|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
Elbert Stewart Honaker, D. D. S., of Richmond, belongs to some of the oldest Virginia families, and partakes of the well known chivalrous and refined character of his ancestors. His paternal grandfather, Henry Honaker, was born in 1812, in Pulaski county, Virginia, where he was a farmer, and died in 1869. His wife, Rachel (Pack) Honaker, was born in 1819, in Raleigh county, West Virginia, and survived him about thirteen years, dying in 1882. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom five are now living, namely: Jennie, widow of William Woolwrind, of Clifton Forge, Virginia; William, of Draper, Virginia, married Sallie Owens: James, of Los Angeles, California; Elbert, of Draper, Virginia, married Otie Harris; Nettie, widow of George Frith, residing in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Samuel Pack Honaker, another son of Henry Honaker, was born February 12, 1847, at Draper, Pulaski county, Virginia, where he was a farmer throughout his life, and died September 19, 1913. He married Susan J. Harris, born October 7, 1851, at Newbern, Pulaski county, Virginia, and now resides at Draper. She is a daughter of Jacob Harris, a native of Pulaski county, Virginia, who was a miller, and his wife, Mariah (Stewart(Harris. They had nine children, one of whom, Jason, died in childhood. The survivors are: Henry, residing at Birmingham, Alabama; Ruby, wife of Charles S. Pratt, of Draper, Virginia; Nettie, Mrs. James Cargill, of Winfield, West Virginia; Birdie, wife of Fred W. Goshorn, of Charleston, West Virginia; Frank, Blanche and Bessie, of Draper; Elbert S., of further mention.
Dr. Elbert Stewart Honaker was reared on his father's farm, in the house built by Henry Honaker, a great-uncle, in 1804, now owned and occupied by Mrs. Susan J. Honaker. After an attendance at the public schools of Pulaski county, he entered William and Mary College, where he continued two years, after which he pursued the study of dentistry at the University College of Medicine in Richmond, from which he was graduated in 1906. Since that time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Manchester, with office at 1209 Hull street. Having given much study to the preparation for his life work, and possessed of a natural aptitude therefor, Dr. Honaker has achieved a deserved success, and is esteemed in the community, not only as a skillful practitioner, but also as a gentleman of culture and manly qualities. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, whose fraternal and benevolent principles represent his own sentiments and tendencies.
William Gordon McCabe. William Gordon McCabe, a representative citizen of Richmond, Virginia, was born in that city, August 4, 1841, son of Rev. Dr. John Collins McCabe, D. D., who was a native of Richmond, a friend of Edgar Allan Poe during his editorship of the "Southern Literary Messenger," to which Rev. Dr. McCabe was a frequent contributor, as well as a distinguished authority on the colonial and early church history of Virginia. Rev. Dr. McCabe's grandfather was James McCabe, an officer in the Revolutionary army, who served under General Arnold in the expedition against Quebec, and led his men with conspicuous gallantry in the storming column under General Montgomery that scaled the heights overlooking Cape Diamond when Quebec was assaulted in a driving snow-storm, December 31, 1775. When the gallant Montgomery fell dead at the head of his stormers, James McCabe was close behind him from the ground. He served throughout the entire period of the Revolution with marked credit as a capable and resolute officer.
Rev. Dr. McCabe, who was born November 12, 1810, first read medicine, but finally became a clergyman of the Protestant Episcopal church, and was for five years rector of the old church at Smithfield, Virginia, and, later on, had charge of "Old St. John's" at Hampton. It was during his incumbency of these parishes that he collected much of the material relating to family and church history which was afterwards used by Bishop Meade, to whom Rev. Dr. McCabe generously gave it, in the preparation of the former's "Old Churches and Families in Virginia." Rev. Dr. McCabe was rector of the Church of the Ascension in Baltimore, Maryland, from 1856 to 1859, and then of St. Anne's parish in Anne Arundel county, Maryland, until 1861, when, as an ardent Southerner, he gave up his charge, "ran the blockade" at great risk, and became chaplain of the Thirty-second Virginia Regiment, "Army of the Peninsula." From 1862 until the close of the war between the states, he was Chaplain General of the Richmond prisons, where he won the love of the Federal prisoners by his many kindnesses to them. Afterward he had various charges in Delaware and Pennsylvania, and died at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, 1875. He held the degree of Doctor of Divinity from the ancient college of William and Mary, was a frequent lecturer on literary and historical subjects, issued a volume of poems, and was the author of numerous memorial addresses and poems, which were published separately or in the magazines.
Rev. Dr. McCabe married, August 7, 1838, Sophia Gordon Taylor, whose great-grandfather, George Taylor, was one of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence, James Taylor, a son of George Taylor, the Signer, married Elizabeth Gordon, eldest daughter of that Lewis Gordon of "the Gordons of Earlston" in Scotland, who after the troubles of "the 45" (on account of which the chief of the house, the gallant William Gordon, of Kenmure, lost his head on Tower Hill) came to America and settled in Pennsylvania. Lewis Gordon married, in 1750, a daughter of Aaron Jenkins, a prominent citizen of Philadelphia, and, removing to Easton, Pennsylvania, became the legal and financial agent of the Penns, was the foremost lawyer at the Northampton county bar, and for many years was the prothonotary, or chief clerk of the courts at Easton. One of the grandsons of Lewis Gordon, of Easton, was William Lewis Gordon, a distinguished officer of the United States navy, who for gallantry in the war of 1812 was repeatedly mentioned in orders, and was voted by the commonwealth of Virginia a sword of honor. William Gordon McCabe was named for this great-uncle, his mother having become the former's adopted daughter after the death of her mother, who was the wife of Colonel James Taylor, her cousin, of Richmond, Virginia, and sister of Captain Gordon. Another of Mrs. Taylor's brothers was Captain Alexander George Gordon, also of the United States navy, and two of her nephews, Lewis Gordon Keith and William Macon Swann, were likewise officers in the naval service. It was, in fact, what was termed in ante-bellum days, "a navy family," for besides those named there were other kinsmen of theirs in that branch of the service.
The first ten years of William Gordon McCabe's life were spent at Smithfield, and the following six at Hampton. At the latter place he entered the classical academy of which the late Colonel John B. Cary was the head, and there gave token of the scholarship which he was later to achieve by carrying off in the last two years of his attendance upon the school the highest honors. In 1860 he entered the University of Virginia, after having taught for a short time as a private tutor in the Selden family of "Westover" on the James. But the students and scholars of the university were among the first to answer Virginia's call to arms in 1861, and on the very night of that fateful day on which the commonwealth dissolved her relations with the Union, April 17, 1861, young McCabe, not yet twenty years old, started with a student company, "The Southern Guard," on the march for Harper's Ferry, and remained thenceforward a soldier of the Confederate States until the sun set upon General Lee's surrender at Appomattox. In all the shifting and tragic scenes of that tremendous struggle he bore himself with the courage and fortitude that characterized the finest type of the Confederate soldier. He served as a private through the Peninsular Campaign in 1861; was commissioned in 1862 a first lieutenant of artillery in the "Provisional Army of the Confederate States," and as such was in the Seven Days battles around Virginia; later he became Adjutant of Atkinson's heavy artillery battalion, with which he served in the Chancellorsville campaign. In June, 1863, he was assigned to duty as Assistant Adjutant-General at Charleston, South Carolina, and was in Fort Sumter and Battery Wagner during much of the heaviest fighting. For his services at Charleston, Generals Beauregard and R. S. Ripley both recommended him for promotion, but in the autumn of 1863 he was ordered back to Virginia upon his own application, and was for a brief period on the staff of General Stevens, then chief engineer of the "Army of Northern Virginia." Then came his last assignment to duty as Adjutant of the light artillery battalion famous in history as "Pegram's," under the command of the gallant Colonel William Johnson Pegram. In this capacity he served with distinguished gallantry, participating in all the great battles from the Wilderness to Five Forks, fought by the "Army of Northern Virginia," including the retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox. In September, 1864, the men of one of the batteries of "Pegram's Battalion," after having been personally commanded by Captain McCabe in the desperate action os August 21st for possession of the Weldon Railroad, unanimously petitioned for his permanent assignment to them as captain of the battery, but this he positively declined, and urged the appointment of the first lieutenant of the battery, the captain having died in hospital, whom he considered rightfully entitled to the position. Early in 1865, he was made Captain of Artillery on Colonel Pegram's earnest personal recommendation and insistance, and after Appomattox, with a number of other young artillery officers, he joined General Johnston's army at Greensboro, North Carolina, but within a few days that army also surrendered and all active service was ended in the Confederacy. He was paroled in Richmond, in May, 1865.
In October, 1865, Captain McCabe founded the University School at Petersburg, Virginia, with which his name is linked in the history of education in Virginia, and from the beginning won for it the reputation of sending out from its walls young men of high ideals and sound scholarship. "Such a school as McCabe's would be an honor to any state," was written of it in the scholarly New York "Nation," November 26, 1885. In the "Atlantic Monthly," December, 1885, Charles Foster Smith said of it: "I know of nothing better the South can do in her schools than to take this school as a model." Dr. McCosh, of Princeton, June, 1882, included Captain McCabe with two other American teachers as "probably the best high-school instructors on this side of the water." The Rev. Moses D. Hoge said in a sermon preached in Petersburg, April, 1895, that McCabe's University School "reminded him of Rugby in her palmiest days." During a long and honorable career, extending from 1865 to 1901, when the head-master retired and the school was closed, it maintained not only its high standard of scholarship, but an even higher standard of honor and lofty character among its pupils that was one of its noblest distinctions. The aim of Captain McCabe was to make his boys in a genuine sense both gentlemen and scholars, and how well he succeeded has been worthily attested in the careers of most of those who went out from its doors, imbued with the spirit of Thackeray's verse:
Colonel George A. Martin. The progenitor of the Martin family in America was Major-General T. Joseph Martin, who came from England about the year 1770 and settled in the valley of Virginia, near Winchester. He afterwards, about 1775, removed to Kentucky and was a contemporary of Daniel Boone, was equally courageous and enterprising, besides being highly educated and a polished gentleman. He was a son of Philip Fairfax Martin, who traced his descent from the Duke of Kent, whose forefathers came from Normandy with William the Conqueror in the year 1066, and fought with him in the battle of Hastings the same year. Philip Fairfax Martin married a sister of Lord Fairfax, who settled at Greenway Court, Virginia, previous to the revolution. Denny Martin, who succeeded to the estate of his uncle, Lord Fairfax, was also the uncle of T. Joseph Martin.
(I) When freedom rewarded the struggle of the colonies, Major-General T. Joseph Martin was delegated by the government to treat with Indian tribes on the frontier and to do all in his power to promote concord and amity between the natives and the whites. Through his successful handling of this diplomatic mission, so important and necessary at the time, he added honor to the fame he had won on the field of battle as a soldier, patriot and officer. Major General T. Joseph Martin died in Kentucky, soon after the close of the revolutionary war, to the success of which he had so gallantly contributed.
(II) Colonel George Martin, son of Major General T. Joseph Martin, was born in England, came with his father to Virginia, later settling with him in Kentucky. He fought under his command in the revolution, serving as adjutant-general with the rank of colonel. After the war was ended he came to Norfolk county, Virginia, in 1787, and settled near Great Bridge. by profession he was a civil engineer, afterward becoming an extensive planter. He married Anne Old, of Princess Ann county, Virginia, a few years after his arrival in Virginia, and died in 1799. Children: James Green, of whom further, and George Thomas, who died about the year 1837, Colonel Martin left descendants of distinction.
(III) Colonel James Green Martin, son of Colonel George Martin, was born March 11, 1797, died November 23, 1874. He won his military title in service against the foe with whom his father had fought, and in the second war with Great Britain achieved as high honor, though lower in rank, as did Major General Martin in that conflict that gave birth to a nation. For many years Colonel James G. Martin was presiding judge of Norfolk county, Virginia, known to all as a jurist of strength and conviction who ruled over his court with firmness and fairness. He married, in 1817, Maacah Foreman, born March 2, 1797, died October 1, 1874, daughter of Alexander Foreman, a revolutionary soldier, and sister of General Nehemiah Foreman, an officer of the American army in the war of 1812. Children of Colonel and Mrs. James Green Martin: 1. Frances, born in 1820; married George T. Old, who was justice of the peace in Norfolk county, Virginia. 2. Marina, born in 1823; married Nehemiah Bartee Foreman, a man of great wealth and influence, and a classical scholar, son of General Foreman. 3. James Green, a sketch of whom follows this. 4. Mary, born in 1832; married William H. Barnes, deputy clerk of Norfolk county for many years, and soldier in the civil war under Colonel Martin's command. 5. George Alexander, of whom further.
(IV) Colonel George Alexander Martin, son of Colonel James Green and Maacah (Foreman) Martin, was born in Norfolk county, Virginia, September 3, 1833. His preparatory studies completed, during the terms of 1856-57 he pursued legal studies in the University of Virginia, and immediately after gaining admission to the bar began active work in his profession, continuing so engaged until the outbreak of the civil war. Enlisting in the Confederate States army at the first call, he organized the first new company of his county, which was called St. Bride's light artillery, of which he was elected to the command in June, 1861. He was subsequently transferred to the Thirty-eighth Virginia Regiment, Armistead's brigade, Pickett's division, and not long after the battle of Drury's Bluff was commissioned lieutenant-colonel. Under General Colson he was engaged in the defense of Lynchburg. After the surrender of General Lee, and by order of General Colson, he dismissed his command, but with his staff went to Charlotte, North Carolina, following the fortunes of the Confederacy and its executive, President Davis. There were hundreds of detached officers from general down that had gathered around President Davis, and just before the surrender of General Johnson they sought in conference what disposition they should make of themselves. Various schemes were discussed, some wishing to fight as guerillas, some wishing to surrender with General Johnson, etc. Colonel Martin arose and said that he was originally opposed to the secession of the states on the ground of expediency, but since it had some he would remain to the end. That it was said by Warwick that place the emblem of royalty in a bush and he would fight for it, and that if you should place the emblem of the Confederacy in any section he would fight for it to the death, and he saw no other emblem of the Confederacy than President Davis and that he would follow his fortunes to the end. He withdrew from the conference, followed by about forty young officers, who sought the president and offered their services to him as a body guard, which was accepted. Colonel Martin was requested to act as commander of the officers and they were to be armed with Henry rifles. The first given out was by Burton Harrison, "Aide" of President Davis, to Colonel Martin, and that rifle, with an inscription on it, is now in the museum at Richmond. General Johnson unexpectedly surrendered and the company was never fully organized, but Colonel Martin, with his friends, General Lawton and General Gilmer, followed President Davis to Washington, Georgia, where the Confederate government was disbanded. Colonel Martin proceeded alone, westward, trying to reach Mexico, but the attempt to reach the latter place was frustrated at Augusta, Georgia, by the vigilance of General Molineaux in command of the city. Colonel Martin surrendered the day before President Davis was captured and was given transportation to Old Point Comfort by order of General Molineaux, where he arrived about two weeks afterwards. His war record is one of distinction, telling of devoted service and unswerving devotion to duty, and is one which, placed by the side of that of his father or of his grandfather, suffers not at all from the comparison, despite the glory attached to those heroes of other wars.
The return of peace found Colonel Martin once more engaged in professional practice, New York City the place he chose for his work. He gradually built up a practice both large and influential, and attained excellent reputation at the bar, one case that he won attracting the eulogy of the press of the country. He formed numerous connections in New York, along social, professional and business lines, and while a resident of the Metropolis was elected to membership in the Seventh Regiment New York National Guard. Weakened health made advisable residence in a less rigorous climate, and relinquishing his New York practice, he returned to the more favorable conditions of his native state. Continuing in legal practice, he was soon placed in public office, his able service in the positions to which he was elected winning him prominence and praise. After serving as state senator of the district of Norfolk city and Princess Anne, 1881-82, he was elected state railroad commissioner to fill a term commencing in 1883, and in 1885 was elected to represent Norfolk county in the house of delegates of Virginia, term of two years, and was re-elected in 1887 for two years more. While in the house of delegates of Virginia the free schools of Norfolk county lacking funds to complete their yearly course, Colonel Martin introduced a bill which was passed enabling the supervisors of his county to lay a tax on barrooms to an amount not exceeding the state tax paid. This is the only county in the state that has had such a bill and it has procured for Norfolk county an annual income of several thousand dollars, thereby placing Norfolk county in the first rank as to position of schools in the state. He presented many other bills which were of lasting benefit to the state as well as to his section. He was one of the leaders and a great factor in having the bill passed for an insane asylum at Petersburg for the colored people, who had hitherto been confined in jails for want of proper accommodations.
These and other positions of weight and importance were filled by Colonel Martin during his active career, and upon his retirement from active pursuits in 1913 he left the law a well remembered and highly regarded attorney, and public life a servant from whose labors county and state had derived great benefit. During his years of activity, Colonel Martin's grasp upon the affairs of the day was so comprehensive and thorough as to make even his casual remarks authoritative, and this interest in affairs he has not lost with accumulating years. Aggressive persistence, based upon thorough and complete knowledge, was the quality from which sprang the value of his services, the many graces and talents embellishing the sterner traits of his character commanding the admiration of his friends and associates.
Colonel Martin has been honored with the degree of Doctor of Laws, and in literary fields is well known, both through is patronage and his contributions to the world of letters. From a boy he has been a hard student, and as a historian in all of its departments, narrative, reflective and philosophical, has analyzed and digested the same from the time of Heroditus, the first historian, to Hagel and later, and from that philosopher to the strictures of President Wilson on history, and the whole course of other studies including those mentioned in Bacon's "Novum Organum" has been scanned and studied. Colonel Martin has written a history of the settlement, rise and progress of America upon a unique and novel plan, with copious reflections on the nature of history and the manner to render it truthful, the strange title of which is "Impersonality of History."
Colonel Martin married, September 3, 1857, Georgia A. Wickens, born December 23, 1837, daughter of J. Edward and Alice (White) Wickens, both families pioneers of Princess Anne county, the members being among the most highly respected and distinguished citizens, honorable in all their actions, following various lines of occupation, some being engaged in the ministry, others as planters. Children of Colonel and Mrs. Martin: 1. George Alexander Jr., born Mn 26, 1862; married Annie Louise, daughter of Captain James E. Peery, of Tazewell county, Virginia; he is one of the most profound scholars of the state, educated as a lawyer at the University of Virginia; he discontinued practice to superintend his "Blue Grass" farm in Tazewell county; he is now chief engineer of a system of roads having their origin in his county; he has children: Annie Louise, born October 3, 1893; Cecil Peery, born December 27, 1895; Thomas Fairfax, born March 10, 1897; George Alexander, third, born August 26, 1901; Maria Theresa, born February 1, 1911. 2. May, born January 29, 1868, died January 7, 1892; married, November 28, 1888, Samuel C. Peery; one son, Samuel C. Jr., born June 18, 1891. 3. Theresa Fairfax, born October 10, 1880. 4. Marina A., bor March 14, 1884.
Alvah H. Martin. Colonel James Green Martin, son of Colonel James Green (q. v.) and Maacah (Foreman) Martin, was born at Mount Pleasant, Norfolk county, Virginia, April 16, 1829, died in August, 1880. He was very popular with the people; was made colonel in the militia and practiced law in the city of Norfolk, where he was at one time a partner of Judge E. P. Pitts, who was formerly circuit judge of the first district. He was a member of the Virginia legislature in 1859-60 and was also at one time one of the presiding justices of the Norfolk county court. He served in the Confederate army. He married Bettie L., daughter of Thomas B. and Love (Old) Gresham and had issue: Alvah H., of whom further; Maude; George Gresham, of whom further.
Alva H. Martin, son of Colonel James Green and Bettie L. (Gresham) Martin, was born in Norfolk county, Virginia, September 20, 1858, and obtained his early education under the direction of private tutors and in the public schools. After completing a course in the Webster Institute, he studied law under the preceptorship of his father, and in 1880 undertook the duties of county clerk, appointed to fill out an unexpired term. In May, 1881, the six months for which he was appointed having elapsed, he was elected to the same office for the full term, and, through repeated reëlection, has since that time held the position of county clerk. His record is one of thirty-three years of continued service, during which time his name has become almost inseparably connected with the office, and which period has witnessed his efficient, accurate, and faithful discharge of his duties. Norfolk county numbers few on her list of servants whose length of service compares with his and none who surpassed him in all that is desirable in a public officer.
Mr. Martin's connection with the county administration is but a small part of his activity, for in business and financial circles he is well known, holding the presidency of the Merhcants' and Planters' Bank, the Chesapeake Building Association, the Cape Henry Syndicate, the Glencoe Land Company, and the Martin Corporation, and is a director of the National Bank of Commerce and interested in many other corporations. He is a member of the Board of Trade and Chamber of Commerce, and at the close of the Jamestown Exposition, 1907, he was director-general of its organization, having labored zealously and constantly in its prearrangement and management. It was a notable fact that during his incumbency of the position of director-general, the exposition was a financial success. His other business connections are numerous, and he is a large property owner in Norfolk county, Princess Anne county, and other sections, and is the owner of valuable coal lands in West Virginia. He has recently erected in the city of Norfolk one of its finest business places located on Granby street, known as the "Martin Building." He is a member of the Country Club and is president of the Ragged Island Gunning Club. Mr. Martin is an ardent sportsman, and as president of the Ragged Island Gunning Club is chief executive of one of the most popular and best located organizations in the state, also being one of its most enthusiastic members and an excellent shot. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic Order, and he is a member of Elizabeth Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and Norfolk Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. In politics a Republican, he is a member of the national executive committee and it was through his influence with President Taft that the port of Norfolk was made the port of entry for the state of Virginia, after an adverse report of the treasury department had been made. He also had the order discontinuing the firing of the nine o'clock gun at the Norfolk navy-yard revoked, after all other efforts in that behalf had failed. The councils of Norfolk and Portsmouth passed resolutions in recognition of this and which met the approbation of the entire community. Mr. Martin was also the pioneer of the good roads movement in Norfolk county, and was the chairman of the first commission for permanent road improvement in this county. He is a communicant of the Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church.
A gentleman of wide and varied interests, Mr. Martin's easy versatility makes him equally in his proper element in a gathering of sportsmen, financiers, politicians, or business men, and whatever the occasion he is fitted and prepared to speak with authority or to act with capability. It is the catholicity of his tastes that has gained him such a wide acquaintance and such a vast number of friends, who recognize the worth and merit of the man however they may be associated with him.
Mr. Martin married, January 6, 1881, Mary E. Tilley, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. Children: 1. Fay, married, October 28, 1909. S. L. Slover, 2. Mabel. 3. James Green, graduate of V. M. I. school and University of Virginia law department, class of 1911; admitted to the bar the same year, passing examination with highest honors, and at once commenced practice in Norfolk. 4. Alvah H. Jr., graduate of Randolph-Macon College and the law course of the University of Virginia, class of 1912, admitted to the bar the same year, passing the examinations with highest honors, as did his brother; now practicing with the firm of Martin & Martin. 5. Howard G. 6. Dorothy.
George Gresham Martin. George Gresham Martin, son of Colonel James Green (q. v.) Martin, was born in Norfolk county, Virginia, August 8, 1869. In the public schools and Norfolk Academy he obtained his preaparatory scholastic training, then entered Randolph-Macon College and the University of Virginia. After leaving the University of Virginia he began the study of law, continuing this after his appointment to the office of deputy county clerk of courts. Gaining admission to the bar, he at once established in general practice, which he continues to this time, specializing, to a certain extent, in corporation and title law. He is a lawyer of standing and reputation, was city attorney for the city of Berkeley for several years, and is attorney for the Merchants' and Planters' Bank and the Chesapeake Building Association, likewise holding place upon the directorates of both these institutions, and is also attorney for the Berkeley Permanent Building and Loan Association. Mr. Martin is president of the Superior Land Company, and now fills the office of harbor commissioner. His political party is the Democratic and he is a member of the Norfolk county committee of that party, also serving on the board of education. He is a member of lodge, chapter, commandery and shrine of the Masonic order, and belongs to the St. Thomas Protestant Episcopal Church. His club is the Country.
In legal, political, financial and business circles Mr. Martin has risen to positions of prominence, for which natural endowments and acquired ability have qualified him. He typifies alert, progressive citizenship, and has shown himself to be steadfastly and actively enlisted in the cause of advancement and improvement in civil affairs.
George Gresham Martin married, September 28, 1893, Lillian H. Wilson, born October 17, 1872, daughter of Rev. Dr. Richard Taylor and Sarah Hataka (Hobbs) Wilson, her father a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, formerly an attorney Rev. Dr. Richard Taylor Wilson was a son of Charles and Mary Elizabeth Wilson, his wife a daughter of Meredith Clayton and Clara Jane (Starke) Hobbs. Children of George Gresham and Lilian H. (Wilson) Martin: Lilian Elizabeth, born May 27, 1895; Mary Maud, born September 12, 1896, died April 16, 1904; George Gresham Jr., born July 14, 1903; Richard W., born September 20, 1906.
Samuel Walker Lyons. Maud Martin, daughter of Colonel James Green (q. v.) and Bettie L. (Gresham) Martin, was born July10, 1860. She enjoyed excellent educational advantages. She married, May 19, 1880, Samuel Walker Lyons, born December 18, 1855, son of William H. and Sophia (Walker) Lyons. William H. Lyons was born in Pennsylvania, 1830, died in Berkeley, Virginia, 1910; he was superintendent of machinery in the United States Navy Yard at Portsmouth, Virginia, for twenty-seven years, and was president of the Portsmouth city council for some years and treasurer of the city one term of four years. He was the father of two sons and three daughters, Samuel W., of whom further; Eleanor M., married Charles H. Williams; Sophia Belle, deceased; William H., deceased; Willie Frances, deceased.
Samuel Walker Lyons was educated in Slater's private school and after the completion of his general studies took up draughting. Becoming proficient in this calling, he was employed as a draughtsman, entering the government service in the navy yard, Norfolk, Virginia, later accepting a position as guager in United States Revenue Service and remained there until he was elected to the office of treasurer of Norfolk county, and has returned full and exact account of his stewardship of the public funds. Among his fellows in the public service he is known as an official to whom duty is paramount and who considers the full discharge of his duty an obligation almost sacred. He is a member of lodge, chapter, commandery and shrine in the Masonic order, and is also identified with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His political stand is taken with the Republican party. Children of Samuel Walker and Maud (Martin) Lyons: William Henry, Bessie, Samuel Walker Jr., and Maud. Samuel Walker Jr. married, August 3, 1912, Florence Cornelia Ives, and has one daughter, Florence, born August 21, 1913.