|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Echols, Edward, born at Union, Monroe county, Virginia (now West Virginia), October 24, 1854, son of Gen. John Echols (q. v.) and Mary Jane Caperton, his wife. He obtained his preparatory education in Staunton and Lexington, Virginia, and from 1869 to 1871 was a student in Washington College (Washington and Lee University), and then studied law at the University of Virginia. He began to practice in Staunton, Virginia, and im May, 1880, was elected to the office of commonwealth attorney of that city, a post he occupied for six years. He was next elected to the house of delegates from Augusta county, and after representing this county in the lower house of the legislature for six years he was elected senator from the ninth district. In the eight years of his term he gained the reputation of being one of the senate's strongest debaters. In 1897 he was the Democratic nominee for lieutenant-governor, running on the ticket with Hon. J. Hoge Tyler, and was overwhelmingly elected. After retiring from office at the close of his four-year term as president of the Virginia Senate he for four years devoted his entire time to his private interests of importance and magnitude. He was vice-president of the National Valley Bank, of Staunton, Virginia, and in April, 1905, was elected its president. He died at Staunton in 1915. He married, June 5, 1895, Margaret Young, of Louisville, Kentucky, and has children.
McIlwaine, William Baird, born in Petersburg, Virginia, October 4, 1854, son of Robert Dunn McIlwaine and Lucy Atkinson Pryor, his wife, and grandson of Archibald Graham McIlwaine, a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian, who came to the United States in 1818 from Londonderry, Ireland. He entered Hampden-Sidney College, and graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1873. He joined his father in his commission business, and spent his nights in the study of law, and on December 19, 1878, was admitted to the bar. He built up a large practice, and held directorships in many corporations of importance, and from its organization the presidency of the Petersburg Telephone Company. He held the offices of councilman, representative in the house of delegates, and for three successive terms was state senator. In 1897 he was chairman of the senate committee on courts of justice, and made the speech nominating Thomas S. Martin for the United States senate in 1899. He married (first) November 7, 1877, Jane Maury Pegram; (second) December 28, 1882, Sarah Joseph Claiborne.
Wysor, John Chandler, born near Dublin, Virginia, May 12, 1854, son of George Washington Wysor and Margaret Ann Miller, his wife, is a descendant of a family of German extraction, the name in that country being spelled Weiser. In 1710 the first known immigrant of the name settled in the state of Pennsylvania. Subsequently Henry Weiser, who changed the spelling to its present form, Wysor, removed from Pennsylvania to Virginia, about 1750, and he was enrolled among Morgan's riflemen. His son, Captain Henry Wysor, commanded a company in the war of 1812, and his son George Washington Wysor, father of Dr. Wysor, was a farmer. Dr. John C. Wysor was brought up on his father's farm, and attended the schools adjacent to his home. Later he studied medicine in the office of the family physician, Dr. J. L Stearnes, and later entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Maryland, which he attended from 1876 to 1878, graduating in the latter named year with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He supplemented this knowledge by full or partial courses of lectures and clinics in the New York Polyclinic, New York City, during the years 1887-88-89, 1895-96. He opened an office at Christiansburg Depot, Virginia, in May, 1878, but removing in August, same year, to southern Minnesota, and after a two years' residence there returned to Virginia and located at Radford, Montgomery county, from whence he removed in February, 1882, to the coal fields in the Kanawha Valley, West Virginia, where he practiced until the fall of 1897, when he removed to Clifton Forge, Virginia. He has made a specialty of surgery, being highly successful in abdominal surgery, and he served as medical adviser and surgeon for a considerable body of railroad men, also as local surgeon of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad at Montgomery, West Virginia, from 1890 to 1897, and in the latter named year was made surgeon-at-charge of the Chesapeake & Ohio Hospital at Clifton Forge. He has also contributed numerous articles to medical journals. He is a member, and has served for many years as a ruling elder, of the Presbyterian church. Dr. Wysor married, August 27, 1884, Alice Eugenia Pugh. He resides at Clifton Forge, Virginia.
Keezell, George Bernard, born in Rockingham county, Virginia, July 20, 1854, son of George Keezell and Amanda Fitz Allen Peale, his wife. George Keezell was of German ancestry and took an active part in the war of 1812. George Bernard Keezell was a young child at the outbreak of the civil war, and as all men who were able to serve in the army were on the battlefield, he was early obliged to perform labors far in advance of his years. However, the strenuous work he performed at this period in cultivating the farm endowed him with a strong constitution and powerful physique. He utilized every spare moment to read history and biography, and standard literature of all kinds, and this supplemented the educational training he acquired at a collegiate institute in Baltimore, Maryland. At the age of seventeen years he stopped school and devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. He was elected a state senator in 1883, and was one of the recognized leaders in that body. For more than twenty years he served as a member of the finance committee of the senate. In 1901-02 he served as a member of the constitutional convention from Rockingham county; he has served as a member of the state board of fisheries, and was a member of the committee on renovating and rebuilding the state capitol. Mr. Keezell married (first) Mary Katherine Hannah, (second) Belle C. Hannah. His address is Keezletown, Rockingham county, Virginia.
Mason, John E., born at Edge Hill, Albemarle county, Virginia, July 11, 1854, son of Charles Mason, of Alto, King George county, Virginia, and Maria Jefferson Carr Randolph, his wife; and grandson of Thomas Jefferson Randolph and Jane Nicholas, his wife. Charles Mason was one of the influential citizens of Edge Hill, representing his district in the state senate. His John E. Mason, was raised on his father's farm, and his education was acquired at Bethel Military Academy in Fauquier county, Virginia, and at Dale Academy, Madison county, Virginia, both noted institutions, and later at the University of Virginia, which he entered in 1874, and where he pursued a law course for one year. He graduated from the law school of Columbian University, Washington, D. C., in the class of 1878, receiving therefrom the degree of Bachelor of Law. He was admitted to the bar in September, 1878. he located for the active practice of his profession in King George county, Virginia. He served in the capacity of commonwealth's attorney of King George county, being elected to that office three times; was also elected three times to the Virginia house of delegates, serving from 1889 to 1895; became a member of the Virginia senate, which office he resigned in 1898 to accept the judgeship of the tenth circuit, and in the reorganization of the judicial districts of the state under the new constitution, he was elected judge of the fifteenth circuit without opposition. Judge Mason married, November 24, 1885, Kate Kearney Henry, who bore him three children.
Moffett, William Walter, born July 19, 1854, son of John Moffett, descended from henry Moffett, an Englishman, born in 1705, who settled in Virginia. He attended an "old field" school, and later Rappahannock Academy. He read law under the preceptorship of his uncle, Horatio G. Moffett. He engaged in practice in Rappahannock county in 1877, and in 1878 established the "Blue Ridge Echo," in association with his cousin, Horatio G. Moffett, Jr., and remained its editor until 1885. For a number of year he was a member of the Democratic state committee, beginning in 1883, and in that year was also elected to the house of delegates. In 1891 he removed to Salem, Roanoke county, and associated himself in partnership with Hon. A. B. Pugh. He was made judge of Roanoke county court in June, 1893, and occupied the office almost eleven years. In January, 1906, he was elected circuit judge. His religious affiliation is with the Baptist denomination; he was president of the Baptist General Association of Virginia 1903-05, and for a number of years served as moderator of the Valley Association. He was connected with a number of educational and charitable institutions. He married, February 22, 1883, Jessie Mary Dudley.
Hughes, Robert Morton, born in Abingdon, Virginia, September 10, 1855, son of the late Judge Robert W. Hughes, for twenty-four years United States district judge for the eastern district of Virginia, and Eliza M. Johnston, his wife. His paternal ancestors came to Virginia with the Huguenot emigration about 1700, and settled near Manakintown, above Richmond Seven members of his family were in company in the revolutionary war. He was educated at private schools near Abingdon, Virginia, and at William and Mary College, which he entered in 1870, being graduated therefrom in 1873 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. The same year he entered the University of Virginia, where he remained for four years, and graduated with the degree of Master of Arts. During the last year of his university course he took the law course as well as the academic courses necessary to complete his master's degree; and took the summer law course under Professor John B. Minor, the ensuing summer. In the fall of 1877 he located at Norfolk, and began the practice of his profession. He was in 1895 elected president of the Virginia State Bar Association. He is president of the Virginia chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, and is a member of the Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association, the Maritime Law Association, the American Bar Association, and the International Law Association. He is also rector of the board of visitors of William and Mary College, and member of the state board for examining applicants to practice law. He is the author of a "Biography of General Joseph E. Johnston," published by Appleton & Company, in 1893, and also of a work on "Admiralty," published by the West Publishing Company in 1901. He is a Republican in politics. On February 19, 1879, he married Mattie L. Smith, of Williamsburg, Virginia, daughter of Sydney Smith, Esq., and has two children. His address is Norfolk, Virginia.
Thom, Alfred Pembroke, born in Northampton county, Virginia, December 15, 1854, son of Dr. William Alexander Thom, and Anne Parker, his wife. His paternal ancestor, Alexander Thom, settled first in Westmoreland and subsequently removed to Culpeper county, Virginia, and became the ancestor of a number of distinguished men of that name in Virginia and Maryland. Dr. Thom was a member of the Confederate army, surgeon and April in the Army of Northern Virginia. He had charge of the Banner Hospital at Richmond, Virginia, and served as the chief of staff in many other hospitals. Among the other members of this family who served in the Confederate army was Dr. William A. Thom's brother, the well known Dr. Joseph Pembroke Thom, of Baltimore, Maryland, who had been a veteran in the Mexican war, and who was wounded seven times in the battle of Kernston, as a member of Stonewall Jackson's command. Alfred P. Thom was educated at private schools of Northampton county, Virginia, and at the school of Dr. Robert Atkinson, in Baltimore. After one year at Richmond College, Richmond, Virginia, he entered the University of Virginia in 1872, where he spent four years. After his graduation, in 1876, he began the practice of the law in Northampton county, Virginia, where he remained for two years, and then moved to Norfolk, Virginia, and became a member of the firm of Ellis & Thom. This firm continued business for four years and he then formed a partnership with R. B. Tunstall, Esq. under the firm name of Tunstall & Thom, which continued for seventeen years, when, by the introduction into it of William H. White, Esq., it became known as the firm of White, Tunstall & Thom. Mr. Thom is division counsel for the Southern Railway Company for the state of Virginia, general counsel for the Atlantic & Danville Railway Company, and various other corporations. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1901-02, where he made a reputation as a strong debater and learned constitutional lawyer. He is a member of the Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association, the Virginia State Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. On September 20, 1881, he married Mrs. Jennie Williamson Baylor (née Tunstall), of Norfolk, Virginia. His address is Norfolk, Virginia.
Catlett, Robert, born in Petersburg, Virginia, May 27, 1855, son of John Robert Catlett and Celine Henry, his wife. On his father's side he is descended from Colonel John Catlett, who represented Essex county in the Virginia house of burgesses in 1693, 1695, 1700 and 1702. He attended Charlotte Hall, Maryland, and afterwards graduated in the academic course at the Maryland Agricultural College. In 1876-1877 he took a law course at the University of Virginia, and soon after entered upon practice in Charlotte county, Virginia. In 1887 he was elected to the house of delegates, and served eight years. In 1904 he served for a short time as superintendent of schools. Later he was appointed assistant attorney-general of Virginia. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias. He married Jennie Daniel, September 7, 1881.
Yancey, Robert Davis, born at Lynchburg, Virginia, September 15, 1855, son of William T. Yancey and Lucy E. Davis, his wife. Paternally he is of English descent; his great-grandfather, Robert Yancey, was a captain in the revolution, and his son, Joel Yancey, a major in the war of 1812, and a friend of Thomas Jefferson, who lived on the adjoining farm. Lucy E. Davis was a descendant of Henry Davis, who was a first cousin of Major-General Emmet Rodes, of the Confederate States army. Robert Davis Yancey attended school in Lynchburg, and then entered the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, graduated in 1875. He entered the law department of the University of Virginia in the fall of 1875, studied under Professor John B. Minor and Stephen O. Southall, graduated in 1877, and began practice in Lynchburg. He was mayor of the city, 1890-1894; commonwealth's attorney, 1894, six terms of two years each, and in 1906 was again elected for a term of four years. He served many years in the state body of the National Guard, held many non-commissioned and commissioned posts, for seven years was a captain, and in 1887-89, under Governors Charles T. O'Ferrall and Fitz Hugh Lee, was colonel in command of all the state troops, sent to the coal fields to preserve order during the strikes.
Gordon, Armistead Churchill, born in Albemarle county, Virginia, December 20, 1855, son of George Loyall Gordon and Mary Long Daniel, his wife. On his father's side he is descended from John Gordon, who about 1738 came from the North of Ireland to Middlesex county, Virginia, and engaged largely in the exporting of tobacco. His paternal grandfather was Gen. William F. Gordon, of Albemarle county, Virginia, who, when in the congress of the United States, originated the federal independent treasury system; and who, as delegate from Albemarle, in the Virginia house of delegates, had charge of Mr. Jefferson's bill to establish the University of Virginia. His maternal ancestors are the Stiths, Randolphs, and Bassets of Virginia, and the Longs and Daniels of North Carolina; his mother's great-grandfather, Col. Nicholas Long, of Halifax, North Carolina, having been commissary-general of that state during the revolutionary war, and his mother's father, Judge Joseph J. Daniel, having been for years on the supreme court of that state. His paternal ancestor, Col. Reuben Lindsay, of Albemarle county, Virginia, served with the Marquis de Lafayette during the revolutionary war. His father was killed in action at the battle of Malvern Hill, one of the bloodiest battles of the civil war. His early education was obtained at the private school of Warrenton North Carolina, known as Dugger's Academy. He afterwards was taught in the Charlottesville Institute by Major Horace W. Jones, from which he entered the University of Virginia in 1873, where he remained for two sessions studying the academic branches. After leaving the University he taught a private school in Charlottesville for several years, during which time he read law, taking three summer courses at the University of Virginia under Professor John B. Minor. In the fall of 1879 he began the practice of his profession in Staunton, Virginia. He was mayor of the city of Staunton, commonwealth's attorney for the city of Staunton and the county of Augusta, city attorney of Staunton, president of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the city and county Democratic committees, and member of the board of visitors of the university, of which board he is at this time the rector; was a member of the board of visitors of William and Mary College and chairman of the state library board of Virginia; also a member of the New Spalding Club of Aberdeen University, Scotland. Though actively engaged in his profession, he was always a devoted student of literature, and contributed largely to the literature of the time in the way of books, magazine articles and addresses. Among these may be mentioned a book of Confederate poems entitled "For Truth and Freedom," a volume of ballads which he was edited called "The Gay Gordons," and a volume of stories privately printed, "Envion and Other Tales." In connection with Thomas Nelson Page he published a volume of dialect poems "Befo' the War." He also published a volume on finance, "Congressional Currency." He delivered addresses before the Scotch-Irish Society of America, the West Virginia State Bar Association, the Phi Beta Kappa Society of William and Mary College, of which society he was a member, and other societies. On October 17, 1883, he married Maria Breckinridge Catlett, of Staunton, Virginia.
Crump, Beverley Tucker, born in Richmond, Virginia, June 10, 1854, son of the late Judge William W. Crump. His early education was obtained at Professor Charles Morris' private school in Hanover county, and at the school of Mr. John M. Strother in the city of Richmond. In 1870 he entered the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, Virginia, and graduated at the head of his class in July, 1873. In 1874 he went to Europe, and attended the University of Berlin three semesters, and the University of Goettingen two semesters. Having taken full course of Roman law in the above universities he matriculated as a law student in University of Virginia in 1877, and graduated in June, 1878. He began the practice of his profession in the city of Richmond in the fall of 1878, being associated with his father, under the style of W. W. & B. T. Crump, which partnership continued until the death of Judge Crump in February, 1897, after which time he practiced alone. He was engaged largely in corporation practice. In July, 1902, he was elected by the legislature of Virginia to the judgeship of the tenth judicial circuit, to succeed Judge Beverly R. Wellford, and in the fall of the same year, before taking office, he was appointed by the governor of Virginia one of the three members of the state corporation commission, created under the new constitution, and upon the organization of the commission was made chairman. He has been a member of the board of aldermen of the city of Richmond, and also of the legislature of Virginia, from 1892 to 1894. On October 15, 1884, he married Henrietta O. Tayloe, of Mt. Airy, Richmond county, Virginia, and had four children. His address is Richmond, Virginia.
Page, Thomas Jefferson, born at Shelby, Gloucester county, Virginia, January 4, 1808, son of Mann Page, who was the eldest son of John Page, member of Congress and three times governor of Virginia. His maternal grandfather was Thomas Nelson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. In recognition of the services of Gen. Nelson to the United States, his daughter, the widowed Mrs. Page, was offered appointments to the Military Academy for her two sons. Her youngest son, Thomas, preferred the navy, and was appointed midshipman on the school-ship at Norfolk, there being no naval academy at that time. He was soon ordered to the flagship Eric, bound for the West Indies; and, although the youngest midshipman aboard, he was for a short time during the cruise absolute commander of the flagship. All the officers being ill with yellow fever, young Page, with the assistance of another midshipman, brought the ship safely home to Norfolk, and was highly commended for his skill. He was for several years connected with the coast survey; became a lieutenant in 1839. He was assigned to duty in the China seas, then infested with pirates, and,,in command of the Dolphin, rendered gallant service by the capture of one of their largest junks. In 1851 Captain Page was given command of the Water Witch, and sent on an exploring expedition to the La Plata country, with full diplomatic powers to form commercial treaties with the South American states in that region. The first part of the expedition consumed three years. His report gave great satisfaction to the government, and was translated into many languages. After a mission to Paraguay, he returned to Washington just before the civil war. Upon the secession of Virginia he resigned his commission in the United States navy, and in 1862 was sent to England by the Confederate government, to take command of an ironclad, then being constructed on the Mersey, to be used in keeping open the Confederate ports. The ship, however, was seized by the British government, and Captain Page assumed command of the Stonewall, an ironclad built in France. When he reached Havana, on his way home, he received tidings of Lee's surrender, and consigned his ship to the Spanish authorities. Captain Page then made his home in Buenos Ayres, where he enjoyed a high reputation ans was associated for some years with ex-President Uzquiza in extensive cattle and sheep farming. He was sent by the Argentine government to England to superintend the construction of two ironclads and two gunboats, which formed the nucleus of the Argentine navy. His declining years were passed in Italy, where he took up his residence about 1880. Captain Page was married in Washington, November 8, 1839, to Benjamina, daughter of Benjamin Price, of Welsh descent, and had eight children. He died in Rome, October 26, 1899.
Selden, William, born at Norfolk, Virginia, August 15, 1808, son of Dr. William Boswell and Charlotte (Colgate) Selden, and a descendant of Samuel Selden, a lawyer, who came to America in 1699, and settled in Virginia on land granted to his wife, Rebecca Yeo. Their son, also a lawyer, was deputy king's attorney and sheriff in Lancaster county, Virginia; and his son, William, was Dr. Selden's grandfather. William Selden was educated in the schools of his native city and at the University of Virginia, and made his professional studies at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was graduated in 1830. He continued advanced work in medicine in London and Paris for several years, and after his return to America began practice in his native city. He devoted particular attention to internal diseases and enjoyed an exceptional reputation as diagnostician throughout the South. His wide experience in matters of public health, particularly in regard to the yellow fever, led to his appointment by congress in 1878 on the commission of experts to investigate the nature and cause of that disease, but he was prevented from serving by failing health. He was for several years also a member of the town council and board of health of Norfolk. Early in his career he was offered professorships at the universities of Virginia and Pennsylvania. His declination was deeply regretted, since it was felt that with his wide and profound knowledge of many subjects he would have been an invaluable adjunct to any institution of learning. Unfortunately, Dr. Selden wrote very little, most of his productions being short articles published in the medical magazines. His two best known are: "History of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1855 in Norfolk," and his paper "On Fractures of the Neck of the Femur." In the latter paper he reported some of the earliest cases of bony union as a result of the now recognized method of treatment. Although deeply deploring the necessity for secession he was loyal to his state, and accepted appointment as surgeon in the Confederate service in the hospitals at Liberty, Virginia. Dr. Selden was married to Lucinda, daughter of Dr. Daniel Wilson, of Louisville, Kentucky, by whom he had nine children. He died in Norfolk, Virginia, November 7, 1887.
McGill, John, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1809, son of James and Lavinia (Dougherty) McGill, who were natives of Ireland. His parents subsequently removed to Kentucky, where they located at Bardstown. John was placed at school in St. Joseph's College and was graduated at that institution in 1828. He subsequently studied law, but afterwards deciding to devote himself to the priesthood entered St. Thomas' Seminary at Bardstown for his theological studies, completing them at St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore. Mr. McGill was ordained on June 13, 1835, by Bishop David, at Bardstown, Kentucky. He was first made assistant pastor of St. Peter's Church, Lexington, and was afterwards appointed assistant to the Rev. Martin J. Spalding at Louisville. In 1838 he was sent to Europe to escort Bishop Flaget home, returning in 1839. In addition to his duties as assistant to Dr. Spalding he was also given editorial charge of the "Catholic Advocate." It was through the columns of this paper that he became widely known as a dogmatic writer. He also delivered a series of dogmatic lectures, which subsequently became identified with the religious history of Louisville. During his residence there he published two religious works, "The True Church" and the "Life of Calvin." In 1830, when the see of Richmond was divided, Father McGill was appointed bishop of Richmond. He was consecrated at Bardstown on November 10, 1830, by Most Rev. Peter Richard Kenrick, archbishop of St. Louis, assisted by Bishops Spalding and Miles. Bishop McGill at once assumed charge of the diocese, which was not only poor in numbers but in resources of every kind an in a greatly embarrassed condition, which made the prospects of his episcopate both arduous and discouraging. He entered upon them with a zeal and energy that could not but forecast success. Bishop McGill at once set about improving the condition of his diocese and began building churches and schools, and offered inducements to religious communities to establish themselves in his see. He erected and dedicated churches at Richmond, Norfolk, Fortress Monroe, Fredericksburg, Fairfax Station and Warrenton. There were in his diocese eleven thousand Roman Catholics; to this number he made large additions by converts who through his argumentative reasoning and eloquent sermons were brought into the church. Besides the convents and academies he established he started fourteen parochial schools. Bishop McGill's diocese suffered greatly during the civil war and his projects for its advancement were materially crippled. He was three times called to Rome by Pope Pius IX.; in 1854, on the occasion of the definition of the dogma of the immaculata conception; in 1867, at the centenary of the martyrdom of SS. Peter and Paul, and again on the assembly of the Vatican council. In 1866, in the council of the American bishop's, he took a prominent part. In fact, Bishop McGill's commanding presence and intellect made him a conspicuous figure wherever he went. During the civil war he established a hospital at Richmond for the wounded soldiers and devoted himself to their care. Bishop McGill was preëminently charitable, and no applicant was ever turned away. Like many other gifted men he was simple in his character, tastes and habits. "He was a man of learning in theology, canon and civil law, the classics and English literature. His tall figure, serious aspect, modest demeanor, close logic and gesticulation added to the forces of his sermons. He was not one whose services to religion were confined to his own diocese, or to any locality. He was called on to preach in various cities in America and Europe, and whether it was in Richmond, Charleston, Baltimore, Louisville, Paris or Rome, the impression he always made was profound and lasting." His health became impaired while attending the Vatican council and he subsequently lost the use of one of his eyes. His death, however, was caused by cancer of the stomach. He died in Richmond, Virginia, January 14, 1872.
McClelland, Mary Greenway, born in the village of Norwood, Nelson county, Virginia. ON the maternal side she was a descendant of Frederic Christian Graf, who was born in the principality of Waldeck, Germany, and was for many years consul of the free city of Hamburg. Her uncle, Frederic Boller Graf, was at one time Dutch consul, and for a number of years represented Norway and Sweden. Both were residents of Baltimore, Maryland, and there her mother was born and grew to womanhood. On the paternal side she is descended from William Cabell, of "Union Hill." Her grandfather, Thomas Stanhope McClelland, was one of the Adams county McClellands of Pennsylvania. He settled in Virginia in the early part of the present century, and married Miss Cabell, of Union Hill. Miss McClelland passed the most of her life on a plantation among the Virginia Hills, in a very beautiful home, the land on which it is situated being part of the original tract granted Dr. William Cabell, of Warminster, England, a surgeon in the British navy, who settled in the James river valley, in 1723. Her first work, "Oblivion," was published in 1885, and was quickly followed by "Princess." Since then she published five novels, four novelettes, and numerous short stories, and her writing became so popular that she had to decline offers from rival publishers. She died August 2, 1895.
Whitehead, William Riddick, born at Suffolk, Virginia, 15, 1831. The name was distinguished in England by William Whitehead, the poet laureate. His father, William Boykin Whitehead, born in Southampton county, Virginia, was a large sugar planter in Louisiana, and was married to Emeline F. Riddick, a descendant of Col. Willis Riddick, of revolutionary fame. William Riddick Whitehead was graduated at the Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia, in 1851; studied medicine for one year at the University of Virginia, and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania. After a year; further study in Paris he obtained, through Prince Gortchakoff, Russian ambassador at Vienna, an appointment to the Russian army, then fighting in the Crimea. He was ordered to Odessa, and later to Sebastopol, obtaining extensive experience in army surgery under Pirogoff, the great Russian surgeon. At the close of the war he was decorated by the Czar with the cross of the Imperial Order of St. Stanislaus. In 1860 he received the degree in medicine from the faculty of Paris, and upon his return to America was chosen professor of clinical medicine in the New York Medical College. Immediately after the fall of Sumter he returned to the South, and became surgeon in the Forty-fourth Virginia Infantry. He was successively regimental surgeon, senior surgeon of brigade, acting sturgeon of division, and, during the last year of the war, president of the board in South Carolina for the examination of conscripts and disabled soldiers. He tended Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson on the battlefield, when wounded at Chancellorsville. He was taken prisoner by the Federal army after the battle of Gettysburg, and was subsequently detained in Fort McHenry. He escaped, made his way through New York and Canada to Bermuda, whence he embarked on a blockade runner, and returned to Richmond. After the war he began practice in New York City, and remained there until 1872, when he removed to Denver, Colorado. In 1874 he was elected a member of the common council, and was chairman of the committee on health. He initiated the movement toward the establishment of the city's present system of sewerage. He was president of the Denver and also of the Colorado State Medical societies, was instrumental in founding the medical schools of the University of Denver and the University of Colorado, and was an active member of the American Medical Congress and the American Orthopædic Association. His contributions to medical and other journals on subjects connected with his profession have been numerous and varied. In 1863 he was married to Eliza F., a daughter of Col. Thomas G. Benton, who was a cousin of Thomas H. Benton, the famous senator from Missouri.