|Preceding pages||Volume Map||Following pages|
John Weymouth. Norfolk, Elizabeth City and Warwick counties, Virginia, have known the family of Weymouth through many generations, the members thereof at an earlier period devoting themselves to the pursuit of agriculture. The line of John Weymouth, of Hampton, well known for his activity in legal circles, has been for the most part resident in Elizabeth City county, where early records make frequent mention of the family. Prior to 1700 Robert Weymouth is mentioned in relation to deeds recorded in the office of the county clerk; John Weymouth's will was probated in 1743, its maker a soldier of the revolutionary war and the father of John, William, Robert, and James; William Weymouth's will was probated in 1766; and John Weymouth's estate was reported on by the county appraisers in 1789. William Weymouth, great-grandfather of John Weymouth, of Hampton, also resided in Elizabeth City county, and was the father of John Weymouth, born in 1824, who died from wounds received in the war between the states.
(I) John Weymouth, grandfather of John Weymouth, was engaged in farming in Elizabeth City county during his early manhood, afterward taking up his residence in Portsmouth, where he was employed as ship joiner in the navy yard. The first engagements of the civil war found him a soldier in the Confederate States army, a member of Grimes' battery, in which he served until wounded at the battle of Malvern Hill, July 2, 1862. Blood poisoning added to the gravity of his injuries, and his death occurred just one week later, July 9, 1862, his life on of the many sacrifices offered by Virginia during that four years of strife. John Weymouth married Mary Gray Drury, of Warwick county, Virginia.
(II) William James Weymouth, son of John and Mary Gray (Drury) Weymouth, was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, March 28, 1852, died in Hampton, March 6, 1914. His education begun in the public schools, was completed in the private school maintained by L. P. Slater, and he began his business life as a clerk. This employment he discontinued to learn the carpenter's trade, and he afterward made his home in Hampton. William James Weymouth was a prominent and highly regarded citizen of Hampton, and was a member of the first council elected in 1889 under the new town laws. For twenty-eight years he served as chief of the fire department, and in numberless ways was closely identified with the development and progress of Hampton. He was a charter member of Wyoming Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men, also belonging to the Knights of Pythias, was a Democrat in political belief, and affiliated with the Presbyterian church. He married, December 24, 1873, Mary Eleanor Ashe, born January 5, 1853, and had issue: 1. John, of whom further. 2. Selden Ashe, born October 29, 1876, died December 9, 1878. 3. Mary Prior, born September 16, 1879; married, January 21, 1908. J. C. Phillips, and has one daughter, Mary Ann, born July 21, 1913. 4. Frances Taylor, born January 27, 1882; married, November 7, 1910, William H. Bremer, and has Frances Weymouth, born August 3, 1911, and William H., Jr., born March 16, 1913. 5. William Ashe, born August 24, 1885, died February 14, 1915; he was educated in the public schools of Hampton and at William and Mary College, whence he was graduated in 1905, becoming an expert court stenographer; he was a justice of the peace in Hampton, secretary of the fire department, and a member of Live Oak Camp, No. 21, Modern Woodmen of the World. 6. Charles, born September 13, 1887, died March 9, 1911. 7. Lelia Hughes, born December 4, 1889.
(III) John (2) Weymouth, son of William James and Mary Eleanor (Ashe) Weymouth, was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, November 14, 1874. After public school training he matriculated at William and Mary College, completing an academic course and graduating Bachelor of Arts in the class of 1894. For two years after his graduating from William and Mary College he taught school, one in Loudoun and one in Greensville county, and in 1896 entered the law office of Colonel Thomas Tabb, one of the foremost lawyers of the state, who has since passed to his rest. On January 12, 1900, he was admitted to the bar, and has since been in active and general practice, specializing to a certain extent in cases involving chancery law. He is a member of the leading legal organizations, including the Elizabeth County, Virginia State and American Bar associations, and holds worthy position in his profession. He has served Hampton as city attorney, and was a member of council from 1908 to 1912, an office to which he was elected on the Democratic ticket. From college days he has held membership in the Kappa Alpha and the Phi Beta Kappa fraternities, and he is also past exalted ruler of Lodge No. 366, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, past chancellor of Lodge No. 29, Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the Masonic order and the Woodmen of the World. His religious denomination is the Protestant Episcopal, and he is a vestryman of St. John's Church of that faith. Mr. Weymouth adheres to the high type of citizenship that characterized the life of his honored father, and, like William James Weymouth, stands for the best interest of Hampton, serving them at every turn.
He married, in 1903, Nancy Fadeley, born October 27, 1872, and has one daughter, Virginia Orrison, born August 13, 1904.
Albert Gallatin Franklin, M. D. The second to bear the honored name Abert Gallatin Franklin in Richmond, which has been the Franklin family home since 1865, Dr. Franklin has behind him the prestige of a well known and distinguished Virginia family. Born in Richmond and educated in her classical and professional schools, he has during his nearly two decades of medical practice, gained distinction in his own right and ranks with the leading men of a profession especially rich in eminent sons.
Albert Gallatin Franklin, Sr., was born in Roanoke county, Virginia, November 3, 1835, died in Richmond, January 16, 1911. He located in Richmond in 1865, engaged in the coal and wood business and rose to prominence in the city of his adoption. He married Julia Karr, who bore him thirteen children, eleven of whom are living. She died in April, her native city.
Albert Gallatin Franklin, son of Albert and Gallatin and Julia (Karr) Franklin, was born in Richmond, Virginia, March 21, 1873. He was educated in city schools, classical and professional, the University College of Medicine conferring the degree of Doctor of Medicine class of 1896. He began practice the same year, opening offices in the family residence at 210 East Clay street and continuing offices there until removing in August, 1912, to his present location 703 West Grace street. His extensive practice is general in character and is conducted along the best lines of modern medical thought. Dr. Franklin is a member of the American Chesterfield Association, also the state and county societies. He is a member of All Saints' Protestant Episcopal Church, and in political faith is a Democrat.
Dr. Franklin married, in Richmond, January 24, 1900, Mattie J. Neale, born in King William county, Virginia, October 23, 1876, daughter of Thomas J. and Rosalie E. (Jennings) Neale, the former a ship builder of Newport News, Virginia, the latter deceased. Children: Edward Campbell, born in Richmond, January 20, 1902; Albert Gallatin (3), July 26, 1903.
Paul Beverly Woodfin, A. B., LL. B. Paul Beverly Woodfin, A. B., LL. B., a prominent citizen of Waynesboro, Virginia, was born January 8, 1883, at Montgomery, Alabama, a son of the Rev. Augustus Beverly Woodfin, A. B., D. D., and of Mary Belle (Abrahams) Woodfin, his wife. the Rev. Dr. Woodfin was a native of Richmond, Virginia, where he was born March 21, 1838, and was educated at Richmond College and there gained his degree of Bachelor of Arts. He later took a course in the South Baptist Theological Seminary, from which he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Divinity. Howard College later conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity in recognition of his distinguished services to the community and religion. He became at various times pastor of churches in Mobile, Alabama; Montgomery, Alabama; Columbia, South Carolina; and of the First Baptist Church of Hampton, Virginia, in which latter place he remained twenty years. He was appointed to, and held the position of chaplain of he University of Virginia. He retired from active life in 1911 and resided at Atlanta, Georgia, until his death, on December 24, 1913, at the home of his son, G. W. Woodfin. It was Dr. Woodfin who was largely instrumental in effecting the consolidation of the college for women in Richmond with Richmond College, and, indeed, the actual merger was consummated in his room in the Richmond Hospital, where he was confined by illness. He was by nature an active and energetic man, and even in his retirement held the position of vice-president of the board of trustees of the Baptist Orphanage at Salem, Virginia, and was a member of the board of education of Richmond College.
Paul B. Woodfin was educated in the academic department of Richmond College, graduated therefrom with the class of 1904, and received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Immediately thereafter he took a position as school teacher, which he held for two years, but having chosen the profession of law he abandoned his position at the end of this period and entered the law department of Richmond College, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1908. While in college Mr. Woodfin took an active part in the life of the institution and distinguished himself in an "all round" manner. He played for two years on the baseball team and for three years on the football team, he was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, the Mu Sigma Rho Literary Society and during the season of 1907-08, was president of the senior law class. In 1908, the year of his graduation from the law school, he was admitted to the Virginia bar, and thereupon located himself at Waynesboro, where he has since resided. He is now serving his fellow citizens in the capacity of city treasurer. Besides his public and legal associations, Mr. Woodfin is connected with the business interests of his adopted town. He is a member of the Blue Lodge Masons and a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Woodfin is unmarried.
William B. Walton. The name of Walton is found very early in Virginia. The records of Hanover county are lost, but a private paper preserved shows that George was there, June 22, 1635. John Walton received grants of land in Westmoreland county in 1654 and 1666, and was living there with his wife Elizabeth in the latter year. John Walton received a grant of two hundred acres of land in Accomac county in 1638. Robert Walton, of Rappahannock county, sold 560 acres in 1666, and held a power of attorney for Nicholson Andrews, of London, in 1663. Edward Walton was in York county in 1671. The records of Goochland county, show purchases of land there in 1731 and 1738 by William Walton. Thomas Walton purchased land in St. James parish, on the Fluvanna river, in Goochland, September 15, 1741. There are multitudes of other records showing land grants in various sections of the colony in early days. William Walton was in Richmond county with his wife, Mary (Leftwich) Walton, and had children, Daniel and Mary. Samuel, John and Thomas Walton received legacies by will in Richmond county, in 1702. George Walton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was a son of Robert Walton, of Cumberland, whose will, recorded in 1749, gave lands to children John, Robert, Sarah and George. Sarah was the wife of Thomas Watkins, and George resided in Savannah. George Walton, born in Frederick county, Virginia, was governor of Georgia in 1779-80, and 1789-90.
William Walton, a native of Virginia, was a planter, and also owned and conducted an in at Louisa Court House, was a volunteer in the Confederate armies, serving from the outbreak of the war between the states until the close of that struggle, participating in many battles. He was an active member and a deacon of the Methodist Episcopal church. He died in 1809. His wife, Lydia Ann, was a daughter of Professor Turner, a teacher and prominent man of Virginia. She was born at Louisa Court House, and died in 1902.
William B. Walton, son of Andrew Washington and Lydia Ann (Turner) Walton, was born November 9, 1869, at Louisa Court House, and attended private and public schools there and at Hanover, Virginia. He went from Virginia to Lincoln, Kentucky, to live with an uncle, Colonel W. P. Walton, of Stanford, and there attended private schools. W. P. Walton was a very prominent citizen, and owner and publisher of the "Interior Journal" and "Kentucky State Journal," and the nephew lived with him in Kentucky for eight years. During this time he assisted in various capacities in the production of his uncle's newspapers. Returning to Virginia, he entered Randolph-Macon College at Ashland, in 1899, but did not complete the college course. Having laid the foundation for a newspaper career, in September, 1894, he established the Hanover "Herald," and has been the editor and owner of this influential journal continuously to the present time. Mr. Walton has gained an enviable position in the community, where he exercises a strong influence and is appreciated and esteemed for his ability and character. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, Hanover Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. He has been prominent and active in the political movements of the state, acting with the Democratic party, and has held several important offices. In 1911 he was elected a member of the state legislature to represent Hanover county, and re-elected in 1914, having a string opposition in both campaigns.
Mr. Walton married, in 1895, M. Annie Johnson, daughter of B. F. and Barbara Overton (Terrell) Johnson. She died December 16, 1906, leaving four sons: William B., B. Frank, Andrew Washington, and Charles Vernon, all now attending school. B. F. Johnson, the father of Mrs. Walton, was, for many years, roadmaster of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.
Richard Walke. The Walke family, prominent in the history of Virginia for many centuries, was worthily represented in the present generation by the late Richard Walke, of Norfolk, who was an earnest, able and leading member of the legal profession of the state. The arms of the family are: Gules on a Chevron Ar. between three crosslets Or. on a chief Ar. a buckshead caboches. Crest: A buckshead erased ppr. Motto: Semper vigilans.
(I) Thomas Walke, the first of the line here under consideration of whom we have information, came to Virginia from Barbadoes, 1662; married, 1689, Mary Lawson, daughter of Colonel Anthony Lawson; will proved January 15, 1693. They were the parents of Anthony, of whom further.
(II) Anthony Walke, first of Fairfield, son of Thomas and Mary (Lawson) Walke, was born in 1692, died November 8, 1768, buried at "Fairfield," Princess Anne county, Virginia. For many years he was a member of the house of burgesses and judge of Princess Anne county court. He married (first) Mary Sanford, March 11, 1712; (second) Elizabeth Newton, who died October 30, 1724; (third) April 4, 1725, Anna Lee Armistead, who died February 14, 1732, daughter of Captain William Armistead, of Eastmost River, Gloucester county, Virginia, and his wife, Anna (Lee) Armistead, who were married before 1706, the latter named dying after 1753. Captain William Armistead was a son of John and Judith Armistead, of Gloucester county, Virginia, the former named colonel and member of the council, died before 1703. John Armistead was son of William and Anne Armistead, to whom were patented four hundred and fifty acres in Elizabeth City county, Virginia, in 1636. William Armistead was son of Anthony and Frances (Thompson) Armistead, of Kirk, Deighton, Yorkshire, England, who were married in 1608.
(III) Anthony (2) Walke, son of Anthony (1) and Anna Lee (Armistead) Walke, was born January 3, 1726, died October 2, 1779, buried at "Greenwich," Princess Anne county, Virginia. He was a man of wealth and liberality, he gave the land and built at his own expense a church edifice about twelve miles from Norfolk, in Princess Anne county, called "Old Donation Church." His will was recorded March 14, 1782. He was a member of the house of burgesses. He married (first) Jane Randolph, aunt of John Randolph, of Roanoke, and by her had one son, Rev. Anthony Walke (3rd). He married (second) Mary Moseley, May 8, 1757; she died November 22, 1795; her will was dated December 3, 1788. She was daughter of Edward Hack Moseley, burgess from Princess Anne county, Virginia, from 1671 to 1679, colonel and sheriff of the county and vestryman, died 1783, and his wife, Mary (Bassett) Moseley, born August 7, 1716, died 1755, buried at "Greenwich," Virginia, daughter of Hon. William Bassett, born 1670, died 1723, of "Eltham," New Kent county, Virginia, member of the King's council, reign of William and Mary, and his wife, Joanna (Burwell) Bassett, born 1672, died 1727, daughter of Lewis and Abigail (Smith) Burwell, of Carter's Creek, Gloucester county, Virginia. Hon. William Bassett was a son of William Bassett, from county Southampton, England, captain in British army at Dunkirk, settled in Blissland parish, New Kent county, Virginia, died in 1761, and his wife, Bridget (Cary) Bassett. William Bassett was a son of William Bassett, yeoman, of Newport, Isle of Wight, England. Edward H. Moseley was a son of Hillary Moseley, of Princess Anne county, Virginia, whose will made November 1, 1727, was recorded August 5, 1730, and his wife, Hannah Moseley. Hillary Moseley was a son of Colonel Edward Moseley, colonel and justice of Princess Anne county; high sheriff, 1707-08; on the court which tried Grace Sherwood for witchcraft, 1706; member of house of burgesses; knight of the Golden Horseshoe, 1710-22; married Mrs. Bartholomew Taylor, daughter of Colonel John Stringer, of the eastern shore of Virginia. Colonel Moseley was a son of William Moseley, commissioner of Lower Norfolk county, Virginia, died 1671, and his wife, Mary (Gookin) Moseley, daughter of Captain John Gookin, non-conformist, member of grand assembly for Lower Norfolk, died November 22, 1643, and his wife Sarah (Offley) Gookin, who died in 1657. William Moseley was a son of William and Susanna Moseley, who came from Rotterdam, Holland, to Virginia, in 1649, with his wife and two sons, William and Arthur; he was justice of Lower Norfolk county from March 16, 1649, to April 26, 1655; he died in 1655.
(V) Anthony Walke (4th), son of William and Mary (Calvert) Walke, was born at "The Ferry," Princess Anne county, Virginia, September 13, 1783, died in Ross county, Ohio, March 19, 1865. He was a member of the Virginia and Ohio legislatures. He married Susan H. Boush, of Chillicothe, Ohio, aged eighty-nine years, leaving a number of descendants.
(V) William (2) Walke, son of William and Mary (Calvert) Walke, was born in Princess Anne county, Virginia, April 3, 1786, died in Norfolk, Virginia, July 7, 1882. He married Elizabeth Nash, of Norfolk, Virginia, and had four children: Richard, William, Lewis and Calvert.
(VI) Richard Walke, son of William (2) and Elizabeth (Nash) Walke, was born in August, 1813, he married Mary Diana Talbot, born April 28, 1817, daughter of Isaac Talbot and Sarah Willoughby Colley, his wife. Their children were: William Talbot, married Sally Gary; Richard, of whom further; Isaac Talbot, died unmarried; Mary Calvert, married Commodore William Talbot Truxton; Henry, died unmarried; Sally Willoughby, married Thomas Pinckney; Betty, married Captain Walton Goodwin, United States navy; Mary Louisa, married Littleton Waller tazewell; Willoughby, married Julia Sharp.
(VII) Richard (2) Walke, son of Richard (1) and Mary Diana (Talbot) Walke, was born in Norfolk, Virginia, December 9, 1840, died at sea, June 20, 1901, while on a voyage to Europe in search of health. In the autumn of 1855 he entered William and Mary College, at Williamsburg, Virginia, where in 1857 he graduated, taking the Master of Arts degree. In the fall of that year he entered the University of Virginia, and in 1860 graduated with the Master of Arts degree. He then went to Europe and entered the University of Berlin, but shortly afterwards Virginia seceded from the Union and he at once relinquished his studies in order to join the armies of his people. Upon his arrival at Norfolk he enlisted as a private in Company B, which afterward became Company G, Sixth Virginia Regiment, better known perhaps as Mahone's regiment. He served as a private in that company until May, 1862, when he was appointed first sergeant, which position he held until April, 1863, when, having passed an examination for admission to the ordnance corps he was appointed by President Davis a first lieutenant of ordnance and assigned to the staff of General William Mahone, where he served until the spring of 1864. He was then appointed captain and inspector general and in that capacity served on the staff of General R. L. Walker, chief of artillery, Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, until the close of the war. He was a man of absolute intrepidity and an officer of distinguished merit, an in the esteem of his comrades and of his superior officers he was recognized as belonging to the same high type of the Virginia soldier as McCabe and Pegram. After the war he studied law in the office of Judge Dobbin, of Baltimore, and also in the office of Richard H. Baker, of Norfolk, with whom in 1870 he formed a copartnership under the firm name of Baker & Walke, which continued until July 1, 1879. He became a member of the firm of Walke & Old, October 1, 1879, and this continued until his death. He was a most distinguished lawyer, and argued many cases before the appellate courts, the supreme court of appeals of Virginia, the circuit court of appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States, always exhibiting careful preparation, honesty, and power of intellect and comprehensive grasp of the legal and moral principles of his case. On legal questions his judgment was strong and reliable, but on moral questions it was unerring.
In his own community he achieved a most unique distinction. He engaged in the trying competitions of life, yet there was no criticism of his methods, the re was nos suggestion that he had ever departed from the right, and there was never even an attempt to put a blot upon his name. His example upon the community in which he lived was elevating in a very high degree, and it might have been greater if he had permitted himself to put aside his reserve and to come into closer and more intimate contact with the daily lives of his fellow-men, but this reserve was characteristic of him and nothing could penetrate it. He was qualified by character and by attainments to fill a great place in the public service, but no persuasion could prevail upon him to become actively associated with public affairs. If he had consented to do so, he would have impressed himself indelibly upon the history of his time.
Mr. Walke married, November 1, 1870, Annie Nivison Bradford, born September 29, 1849, daughter of Major Edmund and Anne Elizabeth (Tazewell) Bradford. Children: 1. Anne Tazewell, born October 27, 1872; married, April 19, 1898, Richard Corbin Byrd; child, Richard Walke, born August 19, 1899. 2. Mary Willoughby, born October 13, 1875. 3. Littleton Tazewell, born February 12, 1877, died March 10, 1901. 4. Richard Calvert, born October 31, 1878, died June 21, 1879. 5. Gertrude Abyvon, born March 7, 1880; married Edward D. Tayloe; child, Edward T. 6. Dorothy Bradford, born July 6, 1881. 7. Diana Talbot, born December 2, 1887; married Rufus Parks; children, Nathaniel Gorham and Littleton Walke.
William James Woodward. History informs us that several persons bearing the name of Woodward suffered persecution among the Friends of England, and one of them, named Henry, died in prison. In Worcestershire we find the names of John, John, Richard and Thomas, all of whom suffered more or less for their religious opinions. From careful research we find that there appears to have been as many as five different settlements of those bearing the name of Woodward in the early colonization of t his country. They settled im Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia. Those of Maryland, in the counties of Anne Arundel and St. Mary's were found there among the earliest settlers, near St. Anne's chapel, which is supposed to be one of the earliest churches of the Episcopal denomination in America. The Woodwards of Virginia antedate all others of the early settlers. Henry Woodward came to Virginia in the ship "Diana," and was living at Hog Island, with Jane, his wife, in 1624. The Rev. James Bacon, of England, first cousin of Sir Francis Bacon, married Martha, a daughter of George Woodward, of Buckinghamshire, England, and had issue, Nathaniel, born 1620, died in 1692, member of council in Virginia, 1657; burgess of York, 1659; acting governor, 1689; this was not the rebel. During the reign of Charles, fifteen thousand families had been ruined for their religious persuasions, and on the accession of James, twelve hundred Friends were released from filthy prisons and noisome dungeons, in which five thousand had perished for conscience's sake. In 1690 grants of land were made in North Carolina to William and Samuel Woodward. In 1719, grants were made to Henry, James and Edward Woodward. We find other records as follows: Thomas Woodward, clerk of the assembly in March, 1655; Thomas Woodward, of the Isle of Wight, in 1678; Thomas Woodward constituted sole surveyor of North Carolina, in 1662. Captain Henry Woodward was an active participant in the French and Indian wars, 1755-57. Eliza Cocke married Lawrence Woodward, a descendant of Christopher Woodward, mentioned below.
Christopher Woodward, born in 1594, came to Virginia in the year 1620. In 1629 he was burgess for Westover. The name was found in Henrico county, where the patent was found at a later date. Christopher Woodward received a grant of three hundred acres on the Appomattox river for transportation of wife and four persons, he married (first) Margaret , (second) Dorothy .
Samuel Woodward, son of Christopher Woodward, of Charles City county, Virginia, died in 1680. He was prominent in Virginia, and wealthy, owning a large part of Turkey Island. He married Mrs. Sarah (Hallam) Sturdivant, a daughter of Robert Hallam, of James City county, Virginia.
Samuel Woodward, son of Samuel and Sarah (Hallam) (Sturdivant) Woodward, was born in Virginia, and removed to Boston, Massachusetts. In the county records there is a deed, dated 1705, from this Samuel Woodward, conveying to William Randolph a one-third interest in one thousand acres of land on Turkey Island. He had inherited Turkey Island from his mother. There is a record of his removal to Massachusetts, at which time he left a power of attorney for the sale of his property in Virginia. Subsequently he removed from Massachusetts to North Carolina, where he became a large owner. He was known as Captain Woodward, 1730-31 (?). An act of assembly appointed Samuel Woodward, Esq., powder receiver of Brunswick county, North Carolina, 1739. He died March 13, 1752. He married (first) Elizabeth ; (second) Sarah, daughter of Edward Cannon. Children: Samuel; Edward; Richard, of further mention; Elizabeth.
Richard Woodward, son of Samuel Woodward, married, in 1752, Abigail White, and removed to Portsmouth, Virginia. Children: Francis, served in the continental army, as private in Captain William Hofflen's company, First Virginia Regiment; John, a private in Captain George Vashenn's company, died in service; Richard, of further mention.
Richard Woodward, son of Richard and Abigail (White) Woodward, married Jemima , and had children: William, born in 1779; James, of further mention; John, born October 27, 1793.
James Woodward, son of Richard and Jemima Woodward, was born September 19, 1791, and died May 24, 1845. He married, December 10, 1817, Mary, a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Cowling) Vaughn. They had children: 1. Richard Lafayette, born October 2, 1824, died August 13, 1864. He married, December 27, 1854, Missouri, daughter of Miles Lassiter, and had children: Henry B.; Mary M., married Judge R. H. Rawles, of Suffolk, Virginia; Richard L. 2. James, of further mention. 3. Thomas C. 4. William B. 5. Ann Eliza. 6. Elmo. 7. Martha Virginia.
James Woodward, son of James and Mary (Vaughn) Woodward, was born in Suffolk, Virginia, in 1876. He was educated in private schools and Suffolk Academy, and was engaged in farming until the outbreak of the civil war, when he enlisted in the Confederate army. He was a member of the Thirteenth Regiment, Virginia Cavalry, being assigned to Chalmer's Brigade, and later under General J. E. B. Stuart, the dashing cavalry leader, participated in all the battles fought by the Stuart brigade. He shirked no duty, was always at his post, serving three years and four months. He was miraculously preserved from death in battle, once being shot through the crown of his hat, and again struck by a minie ball in the breast, an old daguerreotype of the family which he carried with him, preventing the ball from entering his body. His military service continued until the surrender at Appomattox, although the last week of his service was spent as a prisoner of war. He was on the march, but he and a few of his comrades stopped to prepare a simple meal of hoe cakes, when they were surrounded by the Federals, taken prisoners and taken to Point Lookout Prison. His experiences as a cavalry man were varied and most thrilling; he bore a charmed life, but while escaping the bullets of his enemies, he did no escape the effects of privation and exposure, and he returned to his family broken in health, and he did not recover sufficiently to enter business life until four years later. He then engaged in the retail grocery business in Portsmouth, Virginia, for a short time, when ill health compelled his retirement a few years prior to his death. He was devoted to his home and family, and had no interest in societies, clubs or in political life. He was an attendant at the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Woodward married, December 29, 1852, Maria P. Harrell, born July 27, 1835, died May 1, 1900. Children: Restonica, born August 10, 1854, married, February 27, 1884, James Hoskins Jones, died, November 17, 1892; Mary Middleton, born April 12, 1858, married, April 30, 1878, William Aurelius Wrenn (q. v.); William James, of further mention.
William James Woodward, only son of James and Maria P. (Harrell) Woodward, was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, October 15, 1860. He attended private schools until fourteen years of age, and then began business life as clerk in the office of Crookston & Smith, lumber dealers. He remained with this firm five years, then, in 1879, went with the firm Upshur & Henderson for one year, then in succession with Gurley, Hardison & Company, and Gurley & Brother, all these firms being engaged in the lumber business. In 1887 Mr. Woodward commenced his long connection with the firm of Nottingham & Wrenn, coal and lumber dealers, a connection that has now existed more than a quarter of a century. In 1891 the firm was incorporated as The Nottingham & Wrenn Company, Mr. Woodward then becoming manager of the lumber department. I 1910 he was elected secretary and manager, which dual position he now fills. He is thoroughly the energetic, capable man of business, understands every detail of the large business he manages, and possesses a whole-souled, generous disposition that wins and holds all who come in contact with him. He is a member of many clubs and societies, is past sachem of Minerva Tribe, Order of Red Men; past consul of Woodmen of the World; member of the Improved Order of Heptasophs; Hampton Roads Yacht Club; the Hoo-Hoo Lumber Organization; Norfolk Board of Trade, and the Business Men's Association. He is a Democrat in politics, and in religion is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, being a member of the board of stewards, and having served for nine years as treasurer of the church.
Mr. Woodward married, June 26, 1882, Augusta Virginia Minter, born July 24, 1862, a daughter of Augustus C. and Mary Virginia (Crocker) Minter, of Norfolk, Virginia. Her maternal grandfather, Captain David Crocker, born in Boston, Massachusetts, February 22, 1804, died April 10, 1874, was a sea captain, as was her father, Mr. Minter. Captain Crocker married Mary Isetta Henry, born in 1804, died in July, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Woodward had children: 1. James, born in Norfolk, Virginia, September 7, 1883, was educated at Norfolk Academy and Randolph-Macon College, and after a business course of two years, he entered the employ of the Norfolk National Bank. In 1913 he entered the employ of the Nottingham & Wrenn Company with his father. He is a young man of high standing, is master of Atlantic Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; is a companion of Norfolk Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; a cryptic Mason, Norfolk Council, royal and Select Masters; a sir knight of Grice Commandery. Knights Templar, and a noble of Khedive Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member and active in the Methodist Episcopal church and Sunday school, and in politics is a Democrat. 2. Mary Middleton. 3. William Harold, was born in Norfolk, Virginia, May 10, 1890. He was educated at Norfolk Academy and Fishburn Military School, entering business life under his father, with the Nottingham & Wrenn Company.
Everett Webb Gee, M. D. Dr. Gee descends from an old Virginia family, long seated in Lunenburg county, where his grandfather, Everett Gee, a wealthy planter and slave owner, born in 1800, lived to a good old age. His wife, also a Gee, born him eight children, of whom three are yet living: Joseph, living near Williamsburg, West Virginia; Charles, near Ronceverte, West Virginia; Carrie at Blackstone, Virginia.
Edward Crimes Gee, M. D., a son of Everett Gee, was born in Lunenburg county, Virginia, in 1837, died October 1, 1893. He practiced his profession in his native county and was also the proprietor of a mercantile establishment at Lochleven. During the entire period of the war between the states he was officially connected with the Richmond hospitals, caring for the soldiers. He married, in 1859, Frances, daughter of Garner Webb, a farmer of Lunenburg county, who died about 1865, aged seventy-five years. He married Harriet Webb and there were ten children, two of whom are yet living: Mrs. Frances Gee and John A. Webb, a merchant of Kinbridge, Lunenburg county. Dr. Edward C. and Frances Gee after their marriage lived at Lochleven, where their thirteen children were born, of whom nine are living: Nannie B., married (first) W. A. Jones, (second) E. S. Watkins, and resides in Lochleven; Hattie, died in infancy; Everett Webb, of whom further; Etta May, married W. C. Winn, a merchant of Pleasant Grove, Lunenburg county; Jessie E., married Dr. T. C. Harris, a practicing physician of Kinbridge, Lunenburg county; Robert E., farmer and internal revenue commissioner of Lunenburg county; Gertrude, married J. G. Bailey, of Kinbridge; John William, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, located at Prospect, Virginia; Tunis Thomas, a farmer at Lochleven; James, twin of Tunis T., died in infancy; Susan, deceased; Charles, deceased; Frank A., a farmer of Lochleven.
Everett Webb Gee, M. D. third child of Dr. Edward C. Gee, was born in Lochleven, Lunenburg county, Virginia, July 20, 1865. His early education was obtained in the public schools, and from the age of fourteen to twenty-one years he was a clerk in his father's general mercantile business in Lochleven. In 1886 he entered the Medical College of Virginia in Norfolk, and was there graduated Doctor of Medicine, class of 1888. He then returned to Lochleven where until his father's death in 1893 they were associated in practice. Two years later he located in Richmond, Virginia, establishing offices at No. 315 East Clay street. In 1906 he moved to his present location, No. 416 East Grace street, where he is well established in public esteem as an honorable, skillful physician. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Virginia Medical Association, Tri-State Medical Association, Southern Medicine Railroad, Academy of Medicine and Surgery of Richmond, Virginia. He is a member of the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, and a Democrat in politics.
Dr. Gee married, in Richmond, July 16, 1891, Virginia W. Webb, born June 16, 1866, at Lunenburg Courthouse, daughter of William W. and Virginia H. (Eames) Webb. William W. Webb died in November, 1892, aged sixty-five years; his widow yet survives him, a resident of Richmond. Children of Dr. Everett W. and Virginia W. (Webb) Gee: William Webb, born November 12, 1893; Margaret, died in 1901, aged three and a half years; M. Virginia, born January 31, 1903.