, from 1885 to 1893. He resided in Columbia, South Carolina, and Princeton, New Jersey, until 1903, the year of his death. He also served as permanent clerk of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church, south, from 1861 to 1865; as stated clerk from 1865 to 1899, and as moderator in the year 1879. Rev. Dr. Wilson married Jessie Woodrow, a native of Scotland, daughter of Thomas and Marion (Williamson) Woodrow, and a descendant of the Rev. Thomas Woodrow, the ecclesiastical historian of Scotland, in whose honor the Woodrow Historical Society of Scotland was named. The Woodrow family has always been a distinguished one and stands high in the literary and church life of Scotland. He was the father of President Woodrow Wilson.
Thompson, John Reuben, a noted literary man of his time, was born in Richmond, Virginia, October 23, 1823; attended the private schools of his native city, and the University of Virginia, which he entered in 1840, pursued the academic and law courses, graduated in 1844 with the degree of Bachelor of Law; settled in Richmond; in 1847 became the editor of the "Southern Literary Messenger;" in 1854 went to Europe, during which time he wrote for the "Messenger;" upon his return went to Augusta, Georgia, while there edited the "Southern Field and Fireside;" upon the outbreak of the civil war he was much interested in the welfare of the Confederacy; in 1863 went abroad, combining some diplomatic mission with his literary work; lived in London and constantly contributed to the English reviews; after the war returned home and became one of the literary editors of the New York "Evening Post;" his writings were characterized by a tenderness and purity of style which made them charming, and he was among the most popular writers of his time; among the notable poems which he wrote were: "The Burial of Latané" and "The Death of Stuart;" he died in the city of New York, April 30, 1873.
Corcoran, William Wilson, born in Georgetown, D. C., December 27, 1798, son of Thomas Corcoran and Hannah Lemmon, his wife. His father was a native of Limerick, Ireland, who came to America in 1783, and settled in Georgetown, where he was magistrate and postmaster, and was a trustee of the Georgetown College. Mr Corcoran was educated in private schools and at Georgetown College. At the age of seventeen he commenced his commercial career in association with his two older brothers, who were engaged in an extensive dry goods and wholesale auction and commission business. In a time of great financial distress, 1823, the firm failed and made a compromise on a basis of fifty cents on the dollar. At a later date Mr. Corcoran discharged the debts of this concern at the full figure. Frm 1822 to 1836 he managed the large real estate interests in the District of Columbia held by the United States Bank and the Bank of Columbia, and in 1837 he opened a general banking and brokerage business in Washington. After three years, George W. Riggs was admitted to partnership, and the firm of Corcoran Riggs rapidly acquired a business of enormous proportions, accepting during times of war, a large proportion of the government loans. At one period in the Mexican war when the concern had negotiated government loans to the extent of twelve million dollars, a falling market reduced the value below the original rate at which the loan had been taken. As Riggs had withdrawn from the partnership, Mr. Corcoran sailed for London, and there enlisted the support of the most influential of the English banking houses. This transaction augmented the success of the already wealthy house, and in 1854, when he retired, Mr. Corcoran's property was estimated in millions. Of his memorable benefactions to the public welfare the most notable is the Corcoran Art Gallery in Washington. He was also the founder of the Oak Hill cemetery, of Georgetown and the Louise Home for Needy Gentlewomen; while his gifts to various colleges and universities, churches and theological seminaries, and to various charitable institutions abundantly testify to his spirit of genuine philanthropy. He is said to have spent in this way over $5,000,000, To the University of Virginia he gave, between the years 1870 and 1876, sums of money amounting to $6,000, of which $1,000 was devoted to the needs of the chemical department, and $5,000 to the uses of the university library. He died in Washington City, February 24, 1888.
Lay, Henry Champlin, a native of Virginia, born December 6, 1823; attended private schools of Richmond, and the University of Virginia, from which he graduated in 1843 with the degree of Master of Arts; then entered the Episcopal Theological Seminary at Alexandria, and was ordained deacon by Bishop Meade in 1846; went to Huntsville, Alabama, in 1848, and was ordained priest by Bishop Cobbs, and became rector of the Church of the Nativity of that city; was elected missionary bishop of Arkansas and Indiana Territory, and was consecrated in st. Paul's Church, Richmond, in October, 1859, at the time that the general convention met in that city; in 1868 the diocese of Maryland was divided, and in 1869 Bishop Lay was translated from his missionary diocese to the diocese of Easton, which consisted of the eastern shore of Maryland; he was a learned churchman and an eloquent preacher; the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by Hobart College and by William and Mary College, and upon his visit to the Lambeth conference held in England after the civil war, he was given the degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of Cambridge; he wrote considerable on theological subjects, among the most notable of his writings being "Studies in the Church;" he died in Easton, Maryland, September 17, 1885.
Waddell, Joseph Addison, was born at Staunton, Virginia, March 19, 1823, son of Dr. Addison Waddell and Catherine Ann Boys his wife, grandson of Rev. James Waddell, D. D., known as the "Blind Preacher," and great-grandson of Thomas and Jane Waddell, who in 1739 emigrated to Pennsylvania from county Down, Ireland. His father, Dr. Addison Waddell, was born at "Hopewell," April 19, 1785, graduated in medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, located in Staunton in 1809, and died there in 1855. His mother, Catherine Ann Boys (Waddell, was a descendant of Capt. Nathan Boys, of the Pennsylvania navy in 1775, city commissioner of Philadelphia from 1793 to 1797, also represented Philadelphia in the Pennsylvania legislature. His only son, John Boys, a native of Chester, Pennsylvania, came to Staunton, Virginia, in 1789, died in Philadelphia, November 20, 1798. He married Anna St. Clair, and their daughter, Catherine Ann, married Dr. Waddell. Joseph A. Waddell obtained his preliminary education at the Staunton Academy, then entered Washington College, now Washington and Lee University, and afterwards was a student in the University of Virginia, and subsequently pursued a course of study in law in the law school of Judge Lucas P. Thompson, in Staunton, and was admitted to the bar. He engaged in a general practice of his profession in his native city, but this not being entirely to his liking, he turned his attention to journalistic work and became interested in "The Staunton Spectator," of which he was the co-editor and co-proprietor for almost twelve years, up to 1860, when he was appointed to the office of commissioner in chancery of the circuit court presided over by Judge Thompson, and he was also served for many years as the commissioner of accounts of Augusta county, and clerk of the supreme court of appeals of Virginia, at Staunton. In 1865 he was elected a member of the Virginia house of delegates; represented Augusta county in the constitutional convention of 1867 which framed the constitution of Virginia, known in Virginia history as "the Black and Tan convention;" represented Augusta county in the state senate in 1869, serving as president pro tem. of that body. He also served as president of the board of visitors of the Institution for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind, at Staunton, now known as the Virginia School for the deaf and Blind, and as present of the board of the Western Lunatic Asylum at Staunton, now known as the Western State Hospital. He was the author of the "Annals of Augusta County," and of several historical addresses, the most notable being that read before the seventh annual congress of the Scotch-Irish in America at Lexington, in June, 1895, on the "Scotch-Irish of the Valley of Virginia." In recognition of his historical work, Washington and Lee University conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws. Mr. Waddell is a member and elder of the Presbyterian church, and in politics was a Whig before 1861 and a Democrat after 1865. He married (first) Virginia McClung; (second) Laleah Dunwody.
Ruffner, William Henry, born at Lexington, Virginia, February 11, 1824, son of Henry Ruffner and Sarah M. (Lyle) Ruffner, his wife. He was graduated from Washington College, whn his father was president of the institution. He took special scientific courses at the college and at the University of Virginia, and prepared for the ministry at Union (Virginia) Theological Seminary, and Princeton Theological Seminary. He was chaplain of the University of Virginia, 1849-51; and held a pastorate in Philadelphia, 1851-53. His health failed in the latter year, and he abandoned the ministry. He was a strong advocate of education, and was elected superintendent of public instruction in Virginia, and immediately devised a public school system so satisfactory that he was required to prepare a school bill, which he did and which was passed in July, 1870. He devoted him self to school organization, using the "Educational Journal," of which he was editor, as the official organ of the educational department, and established graded schools and normal institutes. After the plan which he drafted for the organization of the projected Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College at Blacksburg, was developed the present Virginia Polytechnic Institute. He twice declined a college presidency, but, when superseded in office through a politic al change, he accepted a reconnoisance of five hundred miles for a railroad across three states. He was employed for many years as geologist for corporations and individuals. At Farmville, in 1884, he organized a state female normal college, of which he was made president. After the school was thoroughly organized, he resigned in 1887 to give his entire time to geological examinations and reports on mineral properties. He made many contributions to scientific publications. and was the author of several volumes.
Koiner, Absalom, born at Augusta county, Virginia, August 5, 1824, son of Jacob Koiner and Elizabeth Koiner; was a descendant of a worthy German family, members of which emigrated to this country several centuries ago, the pioneer ancestor being Michael Koiner, who located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, about 1740, and shortly afterward made his home in the valley of Virginia, where his descendants are to be found at the present time (1915). His wife, Margaret (Diller) Koiner, was of French Huguenot stock. Jacob Koiner (father) served as ensign in the American army during the war of 1812. Absalom Koiner' boyhood days were spent on his father's farm, and he supplemented his meagre educational advantages by good reading, his favorite books bing the Bible and biographies of self-made men. Later he attended local schools, and in 1846 enrolled as a student in the law school of the University of Virginia, and in his junior year received the class certificate of distinction. During his course he was a member of the Washington Literary Society, thus acquiring a knowledge of public speaking. He began the active practice of his profession in Staunton, Virginia, in August, 1847, in partnership with Mr. Baylor, under the style of Baylor & Koiner. During his leisure time he pursued a course of reading, especially in political science, jurisprudence and government. In 1853 he was sent to the house of delegates from his native county, and in 1873 was again elected to the same office, where the principal question then was how to settle the state debt; Mr. Koiner was in favor of and introduced the plan of a sliding scale of interest, beginning very low; this was satisfactory to many of the bondholders, and on this basis there was enacted a law known as the "McCulloch Bill." His next political office was state senator, and he served as a member of the finance committee of that body for twelve years, chairman of the Democratic caucus of the Democratic state central committee. He was also the first chairman of the Virginia state board of agriculture after the organization of that body in 1888. Mr. Koiner retired from the practice of law in 1854, and from that time until his retirement devoted himself to farming, and journalism, occasionally, during the campaign of James Buchanan for the presidency, acting as editor and proprietor of the "Vindicator." Mr. Koiner was loyal to his native state, and prior to the war between the states was made captain of one of the first companies organized in Augusta county, and when war was imminent, he was elected lieutenant-colonel of a regiment of Virginia volunteers. On April 19, 1861, his regiment was ordered to Harper's Ferry, where it became a part of Gen. Jackson's division. Col. Koiner participated in the Hancock and Romney campaign, served in the battle of Kernstown, was put temporarily in command of the "Stonewall brigade," while Gen. Garnett was acting president of a court-martial in Winchester, and Gen. Garnett, being unwilling to bear the responsibility of commander at so great a distance from headquarters, ordered Col. Koiner to report and assume temporary command of the same. Subsequently Col. Koiner rendered valuable service in repelling Gen. Hunter. He was a lifelong member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. He married, April 15, 1850, Virginia M. Koiner, his cousin. They were the parents of three children.
Norton, George Hatley, was born in Winchester, Virginia, May 7, 1824; son of the Rev. George Hatley and Catherine (Bush) Norton; grandson of John Hatley and Anne (Nicholas) Norton, and of Philip and Catherine (Clough) Bush, and a descendant of John Norton, a native of London, England., who settled in Yorktown, Virginia. He matriculated at Hobart College in the class of 1843, left to study law in Virginia, but abandoned it for the ministry, and was graduated at the Theological Seminary of Virginia in 1846. He was admitted to the diaconate in July, 1846, and ordained priest in May, 1848, by Bishop Meade; was rector of St. James', Warrenton, Virginia, 1846-48; of Trinity, Columbus, Ohio, 1858-59, and of St. Paul's, Alexandria, Virginia, 1859-93. He was a delegate to the general council of the Protestant Episcopal church in the Confederate States; deputy to the general conventions in the United States, 1868-86; a member of the standing committee of the diocese, and a trustee of the Theological seminary of Virginia, 1865-93. He was elected professor of systematic divinity in the Theological seminary of Virginia in 1874, and president of Kenyon College, Ohio, in 1876, but declined both. He received the degree S. T. D. from William and Mary College in 1869. He was married, June 1, 1854, to Ann Burwell, daughter of James Keith and Claudia Hamilton (Burwell) Marshall, of Fauquier county, , Virginia. He contributed to current religious literature and is the author of:: "Inquiry into the Nature and Extent of the Holy Catholic Church" (1853). He died at Alexandria, Virginia, September 15, 1893.
Preston, Margaret Junkin, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, about 1725, daughter of the Rev. George Junkin, D. D., a distinguished Presbyterian divine and clergyman, founder of Lafayette College, and president of Washington College, Lexington, Virginia. She received her early education from her father, and private tutors at home, and she was so apt a pupil that at the age of three years she was learning the Hebrew alphabet, and from a mere child she thought in verse. In 1857 she married Professor John T. L. Preston, founder of the Virginia Military Institute, at Lexington, Virginia. Her first contribution to the press was to "Sartain's Magazine," in 1849. In 1856 she published "Silverwood," a novel which she brought out anonymously, though she was offered double price for use of her name. She was a keen southern sympathizer, and in 1865 brought out her most sustained poem "Beechenbrook; or Rhyme of the War," which she wrote by firelight during the evenings of a single week. This contained "Stonewall Jackson's Way," and "Slain in Battle," and brought her wide popularity. Her second volume of poems,"Old songs and New," came out in 1870; this work including poems from Hebrew and Greek story. In 1887 she published "For Love's Sake," and "Colonial Ballads." In addition she wrote "Cartoons," "Monographs," and "Aunt Dorothy." For many years she gratuitously aided in editing several of the best papers of the south, in order to advance southern literature. The New York "Evening Post" characterized her poetry as "belonging to the school of Browning;" and Paul H. Hayne said that she was "one of the best writers of sonnets in America." She died March 28, 1897, at Baltimore, Maryland.
Daniel, John Moncure, son of Dr. John Moncure Daniel and Elizabeth Mitchell, his wife, was born in Stafford county, Virginia, October 24, 1825, died in Richmond, Virginia, March 30, 1865. His father was the son of Dr. John M. Daniel, and eminent surgeon in the United States army, who married Mary Eleanor Stone, a daughter of Thomas Stone, of Maryland, signer of the Declaration of Independence. John Moncure Daniel was educated mainly by his father, studied law with Judge Lomax in Fredericksburg, Virginia, but did not complete his studies, his father's death rendering it necessary to earn support for himself and aid his brothers. In 1845 he went to Richmond where he obtained a position as librarian, which, while not lucrative, gave opportunity for indulging his passion for reading. The first exhibition of his skill as a writer was on an agricultural monthly,"The Southern Planter," to which he attracted so much notice that he was offered a place on a new Democratic newspaper (1847), the "Richmond Examiner," which speedily became the leading paper of the south. The brilliant invective of the paper led to his fighting several duels. Mr. Daniel's "Democratic" principles were of the philosophical European school, and he was enabled to harmonize his pro-slavery radicalism with these by the adoption of Carlyle's theory (in "The Nigger Question") which he interpreted as meaning that negroes were not to be considered as men in the same sense as whites. He was an admirer of Emerson and Theodore Parker. The literary character of the "Examiner" was very high. He was a friend of Edgar Allan Poe, whom he aided in many ways, and of whom he wrote a remarkable sketch in the "Southern Literary Messenger." In 1853 he was appointed by President Buchanan minister to the court of Victor Emanuel, and while there took high ground in demanding the same immunities for an Italian naturalized in the United States and visiting Sardinia as for any other American, and was indignant that Mr. Marcy did not support him in threatening a rupture of diplomatic relations. Garibaldi requested Daniel to annex Nice to the American republic, which Daniel declined to do on the ground that it was contrary to the Monroe doctrine. After seven years abroad he returned home at the beginning of the civil war and served on the staff of Gen. A. P. Hill. Being incapacitated from further service by a wound in his arm he resumed the editorship of the Richmond "Examiner." He was antagonistic toward Jefferson Davis and Mr. Elmore (Confederate treasurer), attacking them with great severity in his paper, and was challenged to a duel by the latter, in 1864. He was unable to point his pistol on account of his wounded arm and was shot in the leg in this duel. He predicted the collapse of the Confederacy and died three days before it occurred. Frederick S. Daniel has printed privately a volume containing his brother's leading articles during the war, together with a memoir.
Aylett, Patrick Henry, was born in King William county, Virginia, May 9, 1825, son of John Philip Aylett, Esq., and his wife, Judith Page (Waller) Aylett. His grandmother, Elizabeth Henry, was the youngest daughter of Patrick Henry; he attended Rumford Academy, Washington College at Lexington, Virginia, the University of Virginia, which he entered in 1844, and remained one session in the academic department, then entered Harvard College, where he was graduated in law in 1846; he began the practice of law in Richmond, in the fall of 1847, but the death of his father, who left him his executor with a large estate, induced him to return to Montville, the old home in King William county; there he practiced his profession until 1853, when he returned to Richmond, where he spent the remainder of his life; upon the establishment of the "Richmond Examiner," in 1847, he became a contributor to its editorial columns, and in all of his editorial work seemed influenced by the responsible position which the editor of a leading paper occupied; he was appointed by President Buchanan as a member of the board of visitors to the United States Military Academy at West Point, and was subsequently appointed by the same President, without his solicitation, United States district attorney for the eastern district of Virginia; this position he held at the outbreak of the civil war, and was immediately reappointed by President Davis as Confederate States district attorney; as a writer in the field of literature, he was as gifted as in politics and law; he married, February 23, 1853, Emily A. Rutherfoord, daughter of the Hon. John Rutherfoord, of Richmond; his death, in common with so many other distinguished citizens of Virginia, occurred in the dreadful calamity, when the floor of the supreme court room in the state capitol gave way, April 27, 1870; in all the sorrow of that affliction of death of no man was more sincerely mourned and was a greater loss to state and family than was that of Mr. Aylett; he was survived by his wife and three daughters: Mrs. William L. Royal, Mrs. John Enders, Mrs. Thomas Bolling, all of Richmond, Virginia.
Puryear, Bennett, born in Mecklenburg county, Virginia, July 23, 1826, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Puryear. He was graduated in 1847 from Randolph-Macon College, taught one year in Alabama, then was a student at the University of Virginia. In 1850 he was made a tutor in Richmond College, and the next year professor of natural science. The college was closed during the civil war, and was reopened in 1866, when Professor Puryear resumed his chair, later became the first chairman of the faculty, and was re-elected for seventeen consecutive years. Then, after an interval of four years, he was again chosen, and held the office continuously until July, 1895.
Morris, Charles, born at Taylor's Creek, Hanover county, Virginia, April 27, 1826. On both sides of his family he was descended from English and Welsh settlers in the colony of Virginia, several of them having been large landed proprietors prior to the revolutionary war. His father was Richard Morris, a lawyer and public man, who represented his district in the famous convention of 1829-30, where his eloquence and abilities gave him rank with the other great men that formed that convention. His mother before her marriage was Miss Mary Watts, the daughter of Judge Watts, of Botetourt county, , Virginia. Charles Morris obtained his early education from private tutors, by whom he was prepared for the University of Virginia, from which he graduated in July, 1845, with the degree of Master of Arts. Having begun the study of law, he settled in his native county, where he served for years as commonwealth's attorney. In 1850-51 he traveled abroad. In 1859 he was elected professor of law at William and Mary College, which position he held at the outbreak of the civil war. He entered the Confederate army as a member of the Hanover troop, which became distinguished as a part of the Fourth Virginia Regiment. Upon the reorganization of the Confederate army, he was attached to the command of Gen. Lafayette McLaws. At the close of the war he held the commission of major, having received his commission from Gen. John C. Breckenridge, secretary of war of the Confederate States. In January, 1869, he was elected professor of English in the University of Georgia, and in 1876 accepted the chair of Greek at Randolph-Macon College. In 1882 he was re-elected to the chair of English in the University of Georgia, which position he accepted and filled up to the time of his death, in May, 1893. Professor Morris represented to the fullest degree the best type of the southern gentleman of the old school. Among his most devoted friends he counted the late Henry W. Grady. As a compliment to Professor Morris, no less than as a tribute to their own merit, two of his sons after his death were elected professors in the University of Georgia, which he so well and faithfully served. On October 12, 1854, he married his kinsman, Mary Minor Morris, daughter of Dr. John Morris, of Goochland county, Virginia.
Baker, Richard Henry, born December 18, 1826, at Suffolk, Nansemond county, Virginia, son of Judge Richard Henry Baker, who was for thirty-five years upon the bench of the circuit court of Lelia A. Barraud, his wife. His father's ancestors were English people who came to this country in 1632, and his mother's were French, who settled here in 1700. He was educated at the well known boys' school in Amelia county, taught by Mr. William H. Harrison; at the Episcopal high school near Alexandria, Virginia; and at the Norfolk Academy, from which he entered the University of Virginia in 1847. There he studied for two sessions, being graduated in 1850 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Upon leaving the university, he began the practice of his profession in the city of Norfolk. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army as a member of the Third Virginia Battalion, and was afterwards appointed quartermaster's department for the city of Norfolk. In 1862 he was elected to the legislature of Virginia, where he served until 1865. After the war he returned to Norfolk and resumed the practice of his profession. In 1872 he was appointed a member of the board of visitors of the University of Virginia, on which board he served for four years. Up to the time of the war he was a Whig, and after the war he voted the Democratic ticket. He was president of the Norfolk Law Library Association, and a member of the Norfolk Bar Association, the Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association, the Virginia Bar Association, and many social organizations. On November 12, 1850, he married Anna Maria May, of Petersburg, Virginia. He died February 1, 1913.
Broadhead, Garland Carr, born in Albemarle county, Virginia, October 30, 1827. The family moving to the west, he was educated at the University of Missouri and the Military Institute of Kentucky. He was a civil engineer on the Pacific railroad, 1852-57; was twice assistant geologist of Missouri, 1857-61 and 1871-73; geologist of the state, 1873-75; United States deputy collector of internal revenue, 1862-64, and assistant engineer of the Missouri Pacific railroad, 1864-66. In 1866 he was United States assessor of the fifth district of his state. He was a member of the board of jurors of the Centennial Exposition, Philadelphia, 1876, and special agent of the tenth census, investigating quarry industry in Kansas and Missouri. From 1877-97 Mr. Broadhead was professor of geology in the Missouri State University, and from 1884-1902 a member of the Missouri River Commission. He is the author of several well-known works on geology.
Broun, William Leroy, son of Edwin Conway Broun, of Middleburg, Loudoun county, Virginia, was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1827, and completed his own education in the university of that state. He had no pecuniary advantages to aid him, but his strong purpose, honorable determination and inherent ability enabled him to advance to a position of distinction in his chosen walk of life. Throughout his entire professional career he was connected with educational work, and as an instructor he occupied successively the chairs of mathematics and physics in a college in Mississippi, the University of Georgia, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Texas. He founded Bloomfield Academy, Virginia, in 1856, and remained at the head of that institution until the outbreak of the civil war. From 1872 until 1875 he was president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College in Georgia. His connection with the Alabama Polytechnic Institute, formerly the Agricultural and Mechanical College, dated from 1852, when he was elected president. He remained only a year at that time, however, but was called again in 1884, and continued to occupy the presidency up to the time of his death, retaining the details of the administration very largely in his own hands. He was the executive officer of the experiment station from 1892 until 1897 and was president of the station council at the time of his demise, January 25, 1901. Dr. Broun's efforts were not limited entirely to the advancement of the institutions with which he was individually connected, but reached out to larger lines of development that have been of direct benefit to the south. He established the first manual training laboratory in the south, and the first well equipped electrical engineering plant. He had a high appreciation of the value of the study of the natural sciences, and encouraged the upbuilding of biological laboratories. His high conception of the aims and purposes of the land-grant colleges was clearly set forth in his presidential address delivered before the Association of American Agricultural Colleges and Experiment Stations at the New Orleans meeting in 1892. This was an earnest plea for that form of technical education which trains and develops the mind as well as the hand, and this, he urged, called for both breadth and liberality in the curriculum. He was the author of various articles upon educational subjects, setting forth advanced ideas, many of which have been adopted by different colleges and universities of the south. He died January 23, 1902.