|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Rutherfoord, John Coles, born in Richmond Virginia, November 20, 1825, son of Gov. John Rutherfoord (q. v.), and Emily (Coles) Rutherfoord, his wife, was educated in the private schools of Richmond, Washington College, now Washington and Lee University, and the University of Virginia, which he entered in 1841, and graduated therefrom in 1843 with the degree of Master of Arts; traveled abroad for a year, and upon his return studied law and practiced his profession in partnership with the late John H. Guy; represented the county of Goochland in the general assembly for twelve years; married Anne Seddon, daughter of William H. Roy, Esq., of Green Plains, Matthews county, Virginia, and resided at Rock Castle, Goochland county, Virginia, one of the best types of the old Virginia homes; children: Mrs. Bradley S. Johnston, Mrs. George Ben Johnston, John Rutherfoord, Esq., of the Richmond bar; Mr. Rutherfoord died August 14, 1866.
Broadus, John Albert, was born in Culpeper county, Virginia, January 24, 1827, son of Edmund Broadus, who represented the county in the general assembly of Virginia for many years. He was graduated from the University of Virginia in 1846, and was appointed assistant professor of ancient languages in that institution in 1851, holding the position for two years. In 1851, he entered the ministry, and for the following four years preached in the Baptist church at Charlottesville, Virginia. He resigned his pastorate to accept the chaplaincy of the university, and after two years returned to his church. In 1859 he was elected to the chair of New Testament interpretation and homiletics at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and subsequently for several years president of that institution. In 1863 he preached as missionary in Gen. Lee's army of Northern Virginia. Among his published writings are: "The Preparation and Delivery of Sermons" (1870); "Recollections of Travel" (1872-73); "Lectures on the History of Preaching" (1877); "Three Questions as to the Bible" (1884); "Commentary of Matthew" (1886); and "Sermons and Addresses" (1886). He was a member of the International Sunday-school Lesson Committee. He died at Louisville, Kentucky, March 16, 1895.
Coleman, Lewis Minor, born in Hanover county, Virginia, February 3, 1827; graduated with high honors at the University of Virginia, in 1846, and became principal of the Hanover Academy; in 1859, upon the resignation of Dr. Harrison from the chair of ancient languages in the University of Virginia, Mr. Coleman, who had been a pupil of Dr. Harrison, was elected professor of Latin, and relinquished his position in the Hanover Academy to accept the same; he served in that capacity but for two years, for in 1861, at the outbreak of the civil war he joined the ranks of the Confederate army, in which he enlisted as captain of an artillery company which he recruited; he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel of artillery in 1862; at the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862, he was severely wounded, and after three months died from his injury, March 21, 1863.
Southall, James C., who at the time of his death was regarded as having written some of the most notable scientific works of his times, was born in Charlottesville, Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1827; attended private schools and the University of Virginia, entering the latter in 1843, graduated in 1846 with the degree of Master of Arts; then became editor of the "Charlottesville Chronicle," and later the editorial writer of the "Richmond Enquirer" and editor of the "Central Presbyterian," and for a time occupied a position in the office of superintendent of public instruction; he was a great student, and in the list of his studies were archaeology, geology, anthropology and Biblical history; his literary works are various, among which may be mentioned "The Recent Origin of Man," "Epoch of the Mammoth," "Man's Age in the World"; he delivered a notable address at the University of Virginia at the opening of the brooks Museum; he married a Miss Sharp, of Norfolk; died September 13, 1897.
Hope, James Barron, son of Wilton Hope, of Hampton county, Virginia, and Jane Barron, his wife, daughter of Commodore James Barron, was born in Norfolk Virginia, March 23, 1827. He received his early education in the public schools, and entered William and Mary College, Williamsburg, Virginia, from which he graduated in 1847. He then studied law, and began practice in Elizabeth City. He began writing at an early day, and achieved some literary reputation from a series of poetical sketches which were published in a Baltimore journal, under the pen-name of "The late Henry Ellen, Esq." Upon the breaking out of the civil war, he entered the Confederate army, and reached the grade of captain and quartermaster, and serving until the conflict was over. At the close of the war, when penniless and crushed, he was made superintendent of the schools of his native town, an at the same time was editor of the "Norfolk Landmark." He produced "Leoni di Monota" in 1851; "A Collection of Poems" in 1859; "Elegiac Ode, and Other Poems" in 1875; and "Under the Empire, or, the Story of Madelon," in 1878. A poem of especial merit is "The Charge at Balaclava," which the "Literary Messenger" said,"combines all the wild and incongruous elements of battle, victory, defeat, death and glory, in its triumph and rhythm." His verse is characterized by thought, dramatic elevation, and keen observation. Mr. Hope was invited by a joint committee of the United States senate and house of representatives, to deliver an address at the centennial of the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, and read "Arms and the Man," which was highly praised as not containing a single commonplace line. His devotion to "The Lost Cause" is shown in his memorial poems, which are noble and touching. In "Summer Studies": he has produced summer sounds and summer scenes. He never fully recovered from the exposure and hardships of the war period, and, after years of failing health, he died, September 15, 1887.
Venable, Charles S., born at Longwood, Prince Edward county, Virginia, April 19, 1827, son of Nathaniel E. Venable and Mary Embra (Scott) Venable, his wife. He attended the schools of his native county, and in 1842 was graduated from Hampden-Sidney College, where he tutored for three years in mathematics, and at the same time studied law. He was professor of mathematics, 1846-52, with the exception of one year spent in study at the University of Virginia. He also studied in the universities at Berlin and Bonn, Germany. He then resumed his chair in Hampden-Sidney College, continuing until 1856, when he was elected professor of natural history and chemistry in the University of Georgia. After one year he accepted the chair of mathematics and astronomy in the University of South Carolina, which he held until 1862, although absent on military service during the last two years, serving throughout the war, the last two years on the staff of Gen. Robert E. Lee. He was professor of mathematics in the University of Virginia from 1865 to 1896, when he resigned. During 1870-73 and 1886-88 he was chairman of the faculty. It was due almost entirely to his efforts that Leander McCormick, of Chicago, Illinois, donated the great telescope to the university, and that %75,000 was added to the endowment fund by the alumni, and he also secured $70,000 for a natural history museum. He was the author of many valuable scientific works.
Crocker, James Francis, born in Isle of Wight county, Virginia, January 5, 1828, son of James Crocker and Frances Hill (Woodley) Crocker, his wife. He was only six months old when his father died. He attended a classical school in Smithfield, Virginia, and in 1850 was graduated from Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania) College as valedictorian of his class. He taught school, and was professor of mathematics in Madison College. He studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1854. In 1855 he was elected to the house of delegates from his native county. In 1856 he removed to Portsmouth, where he practiced law in partnership with Col. David J. Godwin. In 1861 he entered the Ninth Virginia Infantry Regiment as a private, and was made adjutant; was desperately wounded at Malvern Hill, and in Pickett's charge at Gettysburg was again wounded and taken prisoner, and confined in Fort Johnson. After the war he resumed law practice. On January 1, 1901, he became judge of the court of hustings in Portsmouth, and declined a re-election. He was a member of the board of visitors of William and Mary College. He has written various historical narratives relating to the civil war, and genealogy,"Gettysburg Pickett's Charge," "My Personal Experiences" etc. In all the aspects of life as a gentleman, a scholar, a soldier Judge Crocker is respected and admired.
Bagby, George William, born in Buckingham county, Virginia, August 13, 1828, died in Richmond Virginia, November 29, 1883. He was educated at Edgehill School, Princeton, New Jersey, and at Delaware College, Newark Delaware, leaving the latter at the end of his sophomore year. Subsequently he studied medicine and was graduated at the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania. In 1853 he became editor of the Lynchburg (Virginia) daily "Express," and was for some time the Washington correspondent of the New Orleans "Crescent," Charleston "Mercury," and Richmond "Dispatch." From 1859 he was, until its suspension near the end of the war, editor of the "Southern Literary Messenger," and at the same time associate editor of the Richmond "Whig," and a frequent contributor to the "Southern Illustrated News." From January 1, 1870 to July 1, 1878, he was state librarian of Virginia. He lectured frequently, and met with success as a humorist in many parts of Virginia and Maryland. He was the author of many humorous articles published under the pen-name of "Mozis Addums." His sketches were collected and published by Mrs. Bagby, as "The Writings of Dr. Bagby" (3 vols., Richmond, 1884-86).
White, John Jones, who served as professor of Greek for many years in Washington and Lee University, was born in Nottoway county, Virginia. November 7, 1828; attended the private schools of his neighborhood, then the University of Virginia, which he entered in 1846 and where he remained until 1850; then taught a classical school in Charlottesville, Virginia, for several years; in 1852 was elected professor of Greek in what was then Washington College, a chair which he held for forty years; after Gen. Lee's death, the college was called Washington and Lee University; Professor white was regarded by his students with the greatest affection; he was a staunch Presbyterian, inheriting his love from his Scotch-Irish ancestor, Dr. William S. White, one of the able men of the Presbyterian church in this country; Professor White died April 29, 1893, and is buried in Lexington, Virginia.
Tucker, St. George, son of Henry St. George Tucker, president of the Virginia supreme court appeals, and Anne Evelina Hunter, his wife, daughter of Moses and Anne Stephen, his wife, daughter of Gen. Adam Stephen, was born January 5, 1828. He studied at the University of Virginia in 1843-44-45, and took law at William and Mary College under his uncle, Judge Nathaniel Beverley Tucker. He practiced law, and in 1851-52 was clerk of the senate of Virginia and in 1853 became clerk of the house of delegates. He inherited a taste for letters from his father and grandfather, and in 1857 recited a poem before the literary society of Washington College, and in 1859 a poem at William and Mary College on the one hundred and sixty-sixth anniversary of the foundation. In the former year appeared his most considerable effort in prose romance "Hamford, a Tale of Bacon's Rebellion." This met with much success, and after the war it was issued under a new title "The Devoted Bride," by a Philadelphia publishing firm. After the election of Lincoln in 1860, Mr. Tucker took grounds for secession and wrote his war song "The Southern Cross." He had resigned the clerkship of the house of delegates, and opened a school in Ashland for the instruction of youths, but when the war opened he raised a company the "Ashland Grays" which was incorporated with the Fifteenth Virginia Regiment under Col. Tom August. He was made lieutenant-colonel, and saw service around Williamsburg, but his constitution was undermined from exposure and he returned to Charlottesville, where he died January 24, 1863. He married Elizabeth Gilmer, daughter of Gov. Thomas Walker Gilmer. He is credited with having been one of the wittiest and most gifted men in Virginia.
Hotchiss, Jed, was born at Windsor, Broome county, Virginia, New York, November 30, 1828, a son of Stiles Hotchkiss and Lydia Beecher, his wife' and a direct descendant of Samuel Hotchkiss, of Scotch ancestry, who settled at New Haven, Connecticut, in 1642. and one of whose descendants migrated to the Susquehanna valley in New York state, near the borders of Pennsylvania, purchased an extensive tract of land, and laid out the village of Windsor. Mr. Hotchkiss led the healthy, happy life of the country lad. The hours which were not spent in attendance at school or academy, or in outdoor work in connection with botany and geology, of both of which studies he was especially fond, were spent in the performance of such lighter tasks of farm labor as were consistent with his growing strength. In the winter of 1846-47, in association with a small company of other young men, he went to the newly exploited coal region at Lykens's Valley, near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. While he was studying the geological formation of this region, he was also engaged in teaching school, and when school closed he and another teacher traveled on foot through the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania, the Piedmont region of Maryland, the Shenandoah and the James river of the great valley of Virginia, and some sections of Piedmont, Virginia. While crossing the Blue Ridge several times in the course of this trip he became thoroughly familiar with many features of the land which were destined to be of signal usefulness to him in his later career. In the fall of 1847 he became a teacher in the family of Daniel Forrer, of Mossy Creek, Augusta county, Virginia, and his success in this capacity was so encouraging, that it resulted in the founding of the Mossy Creek Academy, which under his supervision, became one of the most noted schools of the state. For various reasons he sold his interest in this in 1858, and removed to Stribling Springs, same county, where he was at the head of a small school one year. He then, in association with a brother from New York, purchased an extensive, well cultivated farm at Churchville, in the same county, and in the fall opened the Loch Willow School for Boys, while his brother superintended all farm operations. The school was a flourishing enterprise until the outbreak of the war between the states, when one of the assistant teachers raised a company of infantry which was joined by some of the pupils, others joined the cavalry, and Mr. Hotchkiss dismissed the remainder to their homes, while he joined the army. It was at this point that his previous explorations of the country placed him in a position to render excellent service, and he was appointed topographical engineer. His first service was under Col. Heck in July, 1861, his next with Gen. Lee, at Valley Mountain. While there he almost succumbed to an attack of typhoid fever, but while convalescing he already returned to his duties by making a series of maps for the officers in command of the Rich Mountain and Tygart's Valley campaigns. He became a member of the staff of "Stonewall" Jackson in March, 1862, and his maps earned high commendation from this commander. After the death of Jackson, Mr. Hotchkiss was appointed major on the staff of Gen. Ewell, was with him on the first day of Gettysburg, and during the remainder of this momentous battle was stationed at Seminary Ridge. He was with Gen. Early in 1864 in the campaign against Sheridan, furnishing over a hundred maps during this year alone. He was with Gen. Rosser at Lynchburg, when Lee surrendered at Appomattox. He places his maps in security, as he thought, but their existence was reported to the Federal government, and a demand was made for them by Gen. Grant. In a personal interview with Gen. Grant at Washington, Mr. Hotchkiss protested against this order, offering to make exact copies for the government; Gen. Grant offered to pay for such copies as he could use and ordered the originals to be returned. Major Hotchkiss displayed great bravery and courage during the war; he had two horses killed under him, and his field glass intercepted a ball which would otherwise have killed him at the battle of the Wilderness. At the close of the war Mr. Hotchkiss made his home in Staunton, Virginia, there opened a school for no more than fifteen boys, and conducted this two years. He then was civil and mining engineer for a time, during which he made an exhaustive study of the natural resources of Virginia. When Gen. Lee became president of what is now Washington and Lee University, Maj. Hotchkiss took charge of the topographical department at his request, but the death of Gen. Lee interfered with the publication of his maps. For the purpose of making known the riches of the section he had so thoroughly explored he made trips to England in 1872 and 1874, also traveled in the north and west of the United States, with the same idea in view, and secured millions of dollars from these sources for the development of the mines and timber resources. His contributions to literature were also valuable. His "The Summary of Virginia," 1875, contains valuable statistics and maps; he furnished the mineral statistics for Virginia for the census of 1879, and from 1880 to 1886, he published "The Virginias," a monthly magazine of facts concerning the natural resources of Virginia and West Virginia. Scientific journals in this country and Europe also had the benefit of articles from his pen. He represented Virginia at the New Orleans Exposition, was one of the judges of mines and mining at the Chicago Exposition in 1893, and was frequently in the government employ as expert topographer, being especially commended for the service he rendered the Battle Fields Commission of Antietam and Fredericksburg. As a lecturer, he was in great demand, both here and abroad. He was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the National Geographic Society, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Philosophical Society, Stonewall Jackson Camp of Confederate Veterans, and June 30, 1896, he was commissioned "brigadier-general and chief of the engineer corps, staff of Gen. J. B. Gordon," the commission being signed by Gen. Gordon "general commanding the United Confederate Veterans." Maj. Hotchkiss had joined the Presbyterian church while still young, and in Staunton he was one of the founders of the Second Presbyterian Church, and was a leading spirit in it many years, as well as serving as superintendent of the Sunday school for a long time. The Young Men's Christian Association also had his hearty co-operation. He died at his home,"The Oaks," in the suburbs of Staunton, January 17, 1899. Maj. Hotchkiss married, December 21, 1853, Sarah Comfort, of Lanesboro, Pennsylvania, and they had children; Mrs. George S. Holmes, of Charleston, South Carolina, and Mrs. Allen M. Howison, of Staunton.
Claiborne, John Herbert, born at Roslyn Castle, Brunswick county, Virginia, March 10, 1828, son of the late John Gregory Claiborne, a distinguished lawyer and clergyman of Brunswick county, Virginia, and Mary Elizabeth Weldon, his wife. On his father's side he was descended from William Claiborne, the first settler of that name who came to this country from England. His great-grandfather, Augustine Claiborne, was clerk of the county of Surry before the revolution. His grandfather, John Herbert Claiborne, served in the Surry troops under Light Horse Harry Lee in the revolutionary war. Dr. Claiborne received his early education at the Ebenezer Academy of Brunswick county, Virginia, the Leesburg Academy of North Carolina, and Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, from which college in 1848 he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and in 1850 with that of Master of Arts. Afer leaving Randolph-Macon College he entered the University of Virginia, and graduated therefrom with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He subsequently studied in the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia and in the Pennsylvania Hospital, from both of which institutions he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine. In 1851 he came to Petersburg, Virginia, and began the practice of his profession. On April 19, 1861, he joined the Confederate army as assistant surgeon, with the rank of captain. He was soon promoted to be surgeon and major, and attached to the Twelfth Virginia Regiment of Infantry. While in the field he was elected to the senate of Virginia, a position which he was ordered to accept by Juda P. Benjamin, the secretary of war. In accordance with this order, he entered the senate, but resigned immediately, and reported again for field duty. He was then sent to Petersburg, where he organized the general hospital, and where he organized the general hospital, and where he remained until the city was occupied by General Lee in 1864, when he was made surgeon-in-chief of all general military hospitals, a position which he filled until the evacuation of the city of Petersburg on the 2nd of April, 1865. During the siege of Petersburg he was severely wounded, and was captured just before the surrender at Appomattox. In 1855 he had been elected to the house of delegates, and in 1857 he was elected to the senate of Virginia, where he served until the outbreak of the war. He was a member of the Medical Society of Virginia, and an honorary fellow, having been also its president; a fellow of the American Medical association, the Southern Surgical and Gynecological Association, and a corresponding fellow of the Gynecological Association of Boston; a fellow of the Victoria Institute of Great Britain, and of the International Medical Association, and an honorary alumnus of the University Medical College of Virginia. He was vice-president of the Medical Association of the Confederate Army and Navy, 1876. He wrote much upon medical subjects, was always a student of literature, and did much to preserve the history of the old régime in Virginia. Among his best known articles may be mentioned,"The Last Seven Days of Lee and his Paladins," "Seventy-Five Years in Old Virginia," "The Negro in the Environments of Slavery," and "The Old Virginia Doctor." In 1853 he married Sarah Joseph Alston. In 1860 he married (second) Anne Leslie Watson.
Thornton, John Thruston, familiarly known as "Jack Thornton," was born in Cumberland county, Virginia, in 1829, son of Col. John Thornton, of Hanover county, and Sarah, his wife, daughter of Charles Mynn Thornton. He attended the private schools of his native county, the University of Virginia, from which he graduated in 1844 with the degree of Bachelor of Law, one of the first men of the class; engaged in the practice of his profession for a short time, then engaged in editorial work; wrote with strength and cleverness, and early established the reputation of being one of the leaders of thought in the state; was also one of the best speakers on the hustings at that time; enlisted in the war between the states at the beginning of that conflict, for gallantry was promoted to a colonelcy in the Confederate army, and a greater promotion seemed possible for him when, in the memorable Sharpsburg fight, September 17, 1862, he was killed; his son, William M. Thornton, Esq. is a distinguished professor in the University of Virginia.
Peters, William Elisha, born in Bedford county, Virginia, August 18, 1829, son of Elisha Peters, a successful agriculturist and planter of Bedford county, , and Cynthia Turner, his wife; grandson of the Rev. William Peters, a minister of the Church of England, who came from England to this country, settling in Virginia in 1750, and his death occurred in 1773. William E. Peters was brought up on his father's farm, and his education was acquired in the New London Academy, Emory and Henry College, and the University of Virginia, from which institution he received the degree of Master of Arts. From 1851 to 1856 and again from 1858 to 1861 he served as professor of Latin in Emory and Henry College, the periods of time between these dates being spent in the University of Berlin, where he studied Latin and heard lectures. In 1861 he entered the Confederate army as a private, was later promoted to the rank of captain, then lieutenant-colonel, and colonel, and served with all the ardor of his young manhood. Upon his return from the seat of war, he was elected professor of Latin in the University of Virginia, and served for the long period of thirty-seven years, from 1866 to 1902, being made professor emeritus in the latter named year. He excelled as a teacher, his enthusiasm throwing a charm about his work. The degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon him by Emory and Henry College. Professor Peters published two books of high authority, namely: "Syntax of the Latin Verb," and "Latin Case Relations," both of which were constantly used by the Latin classes of the University of Virginia. He was a Democrat in politics, and a Presbyterian in religion. Professor Peters married (first) in 1858, Margaret Sheffey; married (second) in 1873, Mary Sheffey. He was the father of three children. His death occurred March 22, 1906.
Cooke, John Esten, was born in Winchester, November 3, 1830, son of John Rogers Cooke, a distinguished lawyer of Richmond. He spent the first nine years of his life near Frederick at Glengary, his father's country house, and in 1839 removed with the family to Richmond. He left school at ten years of age to study law with his father, was admitted to the bar and practiced about four years, in the course of which he wrote verses and short prose articles for the magazines. His first publication was "Leather Stocking and Silk," "followed by the "Youth of Jefferson, or a Chronicle of College Scrapes." Then he devoted himself to novel writing, an in four years produced six novels, including "The Virginia Comedians" and "The Last of the Foresters." The former was issued anonymously. The success of this work induced Mr. Cooke to avow his authorship and receive the benefit in literature of his growing reputation, though still devoted to the law. In 1861 he entered the Confederate army, serving on the staff of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, and taking an active part in almost every engagement on Virginia soil. At Lee's surrender he was inspector-general of the horse artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia. After the war he wrote a "Life of General Lee," a "Life of Stonewall Jackson," and over twenty novels. His publications not already mentioned include "Henry St. John, Gentleman," a sequel to the "Comedians;" "Surrey of Eagle's Nest," which is an autobiography depicting military incidents in the Confederate cavalry; "Hilt to Hilt," "Out of the Foam;" "Hammer and Rapier," and "Stories of the Old Dominion," from the settlement until the end of the revolution. Nearly all his writings relate to Virginia life, past and present. Besides he wrote a vast number of sketches, stories, poems, etc., for periodicals, which have never been collected in permanent form. He died at his home, the Briars, near Boyce, Clark county, Virginia, September 20, 1886.
Davis, Noah Knowles, born at Philadelphia, May 15, 1830, son of Rev. Noah Davis, of Salisbury, Maryland, and Mary Young of Alexandria, Virginia, his wife. He is of Welsh descent, his American ancestor and great-great-grandfather being John Davis, a native of South Wales, who settled near Salisbury, Maryland. Daniel Davis, grandfather of John Davis, was elder of the Salisbury Baptist church forty years, and died in 1856. His son, Rev. Noah Davis, was pastor of the Baptist church in Norfolk, later removing to Philadelphia, where he was given charge of the publication interests of the Baptists of the United States. It was due to his efforts that the American Baptist Publication Society was established, and while in its service he died at the age of twenty-seven years, leaving a widow and infant. Some years later his widow married Rev. John L. Dagg, of Virginia, and the family removed to Alabama. Noah Knowles Davis commenced his education in schools of Alabama, where the early years of his life were spent, and after proper preparation matriculated at Mercer University in Georgia, from which he was graduated in 1849, the degree of Bachelor of Arts being conferred upon him. Later the same institution conferred the degrees of Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy, while Baylor University bestowed the degree of Doctor of Laws. He prepared in the north for his career as an instructor, accepted a chair in Howard College, Alabama, and was subsequently appointed to the principal ship of the Judson Institute. In 1868 he accepted the appointment as president of Bethel College, Kentucky, and while actively discharging the duties of this office, was appointed to the chair of moral philosophy in the University of Virginia in 1873. Upon the completion of his thirty-third year at the university, he was invited to accept a life annuity on the Carnegie foundation, and retired from active duties, July 1, 1906, becoming professor emeritus of philosophy in the University of Virginia. He gained eminence in his career as an instructor. His teachings were not altogether oral, his facile pen being also in evidence. More than fifty schools and colleges in the United States adopted his treatises on logic, ethics and psychology as text books, and he was a liberal contributor to periodical literature. For more than a quarter of a century he has delivered Biblical lectures on Sunday afternoons at the University of Virginia, and these have been published in book form under the titles: "Juda's Jewels: a Study in the Hebrew Lyrics," and "The Story of the Nazarene in Annotated Paraphrase." It was due to the personal efforts of Dr. Davis that the local Young Men Christian Association has attained its present strong foundation. Dr. Davis married, November 25, 1857, Ella C. Hunt, of Albany, Georgia. Children: Noah Wilson, Marella, Archibald Hunt, Clara Bell.