|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Marshall M. Gilliam. The antecedents of Marshall M. Gilliam are by tradition said to be of Norman origin. The name was anciently spelled Gillaume, from which its modern form has been derived. It is said that three brothers, John, William and Robert Gilliam, emigrated to Virginia about 1680 from England. John Gilliam settled at "Puddledock," Prince George county, then in Charles City county, and married Ann Bathurst by whom he had issue: 1. Robert, married Lucy Skelton, heiress of "Elk Island," Hanover county, Virginia. 2. William, married Jane, daughter of Rev. Patrick Henry, of St. George's parish, who was an uncle of the famous orator. 4. Jane, married Charles Duncan, a merchant of "Roslin," Chesterfield county. 5. Anne, the second wife of Nathaniel Harrison, of "Berkely," Charles City county, Virginia. However, it is probable that the three brothers first alluded to were the three brothers of this particular family, whom by popular myth and in the haze of time, were confused with the original emigrant ancestor.
From these three brothers, Robert, William and John Gilliam, have sprung many persons who bear the Gilliam name in Virginia, at the present time. Their descendants are to be found in Charles City, Prince George, Dinwiddie, Buckingham, Henrico and other counties in Virginia; and the family has produced many men of eminence in the state. John Gilliam, a descendant, lived at Osceola, Buckingham county, Virginia; he was famous as a "peace maker" in the community where he lived; and was a planter of large estate, who had inherited lands from his ancestors. It is said large tracts of land were given to his progenitor for services rendered to the English government in settling territorial disputes with the Indians. He married Judith Robertson, and had children: William, Wilson, John Robertson, Madison, Martha and Frances.
Marshall M. Gilliam, son of John Robertson and Martha H. (Marshall-Anderson) Gilliam, was born December 10, 1844, at Osceola, Buckingham county, Virginia. He attended elementary schools in his native county during the early period of his education; and then studied at Hampden-Sidney College, in Prince Edward county, Virginia, from which he graduated in 1859 as A. B. He spent a year or so in travel and study until the opening of the civil war, and in 1861 went to the Eighteenth Virginia Regiment on a visit to his brother, who was an officer in that regiment; returned to Buckingham county and enlisted in Company K, Fourth Virginia Cavalry, known as Jeb Stuart's cavalry, and served in that branch of the Confederate army throughout the war. The cavalry company above mentioned was organized in Buckingham county by Captain P. W. McKinney who was afterward governor of Virginia. The company was in General Stewart's cavalry raid around McClellan's army below Richmond, in the summer of 1862; it was also in the movement that flanked Meade's right wing at Gettysburg, July 2, 1862, and Private Gilliam participated in those two and other raids, skirmishes and battles of Stewart's cavalry until the end of the war. When Lee surrendered at Appomattox, he escaped through the Federal lines, and joined General Joseph E. Johnston's army in North Carolina, and after the surrender to General Sherman, he brought back to their owners eighty-five horses and mules which had been taken from Virginia. After the close of the war, Mr. Gilliam entered the University of Virginia in 1865, where he studied law in connection with certain studies in the academic department; and graduated as LL. B. in 1867. IN 1868 he went to Richmond Virginia, where he engaged in the practice of law which has been continued since that time. In 1869 at the solicitation of Colonel John H. Guy, one of the most distinguished lawyers in Virginia, a partnership was formed under the firm name of Guy and Gilliam, which lasted until Mr. Guy's death in 1886; and since its dissolution, Mr. Gilliam has continued to practice law alone, in Richmond, Virginia.
Marshall H. Gilliam married (first) December 1, 1870, in Richmond, Virginia, Mary Roche Hoge, daughter of Rev. Moses Drury and Susan Morton (Wood) Hoge. She was born February 7, 1847, in Richmond, died there in March, 1902. She was descended from the Hoge family of Richmond. Her father, Moses Drury Hoge, D. D., was pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Richmond for fifty-four years. Mr. Gilliam married (second) in Richmond, November 15, 1906, Emma S. Stewart, daughter of John W. and Mary Wilson (Sherrard) Stewart. She was born in 1851 in Jerrardstown, Virginia; and her father, John W. Stewart, was a large dealer in tobacco, at Alexandria, Virginia.
Issue of Mr. Gilliam by his first wife: 1. Hoge, born September 4, 1872, in Richmond, Virginia; educated at Sampson's school near the University of Virginia; married Edith L. Rossman, January 17, 1900. 2. Mary Marshall, born February 11, 1874, in Richmond, Virginia; was educated at Miss Mary Baldwin's school, Staunton, Virginia; married, November 21, 1901, at Richmond, Coleman Wortham; and has three children: Coleman Wortham Jr., Mary Hoge Wortham, Anne Scott Wortham. 3. Marshall Madison, born September 12, 1878, died July 2, 1879, at Richmond, Virginia.
Mr. Gilliam and his family are members of the Second Presbyterian Church of Richmond. He has been an elder of that church since 1875, also clerk of its session; was superintendent of the Sunday school thirty-three years, and is generally an active church worker. He was president of the Glinter Park Residents' Association for several years. While at the University of Virginia, 1865-67, he was a member of the Washington Society, also served as its president; and was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Greek letter fraternity there; is now a member of the Westmoreland Club at Richmond, Virginia.
Ernest A. Hoen. While American ingenuity and inventiveness have gained for the citizens of the United States a widespread reputation, these faculties have frequently been advantageously supplemented by the sterling worth of the traits inherent in the natives of other countries, who have come to these shores. This has notably been the case with the inhabitants of Germany, whose careful attention to detail and deliberate care in whatever they undertake cannot be overestimated. A case in point is the Hoen family, of Richmond, Virginia, and Baltimore, Maryland, an admirable representative of which, Ernest A. Hoen, of Richmond, Virginia, the first American born of the family has recently passed away. August, Berthold and Earnest Hoen, and their cousin, Henry Hoen, were the original emigrants who came to America in 1832 and located in Baltimore.
Ernest A. Hoen was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1851, died at Atlantic City, New Jersey, in April, 1914, having gone to that resort with the hope that the change of climate and surroundings would be of benefit to his impaired health. that hope was futile, for an attack of pneumonia suddenly ended his life. Mr. Hoen acquired excellent advantages in the schools in his native city, and these he supplemented throughout his life by wide and diversified reading. He was a musician of marked ability, and entertained an ardent love for music of a high standard. As a business men his reputation was unassailable. The firm of A. Hoen & Company, which was established by his father August is the oldest and one of the large lithographing plants of the country. After completing his studies at Loyola College, Earnest A. Hoen became associated with his father in the conduct of this important enterprise, which had been established in 1835. In 1876 a branch was established at Richmond, Virginia, and this was placed in charge of Earnest A. Hoen, who was the active and supervising head until his death. In some instances this business house has done some of the most important work of this kind ever performed in this country. The firm was founded by Edward Weber and August Hoen, under the firm name of Edward Weber & Company, and in the early forties Mr. Weber died, and August Hoen admitted his brother Ernest and his cousin Henry as partners, and the present name of the firm was adopted. In 1839 the firm printed the first show cards in colors produced in the United States, and in 1842 they lithographed the maps and illustrations for Fremont's Reports, believed to be the first lithographic work used in connection with the United States congressional reports, which have since proved such a fruitful source of supply to the lithographic art. Many of the improvements and advancements in the art have originated with A. Hoen & Company. The inventions of August Hoen are today the basis upon which the trade is enabled to do their work at commercial prices. He devoted his entire time to scientific research as applied to his trade. In 1880 the firm erected the Hoen building in Baltimore, especially for their business, and when this was destroyed by fire in 1901 removed the ir plant to another location. The building in Richmond is similar to the one in Baltimore. The firm employs some five hundred people. Earnest A. Hoen inherited in rich measure the business ability of his father, and his progressive nature enabled him to make the most of all the modern inventions which could apply to his art. As stated above, he was an ardent lover of music, and was a valued member of the Wednesday Club and the Philharmonic Orchestra, and also a member of the Westmoreland Club. His business affiliations were with the B. F. Johnson Publishing Company, of which he was vice-president, and the Southern Paper Company. At the time of his death his wife who was formerly Clara Byrne, of Baltimore, and his son, Hudson P., were with him, while his other son, Dr. Walter S. Hoen, is a surgeon in the United States navy. Mr. Hoen was also survived by a brother, Albert B., and sisters, Hermine L. Hoen and Agnes (Hoen) Gibier, widow of Dr. Paul Gibier, for many years head of the Pasteur Institute of New York City.
Herbert Worth Jackson. Antecedents of the Jackson family in Chatham, Randolph, Anson and Gulford counties, n, were there before the American revolution. Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States, practiced law about two years at Johnsonville, Randolph county, beginning December 11, 1788, John Jackson was a member of the house of commons from that county in 1782 and 1783, and Isaac Jackson in 1796 and 1797. They allied in marriage with old New England families, and they number among their ancestors such names as John Carver, governor of the Plymouth colony; John Howland and John Tilley, signers of the Mayflower Compact; Stephen Batchelder, and Thomas Macy, all emigrant ancestors, who settled in New England. Through the Spencers, Mr. Jackson is descended from one of the oldest and strongest New England families. The Spencers long resided in Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England, near the seat of the noble house of Spencer, and the name is supposed to have been derived from the fact that its members were stewards or dispensers from the time of William the Conqueror.
Michael Spencer and his wife, Elizabeth, residing in Stotfold, had four sons and two daughters, namely: Richard Thomas, John, Gerard, Catherine and a daughter whose name has not been preserved, though she had descendants. Her daughter Elizabeth married a Terry, a vintner. Gerard (or Jarrard), fourth son of Michael and Elizabeth Spencer, was baptized May 20, 1576, at Stotfold, and died before March 17, 1645. He and his wife, Alice, were parents of four sons and a daughter William, Gerard, Michael, Thomas and Elizabeth. All of the sons except Michael came to his country about 1621. Gerard (or Jarrard) Spencer (2). second son of Gerard (or Jerrard) (1) Spencer, accompanied his brothers to this country and was at Newtown, then a part of Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1632, later at Lynn, and was one of the original settlers of Haddam, Connecticut, where he was ensign and lieutenant of the militia, and died in 1685. He had wife Hannah and eleven children. The third son, Samuel Spencer, where he died August 7, 1705. He married (first) Hannah, widow of Peter Blatchford, and daughter of Isaac Willey, who was the mother of his four children. the second son, Isaac, born January 9, 1678, resided in East Haddam, where he married, October 2, 1707, Mary Selden, and had eleven children. The eldest of these, Samuel Spencer, born September 16, 1708, was presumably the father of Judge Samuel Spencer of Anson county, North Carolina. It is possible that the latter may have been the son of Samuel's cousin John, son of Samuel Spencer, who was born January 4, 1709. It is certain that he was son of one of these.
Judge Samuel Spencer was born in 1783 in East Haddam, and removed to North Carolina in the year 1760, settling in Anson county, where he was a conspicuous and useful citizen until his death in 1794. He was graduated from Princeton College, New Jersey, in the class of 1759, and in 1784 received from that institution the degree of LL. D. He was a member of the provincial Congress held at Hillsboro in August, 1775, and was appointed a colonel on the provincial council of safety in that year, which was the real executive of the state during the period of transition from a colony and the adoption of a state constitution in 1776, when Richard Caswell became governor. He was appointed colonel of the North Carolina militia in September, 1775; was a member of the state provincial Congress at Halifax in April, 1776, and of the provincial Congress in 1777. He was judge of the superior courts of North Carolina from November 15, 1777, until his death, one of the three first elected under the constitution. He married Sibyl Pegues, of Anson county, and both are buried on Smith's Creek, Anson county, North Carolina.
Isaac Jackson, a patriot of the revolution, married Mary Spencer, daughter of Judge Samuel Spencer, and resided in Wadesboro, Anson county, North Carolina. Their son, Samuel Spencer Jackson, was born March 10, 1787, Wadesboro, and died in Pittsboro, Chatham county, North Carolina, December 4, 1856. He married Elizabeth Kinchen Alston, daughter of Joseph John Alston, of Chatham county, North Carolina, and a descendant of John Alston, of Bedfordshire, England, who settled in North Carolina during the colonial period, and had issue several children and many descendants in North Carolina and the south.
Samuel Spencer (2) Jackson, son of Samuel Spencer (1) and Elizabeth Kinchen (Alston) Jackson, was born September 6, 1832, at Pittsboro. He was a lawyer and a clerk and master of equity prior to the civil war, in Randolph county, North Carolina, and died in Ashboro, March 5, 1875. He married, December, 1856, Elvira Evelyn Worth, daughter of Jonathan and Martitea (Daniel) Worth. Martitea (Daniel) Worth was a daughter of John Daniel, of Charlotte county, Virginia, and Lucy Murphy, and niece of Judge Archibald De Bow Murphy, of Orange county, North Carolina. Her father, Jonathan Worth, was the thirty-eighth governor of North Carolina. He was born November 18, 1802, in Guilford county, North Carolina, the son of Dr. David Worth, a prominent physician of Guilford county, and he received a fair education in the "Old Field Schools" of that time. At the age of eighteen he began teaching school and studied law, and began the practice of law at Ashboro, North Carolina, about 1826. He was elected to the North Carolina legislature in 1830, and re-elected to the same office. In 1840 he was sent to the state senate, again elected in 1858, and reelected in 1860-61, but declined to become a candidate on the secession ticket; however, after secession was accomplished he adhered to the de facto government, and in 1862-63 served in the state legislature. Later he was elected state treasurer, and re-elected in 1864, and held that office until the state government was overthrown in 1865 by the Federal forces. He was soon afterward elected governor of North Carolina, and held office until July 1, 1868, when the provisional state government was superseded by another under direction of Congress. On his removal by military duress he filed a protest that is famous in the history of North Carolina. He died September 5, 1869, at Raleigh, North Carolina.
Herbert Worth Jackson, son of Samuel Spencer (2) and Elvira Evelyn (Worth) Jackson, was born February 15, 1865, at Ashboro, Randolph county, North Carolina. He received elementary instruction in the local schools of his native town; later attended Bingham Military School at Megane, North Carolina, from 1879 to 1883, and from 1883 to 1886 studied at the University of North Carolina, at Chapel Hill, from which he graduated as Ph. D. in 1886. Soon afterward he received an appointment as teller in the treasury department of the state of North Carolina, where he continued about two years. He was treasurer of the Wetmore Shoe & Leather Company of Raleigh, North Carolina, then assistant cashier of the Commercial & Farmer's Bank, and cashier of the Commercial National Bank of Raleigh. In January, 1910, he was made president of the Virginia Trust Company of Richmond, Virginia, and moved his family to Richmond in February, 1910, where they now reside.
He married Annie Hyman Phillips, daughter of Judge Frederick and Martha (Hyman) Phillips, October 22, 1890, at Raleigh, North Carolina. She was born in 1866 at Tarboro, North Carolina; is the granddaughter of Dr. James Jones and Harriet (Burt) Philips, and the great-granddaughter of Hartwell Philips, who came from Mecklenburg county, Virginia, to Edgecombe county, North Carolina. issue of Herbert Worth and Annie H. (Phillips) Jackson: Evelyn Hyman, born July 12, 1892; Herbert Worth, September 28, 1897; Frederick Philips, November 3, 1899, died 1902; Samuel Spencer, January 23, 1902, at Raleigh.
Mr. Jackson was identified with various commercial and banking enterprises of North Carolina for twenty years. He was director and treasurer of the News & Observer Company for fifteen years, and trustee of the University of North Carolina Banker's Association; and is director and president of the Virginia Trust Company at Richmond, Virginia. He was president of the Raleigh Young Men's Christian Association, superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday school of Raleigh, for about fifteen years, and an elder in the Presbyterian church there. He is a member and worthy master of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, and likewise of the North Carolina Society, Sons of the Revolution, in virtue of his descent from Samuel Spencer, a revolutionary patriot, and judge of the courts of North Carolina under the Articles of Confederation; also by virtue of his descent from Colonel Archibald Murphy, of Caswell county, North Carolina. He is eligible to Sons of Colonial Wars by virtue of descent from Captain John Gorham, of Massachusetts; also Colonel John Gorham and Ensign Jarret Spencer, of Connecticut, 1650, and John Tilley, 1620.
Dr. Samuel Smith Cottrell. Retired from business life, in which he was known as a member of the Cottrell Saddlery Company. Charles Clinton Cottrell is succeeded in active life in the city of Richmond by his son Samuel Smith Cottrell, M. D., a recently established medical practitioner, a graduate of Boston University.
(I) Dr. Cottrell is a grandson of Charles Benjamin Cottrell, a native of Goochland county, Virginia, who died at the family home at Mount Aaron, Henrico county, Virginia, in 1861, at the age of about forty years, Charles Benjamin Cottrell married Catherine Thurston, a native of Botetourt county, Virginia, born in 1828, died in 1896. They were the parents of: Aminta, married John H. Frischborn, of Richmond; Charles Clinton, of whom further; Anna, married D. W. Jones, of Richmond; Willard Monmouth; and a daughter who died in infancy.
(II) Charles Clinton Cottrell, son Charles Benjamin and Catherine (Thurston) Cottrell, was born in Richmond, Virginia, October 12, 1856, and after an active and useful business career now lives retired in the city of his birth. The Cottrell Saddlery Company was established by his uncle, S. S. Cottrell, in 1845, and with this concern Charles Clinton Cottrell was identified in important positions. In leaving the business world of Richmond for quiet retirement, well merited after a lifetime of strenuous effort, he left with his former associates the remembrance of a man of strictest integrity and perfect fairness, one to whom the wiles of business were a closed book and honor paramount. He married May White, born in Richmond, daughter of William H. White. William H. White was a native of Maryland, and as a young man came to Richmond, where for many years he dealt in trunks and leather goods. He espoused the Confederate cause at the outbreak of the war between the states and was wounded in battle, from that time until the end of the conflict being associated with the treasury department of the Confederate government. His death occurred in 1884, when he was sixty-five years of age. His wife, Margaret Shardale (Greaner) White, was born in Richmond, and died in 1910, aged eighty-four years. Children of William H. and Margaret Shardale (Greaner) White: Mary, married C. A. West, of Richmond; John Henry, of Richmond; Margaret, married C. A. Scarff, of Baltimore, Maryland; May, of previous mention, married Charles Clinton Cottrell. Charles Clinton Cottrell and his wife were the parents of five children: Dr. Samuel Smith, and Rebecca, born December 26, 1901, the only survivors, the others being Charles Clinton (2), died aged four years, James Crane, died aged two years, and William White, died aged one year.
(III) Dr. Samuel Smith Cottrell, son of Charles Clinton Cottrell, was born in Richmond, Virginia, November 12, 1889. He obtained his classical education in the schools of that city. After a high school course he entered Richmond College and was graduated from that institution in the class of 1910, afterward becoming a medical student in Boston University. He was awarded his M. D. in 1914 and returned to the city of his birth to begin practice, in which he is now engaged. While at this time following the lines of general practice, in which he is now engaged. While at this time following the lines of general practice, Dr. Cottrell has as his aim and is preparing for a specialty in nervous diseases, a specialty of broad aspect and unbounded opportunity. Dr. Cottrell's profession was of his own choosing, and his enthusiasm and his love for his work have made little account of the difficulties and perplexities that are inseparable from new experiences and duties. These same qualities augur well for his future success, for his ideals and ambitions are high and his early work in his profession worthy.
Wilson Miles Cary. The fact of birth in the state of Mississippi makes Wilson Miles Cary, of Richmond, Virginia, not one degree less a Virginian than had his birthplace been in this state, for his entire life has been passed here, he having been brought to Virginia by his widowed mother, an infant in arms, and for nearly two and three-quarters centuries his family has here resided. His grandfather, Colonel Miles Cary, journeyed with his family to the southwest, and there remained, Lucius Falkland Cary, father of Wilson Miles Cary, the only one of his sons to return to the ancient home, Virginia.
The Carys, a family prominent in Virginia colonial history, are descended from the ancient Devonshire family of Cary, of which collateral branches have been conspicuous in England as Earls of Hunsdon, Monmouth, and Dover, and as Barons of Falkland. Branches are still seated at Tor Abbey and Follaton. The earliest mention of the name is in the case of Adam De Kari, who in 1198 is mentioned as Lord of Castle Cary, in Somerset county, whither he probably migrated from Devon, who married Amy, daughter of Sir William Trewit, Knight. The Devonshire Heralds Visitation of 1620 gives fourteen generations of his descendants. His grandson's grandson was Sir John Carye, Knight, chief baron of exchequer in the reign of King Henry IV., who was banished into Ireland for political offences. Prior to his time the spelling of the name De Kari seems to have prevailed. His son, Sir Robert Carye, was a favorite of King Henry V., and the following anecdote is cited in explanation of the return of the family to royal favor. "In his time came out of Aragon a lusty gentleman into England, and challenged to do feites of arms with any English gentleman, without exception. This Robert Cary, hearing thereof, made suit forthwith to the Prince that he might answer the challenge * * * * At the time and the day prefix'd both parties met, and did perform sundrie feits of arms, but in the end this Robert gave the foils and overthrow to the Aragon Kt., disarmed and spoiled him, which his doinge so well pleased the Prince that he received him into great favor, caused him to be restored to the most part of his father's lands and willed him also for a perpetual memorie of his victorie that he should thenceforth give the same arms as did the Aragon Kt., which both he and his successors to this day enjoyed, which is: Argent, on bend sable three roses argent, for before they did bear: Gules, Chevron, entre three swans argent."
The arms of the Carys Bristol and of Virginia were identical with those of Sir Robert Cary, of Devon, above referred to. There is a tradition in Virginia that Sir Henry Cary, Knight, a royalist leader, who went into exile after the defeat of Charles I., came to Virginia and left posterity, and some of the descendants of Miles have claimed descent from him.
Descended from Adam De Kari, perhaps in the tenth generation, was William Cary, born about 1500, mayor of Bristol, 1546, died 1572. His son, Richard, a merchant of Bristol, born 1525, died 1570, had a son William, born 1550, died 1632, who was, like his grandfather, mayor of Bristol in 1611. William Cary, by his marriage with Alice Goodall, had seven sons, the third of whom, John, born in 1583, died in 1662, a draper of Bristol, married Alice Hobson and was the father of Colonel Miles Cary, propositus of the Carys of Virginia. The seventh son of William and Alice (Goodall) Cary, James, born in 1600, died in 1681, came to Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1639, and was the ancestor of the Massachusetts family of Cary, Richard Cary, aide-de-camp to General Washington, and Mrs. Agassiz being members of this branch.
He whom the branch of the family to which Wilson Miles Cary, of Richmond, belongs, has an American ancestor, Colonel Miles Cary,, born in Bristol, England, in 1620, died in 1667. He came to Virginia in 1640-46, and settled in Warwick county, where he married Anne, daughter of Thomas Taylor Hobson, one of the early settlers. He acquired and resided upon the estate known as "Magpie Swamps," obtained by his father-in-law, Captain Hobson, which he devised to his eldest son, Thomas. He was a member of the King's council, burgess, escheater general, and owned nearly two thousand acres of land, well stocked, and numerous slaves, besides a store and mill. He mentioned in his will two houses in England, presumably in Bristol, one in Ballaum, the other in St. Nicholas street, to be sold for the benefit of his daughters. He had seven children, four sons and three daughters, the line descending through Colonel Miles (2) Cary. Colonel Miles (2) Cary was royal naval officer of York river, burgess, surveyor general, and rector and trustee of William and Mary College. He married Mary Wilson; his son, Colonel Wilson Miles Cary, married Sarah Blair; his son, Major Wilson Cary, married Jane B. Carr; his son, Colonel Miles Cary, of "Oak Hill," Fluvanna county, Virginia, married Elizabeth Searsbrooke Wilson Curle, his entire branch of the family moving to the southwest, with the exception of Lucius Falkland Cary, his son, who returned to Virginia.
Lucius Falkland Cary, son of Colonel Miles Cary, and member of the seventh American generation of his line, was born at "Oak Hill," Fluvanna county, Virginia, December 14, 1815, and in Virginia passed his active years, his death occurring in 1845, at the early age of thirty years. He became a merchant of Williamsburg, founded an important mercantile establishment, and was one of the most influential citizens and business men of the city, the business of which he was the owner being the largest of Williamsburg. Lucius F. Cary married Lucy Ann Henley, born in Williamsburg, died in Richmond, Virginia, aged eighty-three years, and had two children: Hattie, married William Christian, deceased, and resides in Richmond, and Wilson Miles, of whom further.
Wilson Miles Cary, son of Lucius Falkland and Lucy Ann (Henley) Cary, was born in De Soto county, Mississippi, October 7, 1843, although the family home was in Williamsburg. Not long after his birth his mother returned to Williamsburg, and his academic education was obtained in William and Mary College at that place. Here he was a student when the war between the states borke out, and enlisting in Company C, Thirty-second Regiment of Virginia Infantry, served until the Appomattox surrender, his war record one of honorable and valiant service. At the close of the war he returned to William and Mary College to complete his course, and before his graduation received an appointment as civil engineer in a party engaged in surveying and platting the city of Newport News, and the location of the Richmond & Newport News Railroad. When this task was finished Mr. Cary began mercantile dealings in the city of Richmond, and for thirty-eight years was a well-known and highly-rated merchant of that city. His business was flourishing and profitable, but so extensive as to make demands upon him that gradually weakened his health, a condition that caused his retirement when he was about to enter upon his fifth decade of continuous connection with the Richmond world of trade. Although he has greatly lessened his activities, Mr. Cary retains interests in numerous of the city's institutions, and among them is his presidency of the Buchanan Coal and Coke Company, Incorporated. He is a citizen of high standing in all circles, and is a communicant of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Cary is serving as deacon in the Second Presbyterian Church. Mr. Cary is a long-time member of the Westmoreland Club.
Wilson Miles Cary married (first) Anne E. Sublett, born in 1846, died in 1875, and had issue, Hundson, an attorney of Richmond, and Emily, married Thomas Marshall Jr., of Fauquier county, Virginia, now a resident of Richmond. He married (second) Lilias Blair, daughter of John B. McPhail, born at Mulberry Hill, Charlotte county, Virginia, and has children: Lucius Falkland and Lilias Blair, lives at home, unmarried. John B. McPhail was a native of Virginia, and as a soldier of the home guard participated in the action of the civil war, at Staunton River Bridge, in the region of his home. He married Nannie, daughter of Colonel Clement Carrington, of revolutionary fame, and granddaughter of the noted Judge Paul Carrington.
Seargent Smith Prentiss Patteson. A country born and bred lad, "circumstances and the help of a generous, affectionate brother," led Mr. Patteson to choose the profession of law and forsake country for city life. But back of the hour when the question of a future career must be settled, were the years of boyhood spent on his father's farm. This formative period was spent under the loving care of a wise mother, and with the best of companions, good books. With these his early years were spent, and that a life of success and honorable achievement should follow, is but the logical result.
Mr. Patteson was born in Amherst county, Virginia, December 15, 1856, youngest of the seven sons of Dr. David and Elizabeth (Camm) Patteson. Dr. Patteson, a man of imposing physique, great industry, public spirit, and decided literary as well as professional ability, died in 1862, having removed from Amherst to Buckingham county shortly after the birth of his youngest son. Elizabeth Camm, his wife, was a granddaughter of Rev. John Camm, an honored president of William and Mary College prior to the revolution, and a member of the governor's council, a conspicuous figure in his day, a man of great ability, exquisite humor and lofty patriotism. His wife, Betsey Hansford, was a descendant of Thomas Hansford, of Bedford rebellion fame.
Deprived of his father at the age of six years, Seargent S. P. Patteson grew up on the farm, and became familiar with all kinds of labor connected therewith. He attended the schools nearby his home in Buckingham county, but his education was largely obtained from the fine library left by his father, with his mother as fellow student, instructor and loving parent combined, and "aiding me as only a mother can aid a boy." From these carefully selected works, those of Scott, Dickens, Gibbons, and Macaulay's "History of England" and "Essays" particularly attracted the lad, and all historical works ever had a special interest for him. These sterling works of the library were read over and over again with his mother, and to her help during the formative period of his life, he said "I owe most of all." In this manner Mr. Patteson acquired an education, supplemented by only one session at a higher institution of learning than the country school. During the summer session of 1872-73 he attended Randolph-Macon College, and then began the study of law, aided by his brother Camm Patteson, and able lawyer, and "a generous and very affectionate brother." His legal, like his classical education, was under private instruction, and on June 1, 1877, he was duly licensed and admitted to the Virginia bar. At once establishing an office, he for a time practiced in Bedford and Buckingham counties. Later he located in Richmond, where he has gained honorable distinction as a lawyer of ability and a citizen of worth.
Mr. Patteson is a man of many talents, one of these being an outgrowth of his early training as well as an inborn one. The good doctor's library developed a literary taste, that in mature years found expression in writings, showing broad culture, originality and graceful style. These include a "History of the Supreme court of Appeals of Virginia"; "The Green Bag," and numerous articles for the legal publications on "Law Reform" and kindred topics. His work in literature gained him an election to William and Mary Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1902, this honor like college degrees, only being conferred for merit. He was also a member of the Virginian State Library Board and is a member of the executive committee, Virginia Historical Society. Nor have the demands of good citizenship been neglected. Always a Democrat, Mr. Patteson has borne his full share in party responsibility, and in council as well as in open compaign has proved his worth to his party. From 1892 to 1894 he was the able chairman of the Richmond City Democratic Committee, and during the session of 1899-1901 represented Richmond in that body. His legislative term was served with credit, and the record of his service shows him supporting all legislation that was progressive.
Mr. Patteson has also spent seven years in the service of his state with the Richmond Blues, Richmond Howitzers and Stuart Horse Guards, well known military organizations. He is very fond of all out of door exercise, particularly horseback riding and walking, while his days spent afield with gun and bird dog, are days of special pleasure to him. He is not connected with any religious society, but attends the Episcopal church, that being the church of his fathers for many generations. His clubs are the Westmoreland and Country of Richmond, and the City Club, of New York City.
Mr. Patteson is actively engaged in the practice of his profession, with offices in the Mutual Building, Richmond. His practice extends to all state and federal courts of the district and is large in its volume. He is as ever the student, but as willing to impart as to acquire information. He is the product of unusual circumstances, and his career is one to excite interest from the fact that it puts some supposedly well established theories of education decidedly on the defensive. Self taught, one might almost say, he has gained an honored position in law, literature and public life. His message to young Americans who wish to attain true success in life is to read good books, and among them to include Franklin's "Autobiography," a good life of George Washington, and the "Lincoln-Douglas Debates."
John Barry Purcell. The Purcell family of Richmond, Virginia, are of Irish descent, and have long been settled in the counties Cork and Limerick, Ireland. Several branches of the family belong to the landed gentry of Ireland, and have attained distinction as theologians, clergymen and in local political circles.
(1) Charles Purcell emigrated to America from Limerick, Ireland, and settled at Richmond, Virginia, about 1780, where he acquired considerable property, and died there leaving it to his nephew, Charles Purcell. the latter came to Richmond, Virginia, in 1815, to take charge of the estate and settled there. He had one sister, Ellen Purcell, who married James Barry, of Limerick, Ireland, and they were the parents of the late Lord Justice Charles William Barry, the chief justice of Ireland.
(II) John Purcell, son of Charles Purcell, was born in Richmond, Virginia, about 1815. He became a prominent business man of Richmond. He founded the firm of Purcell, Ladd & Company, wholesale druggists in Richmond, which business was continued to a late time by his son and grandson. In 1861 he equipped a battery of artillery in the Confederate States army, at his own expense, which was known as the Purcell battery, but he did not himself serve in the army. He was a member of the Roman Catholic church. He died in Richmond, Virginia. He married Martha Webb, daughter of Thomas Tarlton and Harriet (Davis) Webb, in 1842 at Norfolk, Virginia. She was born at Norfolk, and was descended from Webb, Fleming and Randolph ancestry. children of John and Martha (Webb) Purcell namely: 1. John Barry, of whom further. 2. Nora Randolph, who married Thomas Leary. 3. Sarah Elizabeth, who married Alfred Gray. 4. B. L. who married Lydia Pleasants.
George Webb, the first of the name in America, was a merchant of London, who married Lucy Foster, and had a son, George Webb. He was collector of taxes and probably treasurer of the state of Virginia; married Hannah Fleming, a descendant of Sir John Fleming, who married Miss Tarlton; came to Virginia about 1610. They had a son, George Webb, who married Judith Fleming, daughter of Tarlton and Mary (Randolph) Fleming, of Tuckahoe, the latter named a daughter of William and Maria Judith (Page) Randolph. Harriet (Davis) Webb, mother of Martha (Webb) Purcell, was a daughter of Augustine and Martha (Davenport) Davis, the former named sometime editor of the Williamsburg, Virginia, "Gazette." Thomas T. Webb was born in Richmond, Virginia. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Webb: Virginia, who married Admiral John R. Tucker; Martha, of whom above; Harriet, who married Thomas Riley; Delia, who married Oscar Cranz; William Augustine, who was a commander in the Confederate States navy, and formerly lieutenant-commander in the United States navy, and married Elizabeth Fleming; Louis Warrington, who married a Miss Jamison.
(III) John Barry Purcell, son of John and Martha (Webb) Purcell, was born September 17, 1849, at Richmond, Virginia. He attended private schools in Richmond, Virginia, until interrupted by the war; late in 1864 he enlisted in Company G, Third Virginia Regiment of Light Infantry, and attained the rank of orderly sergeant therein. After the war closed he went to the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, Virginia, from which he graduated July 4, 1868. Soon afterward he entered the employ of Purcell, Ladd & Company, wholesale druggists, at Richmond, Virginia, and in 1880 became a partner in the firm. Gradually the direction of the business devolved upon him, and in 1894 he became the sole owner and proprietor, the business continuing under his management and that of his son until 1910, when he retired from active participation therein. For many years Mr. Purcell has been identified with various business and financial interests in Richmond. In 1885 he was made director of the First National Bank, became its vice-president in 1895, and president in 1906, which position he still retains. He was president of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce in 1885; member of the Virginia Military Institute board of visitors in 1881; and was colonel in 1880 of the First Virginia Regiment of state militia. In politics he is Democrat, but never held or sought public office. He and his family are members of the Protestant Episcopal church, and he is a member of the Westmoreland and the Country clubs, of Richmond, Virginia.
Mr. Purcell married Olympia Williamson, daughter of General Thomas H. and Henrietta Louisa (Garnett) Williamson, November 12, 1872, at Lexington, Virginia. Her father was chief engineer of the Confederate Army of the Potomac at the first battle of Manassas, and after the war he was professor of engineering at the Virginia Military Institute. Thomas H. and Henrietta Louisa (Garnett) Williamson had several children, namely: William G., Anna Maria Mercer, Thomas, Ann Walke, Olympia, of whom above. Issue of John Barry and Olympia (Williamson) Purcell, namely: 1. Martha Webb. 2. Louisa Garnett, who married Dr. William Allen, and has issue: Elizabeth Randolph and Preston Allan. 3. Thomas Williamson, who graduated at the University of Virginia; is assistant secretary of the Old Dominion Trust Company; married Elizabeth M. Bosher, and has issue: Charlotte Mercer and Robert Bosher Purcell. 4. Anna Brooke. 5. John Barry Jr.