|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Marshall, Charles, born in Warrenton, Virginia, October 3, 1830, son of Alexander John Marshall, and great=grandson of Thomas Marshall, born 1655, died 1704; was a student of the University of Virginia, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1849; was professor of mathematics at the University of Indiana from 1849 to 1852; then studied law, was admitted to the bar, and began the practice of his profession in Baltimore, Maryland; in 1861, at the outbreak of the civil war, he returned to his native state, joined the Confederate army the following year, and served on the personal staff of Gen. Robert E. Lee as assistant adjutant and inspector-general, with the rank of first lieutenant; from 1862 to 1865 he served as major and aide-de-camp to Gen. Lee and served with him in the Army of Northern Virginia; attained the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and with Gen. Horace Porter he arranged the terms of the surrender of the Confederate army at Appomattox, and he prepared a general order containing Gen. Lee's address to his army; Mr. Marshall wrote a book entitled "Life of Gen. Robert E. Lee;" he practiced his profession in Baltimore, Maryland, from 1865 to 1902, a period of almost four decades; his death occurred in Baltimore, Maryland, April 19, 1902.
Duncan, James Armstrong, was born in Norfolk, Virginia, April 14, 1830, died in Ashland, Virginia, September 23, 1877. His father, David Duncan, was a graduate of the University of Glasgow, emigrated to the United States, and for forty years was professor of ancient languages in Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, and at Oxford, South Carolina. James was graduated at Randolph-Macon in 1849, and joined the Virginia conference of thee Methodist church. During the civil war he was pastor of the Broad Street Church in Richmond, and throughout this period preserved a conservative attitude, never permitting politics to enter into his religious discussions, and endeavoring in every way, after the struggle, to promote good feeling between the sections. From 1868 until his death he was president of Randolph-Macon College. Dr. Duncan was a leader in the councils of his church. For many years he was editor of the "Richmond Christian Advocate."
Dickinson, Alfred Elijah, born in December, 1830, in Orange county, Virginia, and came of a strong and sturdy stock. At an early age he entered Richmond College, from which he graduated. He then attended the University of Virginia for special courses, and while there, became interested in the Baptist church at Charlottesville, and at the conclusion of his course of study became its pastor. In this work he was eminently successful, reaching many of the university students, and building up the church in every department of its work. Later he became superintendent of the Sunday school and colportage work of the Baptist General Association of Virginia, and in his nine years in this position, he organized many new Sunday schools, strengthened those already in existence, enlarged their libraries, and improved their facilities for work. During this period he was especially active and useful in colportage and missionary work in the Army of Northern Virginia Dr. Dickinson finally resigned to accept the pastorage of the Leigh Street Baptist Church in Richmond, which grew rapidly and steadily under his ministry. In 1865 he formed a co-partnership with the late Dr. J. B. Jeter, for the purchase of the "Religious Herald." This paper, founded in 1872, had been published continuously except for occasional interruptions during the war. The of the war found it greatly crippled and the labor of re-establishment was a discouraging task, but under the guidance of these strong men it soon entered upon a prosperous career. Dr. Dickinson's editorial connection with it has continued since 1865 until the present writing, making him, in period of service, the dean of Baptist editors in the whole world. More than half of his long life has been spent in this work, and his editorial career extends over more than one-half of the life of the paper itself. Dr. Dickinson's work on the paper was only one form of his activities. He was frequently engaged in special meetings; churches all over the state, seeking to rebuild their houses of worship and to rebuild their houses of worship and to gather their scattered membership, had his help. His success in regathering members, in collecting money, in enlisting the sympathy and securing the help of generous persons outside of the state, made him a notable and useful figure in those trying days. After the death of Dr. Jeter, it was decided to erect a building on the grounds of Richmond College to his memory. Dr. Dickinson was the active agent, and speedily brought the movement to a successful issue. In his earlier years he visited the state meetings of his denomination throughout the South and a great may in the North. In physical proportions Dr. Dickinson was notable. Of unusual height, broad shouldered, deep chested, with a massive head, he would command attention in any assembly. As a speaker, his style was colloquial and familiar. A keen sense of humor was a distinguishing trait and often served to relieve the tedium of lengthy and serious discourse. As a writer, his style was plain and unaffected, simple and lucid. He wrote no volume, but his contributions to the "Religious Herald" would, if gathered up, make many volumes of charming miscellany. He was the author of a number of monographs, one of which attained a circulation of over a million and has been reprinted in several foreign tongues. Dr. Dickinson was married three times. His first wife was the daughter of James B. Taylor, Sr., D. D., for many years a prominent and useful Virginia Baptist minister. His second wife was Miss Craddock, of Halifax county, Virginia. His third wife was Miss Bagby, of King and Queen county. Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Divinity.
Gildersleeve, Basil Lanneau, born at Charleston, South Carolina, October 23, 1831, son of the Rev. benjamin Gildersleeve, D. D., and Emma Louisa (Lanneau) Gildersleeve, the former of English descent, and the latter of French and German descent. Rev. Benjamin Gildersleeve was a Presbyterian clergyman, a teacher, and for many years editor of religious periodicals; his father and grandfather served in the revolutionary war, the family being among the early setlers of Connecticut and Long Island, and the father and grandfather of his wife also served in the same struggle. Basil L Gildersleeve acquired his early education in his home and in the private school of W. E. Bailey, in Charleston, and this was supplemented by study at the College of Charleston, at Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, and at Princeton College, New Jersey, from which he graduated in 1849, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and received the degree of Master of Arts in course. In 1850 he taught the classics in Dr. Maupin's private school in Richmond, Virginia, and then went abroad, studying in the universities of Berlin, Bonn, Göttingen for three years, obtaining the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from Göttingen in 1853. Upon his return to the United States, he engaged in teaching as private tutor for two years, and in 1856 was elected professor of Greek in the University of Virginia, which chair he held until 1876, in the meantime, from 1861 to 1866, having the additional subject of Latin. Upon his return from service in the war between the states, in which he served as aide-de-camp on the staff of (Confederate) Gen. Gilham, and later on that of Gen. J. B. Gordon, he returned to his chair at the University of Virginia, where he remained until he was called to the professorship of Greek in Johns Hopkins University, upon its establishment in 1876. He has published a number of text-books and editions of the Greek and Latin classics, served ad editor of the "American Journal of Philology," which was established in Baltimore in 1880, and is a frequent contributor to the magazines. William and Mary College conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws in 1869, received the same honor from Harvard in 1886, and the degree of Doctor of Civil Law from the University of the South in 1884. He is president of the University Club of Baltimore, and a member of various learned societies. he married September 18, 1866, Elisa Colston.
Henry, William Wirt, son of John Henry, the youngest son of Patrick Henry, was born at the old Henry place,"Red Hill," Charlotte county, Virginia, on February 14, 1831. He entered the University of Virginia in 1847, and was graduated therefrom in 1849, with the degree of Master of Arts. In 1853 he came to the bar in his native county, where he soon acquired the reputation of being a sound and successful lawyer. In 1861 he volunteered as a private soldier in an artillery company commanded by Captain Charles Bruce. He was commonwealth's attorney of his county for years. After the close of the war he removed to Richmond, Virginia, where he enjoyed a large appellate court practice. He served four sessions in the legislature of Virginia where he was regarded as one of its most influential members. He naturally took great pride in the history of his country and delivered many addresses upon subjects connected therewith. He was an ardent member of the Virginia Historical Society, and delivered an address in Philadelphia upon the centennial of the resolutions for independence. He was a member of the Peabody board at the time of his death. His great work was "The Life of Patrick Henry," which is a noble biography. Mr. Henry was a brilliant conversationalist and a charming companion. Some years ago he was president of the American Historical Association. His wife was Lucy Gray Marshall, daughter of Col. James P. Marshall.
Barksdale, Randolph, born in Amelia county, Virginia, October 25, 1831, son of William Jones Barksdale, and Marianna Tabb, his wife, daughter of John Tabb, of the committee of safety, and granddaughter of Sir John Peyton, of Isleham, Gloucester county, Virginia. He was educated in private schools, and at Amelia Academy, from which he entered the University of Virginia in 1848, where he remained three years. From there he went to the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in medicine in 1852. After spending twelve months in the Pennsylvania Hospital (Blockley), he went abroad, studying medicine and attending clinics, for a year and a half in Paris. In 1856 he began the practice of his profession in Richmond, Virginia, where he remained until the beginning of the civil war. In June, 1861, he joined the Confederate army, and was first assistant surgeon. He was afterwards surgeon on Gen. Longstreet's staff, where he remained until the surrender at Appomattox Court House. From 1870 until 1896 he was superintendent of the Central Lunatic Asylum of Virginia. He was a member of the Virginia Medical Society, and was a Democrat in politics. His first wife was Elizabeth Macfarland, of Richmond, Virginia, whom he married in 1858, and by whom he had three children. His second wife was Miss Patteson, of Petersburg, Virginia, whom he married in 1890.
Trent, William Peterfield, born in Richmond, Virginia, November 10, 1862, son of Dr. Peterfield Trent, and Lucy Carter Burwell, his wife. He prepared for college at a school taught by Mrs. Hobson and Mrs. Wise, and at Norwood's University School. In 1880 he entered the University of Virginia, from which he graduated, in 1884, with the degree of Master of arts. After some teaching, he became a student at Johns Hopkins University, devoting himself to graduate work in history during the session of 1887-88. In 1888 he was elected professor of English and history in the University of the South, at Sewanee, Tennessee, which chair he filled until 1900 having also served as dean of the academic department from 1894 to 1900. He resigned these positions in 1900, having been elected professor of English literature in Columbia University, New York City. He became known as a writer through many works, among them "The Life of William Gilmore Simms," published in the "American Men of Letters" series; he is also the author of "English Culture in Virginia," "Southern Statesmen of the Old Règime," "A History of American Literature," etc., etc. He is a member of the Author's Club, the Century Association, and the National Institute of Arts and Letters. In politics he is an independent. In 1896, Mr. Trent married Alice, of East Orange, New Jersey.
Marye, John Lawrence, Jr., born November 4, 1823, in Fredericksburg, Virginia, son of John Lawrence Marye, and Anna Maria Burton, his wife. He was educated in the private schools of Fredericksburg, and in 1840 entered the University of Virginia, where he was a student for two sessions. Upon his return home he studied for his profession in the office of his father, and soon entered upon a successful career as a lawyer. he served in the legislature of Virginia from 1863 to 1865, and as a member of the state convention of 1869, he returned great service to the commonwealth during the reconstruction period. In 1869 he was nominated for attorney general upon the first Democratic ticket after the civil war, but it became necessary to withdraw this ticket in order to unite the best element of the state against the carpet-baggers. This plan was successful, and resulted in the election of Messrs. Walker and Lewis as governor and lieutenant-governor. Subsequently, when Lieut.-Gov. John F. Lewis was chosen to the United States senate, Mr. Marye was elected lieutenant-governor in his place, a position which he held from 1870 to 1873. For years he was a member of the board of visitors of the University of Virginia, and serv ed as rector of the board. He was an able debater, and popular upon the hustings. As a citizen and churchman, he was faithful to the duties about him He was a successful lawyer, and the tribute of bar and people at the time of his death in August, 1902, attested his worth and character. His wife, whom he married in 1846, was Mildred S. Browne, a daughter of Dr. William Browne, of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Guigon, Alexander Barclay, born in Richmond, Virginia, February 13, 1831, son of Auguste Guigon and Ellen Smithey, his wife; his father was a Frenchman who came to Richmond, where he was a teacher. He was privately educated, and as a youth became a page in congress, where he formed the acquaintance of many of the distinguished lawyers of the country, which aided in determining his selection of a profession. After attending private schools in Richmond, he studied law and upon attaining his majority entered upon the practice of his profession shortly before the war. He was one of the original company of Richmond Howitzers, formed by the late George W. Randolph. When war broke out in April, 1861, the Howitzer company had so many members it became necessary to organize a battalion of three companies, which were mustered into the service of the Confederacy, April 21, 1861. Guigon, then a private, was made orderly sergeant of the second company, commanded by J. Thompson Brown. Guigon was with a section of this company, which was sent to Gloucester Point and fired on the gunboat Yankee, on May 10, 1861, the first gun of the war fired in Virginia. He served in the Peninsula campaign under Gen. John Bankhead Magruder; was at the battle of Bethel, and from the battle of Bethel (June 10, 1861), to the advance of McClellan up the peninsula (April, 1862), Guigon was, with a short interval of sickness, continuously with his company. On April 15, 1862, Guigon was commissioned captain in the Confederate army, and authorized to raise a company of artillery. The project was unsuccessful and he joined the First company of Richmond Howitzers as a private, but later was appointed ordnance sergeant of a battery commanded by his old partner, Capt. (afterwards Colonel) Marmaduke Johnson, and served in that capacity with the Third Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia up to its surrender at Appomattox. After the surrender of Gen. Lee's army at Appomattox, Capt. Guigon resumed the practice of the law in Richmond. In 1870 he was elected judge of the hustings court, being the first elected to hold that office after the war. After serving as judge for eight years, he died, February 22, 1878, and the event was the occasion of the largest meeting of members of the bench and bar of the city of Richmond and its vicinity ever assembled, and the resolutions passed by them express far more than the ordinary state formalities. Judge Guigon founded, in 1856, "The Quarterly Law Journal," the first law journal published in the south, which he conducted until shortly before the beginning of the civil war. He was a master Mason and member of Joppa Lodge, No. 40, in Richmond. Before the war he was a Whig, but when the war terminated he allied himself with the Democratic party. He was a regular attendant of the Monumental Episcopal Church in Richmond. On August 20, 1857, he married Sarah Bates Allen, daughter of James Allen of the firm of Davenport & Allen, Richmond, and formerly of New Bedford, Massachusetts.
Buchanan, John Lee, born in Smyth county, Virginia, June 19, 1831. In 1856 he was graduated from Emory and Henry College, Virginia, and at once entered upon what was destined to be a long and successful career as teacher and professor of ancient languages in his alma mater, which position he held from 1856 until 1878. He then taught Latin in Vanderbilt University, after which he became president successively of Emory and Henry College, and of the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. After serving as superintendent of public education of Virginia, 1886-90, Buchanan held the positions of professor of Latin in Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, 1890-94, and president of the University of Arkansas, 1894-1902, after which he retired.
Barnes, Thomas H., born May 28, 1831, son of James Barnes, and Elizabeth Barnes, his wife, and a descendant of immigrants who settled at an early date in Hertford county, North Carolina, and from thence removed to Nansemond county, Virginia. James Barnes was a well-known citizen of Nansemond county, and for many years was a magistrate and a member of the county court. Thomas H. Barnes was a student at Kinsale Academy in Nansemond county, Virginia; Buckhorn Academy, Hertford Academy, North Carolina; matriculated at the University of Virginia in 1849, studying there three years; then took up the study of medicine at the Medical College of Virginia, and graduated with the class of 1853. In 1854 he commenced the active practice of his profession, with which he was occupied until 1888, at the homestead where he was born. He was for a long time chairman of the county Democratic committee, and was for many years a member of the house of delegates and the senate of Virginia. He was of imposing height and dignity in bearing, and was known as the "tall sycamore of Nansemond." For a long time he served as a member of the board of visitors of the Medical College of Virginia, and that of William and Mary College. He was a delegate to the constitutional convention which assembled in Richmond in 1901, was chairman of the committee on county government, and rendered excellent service in the deliberations of this body. In his earlier years one of his chief recreations was found in fox hunting. He never married.
Williams, John Langbourne, born July 13, 1831, in Richmond, Virginia, son of John Williams, who was brought up in England, of Scotch-Irish descent, came to America in 1820, where he married Sianna Armistead Dandridge, daughter of William Dandridge, and granddaughter of Bartholomew Dandridge, a member of the house of burgesses and brother of Martha Washington. John L. Williams was educated in private schools and at the University of Virginia, from which he graduated with the degree of Master of Arts in 1851, having been distinguished in the school of mixed mathematics. He taught school for a year at Loretto, Essex county, Virginia, and practiced law for a few years in Richmond, where he subsequently went into the banking business. During the civil war he was a member of the firm of Lancaster & Company, financial agents of the Confederate States. After the war he founded the banking house of John L. Williams & Sons, of which he became senior partner. His firm had a large share in many of the large financial operations in the south; in the establishment of the Georgia & Alabama Railway, the S. A. L. Railway, and in building and organizing city railways and manufacturing industries. He never held public office, but took a deep interest in the welfare of the community. In politics he was a Gold Democrat, and was an active and interested member in the affairs of the Protestant Episcopal church, belonging to what may be called the conservative, or Virginia school. He was for years a delegate to the diocesan council, and was a deputy to the general convention of the church which met in San Francisco, California. He was devoted to the classics, and deemed by many to be one of the best informed authorities upon the English classics in the state. He was always a warm friend of the University of Virginia, where he educated his sons. In many ways he showed his affection for his alma mater, having presented to her many valuable gifts, which include contributions to her library and the portraits of Chief Justice Marshall and Commodore Matthew F. Maury. To him also is due the completion of the capitals of the pillars of the rotunda, which was done in his honor by his son, the distinguished railroad president, John Skelton Williams. He was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society of William and Mary College, to which he was elected in 1900 in appreciation of certain articles published as "Observations of a Philosophical Friend," and on account of his loyalty to learning. In 1864 he married Maria Ward Skelton, daughter of Dr. John Gifford Skelton and Charlotte Randolph, his wife, of Powhatan county, Virginia, she being the granddaughter of Gov. Edmund Randolph.
Tompkins, Christopher, born in Richmond, Virginia, September 17, 1847, son of Col. Christopher Tompkins, Confederate States army, a graduate of West Point Military Academy, and Ellen Wilkins, of Baltimore, Maryland, his wife. On both sides of his family he is descended from the early English colonial settlers. His early education was obtained in private schools of Richmond, Virginia, and at William and Mary College, from which he graduated in 1868 with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. He entered the University of Virginia, where he studied for one year in the academic department. After leaving the university he became a student of medicine in the Medical College of Virginia, and graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1870. After leaving the medical college he continued his medical education in New York City. He then returned to Richmond, Virginia, and began the practice of his profession, which he has since continued. He has been professor of anatomy and obstetrics in the Medical College of Virginia, and he was dean of the faculty. He is ex-surgeon of the Fourth Battalion of Virginia Volunteers (militia), and is one of the medical examiners of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York. He has been deputy coroner of the city of Richmond, assistant city physician, and is president of the Southern Medical College Military Association. He is a member of the medical staff of the Memorial Hospital of Richmond, Virginia; medical referee in Virginia for the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company of Newark, New Jersey; a member of the Medical Society of Virginia, ex-vice-president of the Southern surgical and Gynecological Association, and a member of the Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He has written a number of papers upon medical subjects. On November 8, 1877, he married Bessie McCaw, daughter of Dr. James B. McCaw, of Richmond.
Pollard, Edward Alfred, born in Nelson county, Virginia, February 27, 1831, son of Maj. Richard Pollard and Pauline Cabell, his wife, and a direct descendant of Col. William Cabell, of the committee of safety during the revolutionary war, he was also a nephew of Hon. Alexander Rives. After attending Hampden-Sidney College, and the University of Virginia, from which he was graduated in 1849, he began law studies at William and Mary College, and completed them in Baltimore He spend several years in travel in California, Mexico and Nicaraugua, and afterwards in Europe, China and Japan, and during this time won considerable fame as a writer. during the administration of President Buchanan, he was clerk of the judiciary committee of the house of representatives. while under deep depression on account of the death of his wife, his relative and intimate friend, Bishop Meade, induced him to study for the Protestant Episcopal ministry. However, journalism soon reclaimed him, and he gave himself to the duties of co-editorship on the "Richmond Examiner," in which, from 1861 to 1865, he supported the struggle for southern independence with sustained enthusiasm and ability. Toward the latter part of the war, in order to promote the sale of his published books, he sailed for England, but, while on the voyage, was captured by the United States officials. He was held a prisoner in Fort Warren and Fortress Monroe for eight months, and was then released on parole. He now established the "Southern Opinion," and "The Political Pamphlet," neither of which continued over two years. His literary laurels were chiefly won during the civil war, when he was undoubtedly the ablest writer in behalf of the Confederacy. Moreover, his position in this respect was somewhat unique, for he was a ruthless denunciator of President Davis. The later years of his life were passed in New York City and Brooklyn. His publications included: "Black Diamonds in the Homes of the South" (1859); "Letters of a Southern Spy in Washington and Elsewhere" (1861); "Southern History of the War" (1861-66 published in various forms and at different dates, in Richmond, New York and London); "Observations in the North, Eight Months in Prison, and on Parole" (1865); "The Lost Cause, a New Southern History of the War of the Confederates" (1866); "Lee and His Lieutenants" (1867); "The Lost Cause Regained" (1868); "Life of Jefferson Davis, with the Secret History of the Southern Confederacy" (1869); "The Virginia Tourist" (1869). He died at Lynchburg, Virginia, December 12, 1892.