A. M. Vicars Home
Location: North side of Main Street, Wise,
opposite the old Virginia Cafe. Sixth building east of the Post Office.
Date: Built 1865 or 1866.
Owners: Land sold at the sale of the Mortgaged
land to Daniel Ramey, November 21, 1853, sold without provisions for deed
to the following. Sold by Title Bond. Ramey sold to James H. Stallard who
sold to William
H. Roberson, who sold to T. G. Wells, who
sold to Solomon Wells. Solomon Wells resided at this place until some time
during the 1870's. He sold to James M. Gibson. At the resale of the DeTebeuf
land this place was sold to William H. Roberson, December 1, 1876. Roberson
sold to James H. Gibson, July 23, 1878. Gibson sold to L. H. N. Salyer,
September 27, 1878. Salyer sold to John L. Kinser, December 1, 1880. Kinser
sold to J. W. Hutchinson, March 3, 1885. Hutchinson sold to Oscar M. Vicars,
October 14, 1895. O. M. Vicars sold to A. M. Vicars, April 8, 1918.
Description: This house was formerly a five
room frame building, two rooms upstairs and two down with a "lean-to" kitchen.
It is a frame building, weatherboarded and ceiled. The foundation of this
part), is a large logs and the framing is
made of straight hewn oak poles, put together with wooden pins. The original
rooms are about 14 x 14 feet with eight foot ceiling. The flooring and
ceiling is yellow poplar, about
twelve inches wide and one inch thick. Windows
have 12 panes, 10 x 12 inches. Front entrance four pannelled door, with
transom and side lights. Hinges and locks are the common iron type. All
cornices are plain wood.
Two story porch about 8 x 8 foot, with gabled
roof and small round columns. Three flight stairway leading up
from the hall, open string baluster, square
newels and plain handrail all of yellow poplar wood. Metal, gabled type
roof. The lean-to kitchen was torn away by J. W. Hutchinson in 1885 and
two rooms added to the rear
making the house "L" shaped. Two chimneys
at the end of brick. Formerly had fireplace but now has grates, with exception
of west room on second floor which still has fireplace.
Historical Significance: Various people have
rented and lived in this house since Solomon Wells sold it.
James H. Gibson
one time owner of this place was Sheriff of Wise County. L. H. N. Salyer
was on the 3rd day of June 1861 at Wise Courthouse elected Captain of a
bunch of 101 soldiers that he had mustered and marched away to Wytheville
where they were organized into a regiment. Captain Salyers Company,
50th Confederate Virginia Volunteers was
engaged in all the major battles fought in Virginia. Captain Salyers was
wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville and was laid on a piano in the
old Chancellor House where he remained the whole of one day and perhaps
part or the whole of the ensuing night. He was made a Colonel before the
J. S. (Scott) Hutchinson
was sheriff of Wise County and he made the addition of two rooms to the
rear of this place to accommodate Jurors that had to be held in a body.
This house at one
time was used as a Grocery Store. Since 1895 it has been in the possession
of the Vicars family although during this time it has been rented to several
O. M. Vicars House
The O. M. Vicars
home on Main Street, at Wise is a twelve room brick built in 1891. It is
a two story, with finished rooms in the garret.
The rooms are of
varying width and lengths. The house is built more after the square type,
although it is neither square nor rectangular. The front entrance had a
one panel door with glass. The wooden panel has
carving. Transom over top. The side entrance
has two smallest door after the fashion of the front door separated by
a row of brick making two individual entrances. The side entrance has a
one story portico with two Ionic columns and a baluster around the top.
The baluster is elaborate and of metal. The newels are square and have
an ornamental top. Doors are all of oak and varnished.
The floors are all
matched white oak, narrow and uniform.
The Interior walls
are plastered with an oak wainscoting in all rooms with an oak paneling
between the baseboard and the top of the wainscoting.
The bottom exterior
cornices are of stone and the top are of metal.
The eaves of the
house has a fret work of metal around it.
The bottom interior
cornices are of wood and the top are of plaster.
All windows are
of the two pane type, but all are of varying width. All windows are cased
Doors have the "H"
type hinge, outside locks are all of brass.
The front porch
is about eight foot wide and approximately thirty feet long, running across
the front and around the east side. Where the porch circles around the
bottom of the tower it forms a long circle. The porch is one story and
has Ionic columns. One flight stair, closed string type, with turned newels
and balusters. Turned hand rail of oak wood.
Stairway leads up from hall. Front entrance
opens into a vestibule and the vestibule opens into the hall.
All interior doors
are the five panel type, with transom.
The house was first
heated by grates, but now is heated by hot water. The grate have a tiling
around them and the hearth is of tile. Mantels are elaborate, mirrored
and have slim, round elaborate columns supporting them. The tower is three
stories high. House has metal roof, with gabled top. Cellar underneath
house. Two baths. Servants quarters and other
buildings at rear.
The brick work is
all the common bond type.
This house was copied
after a Norman type home at Knoxville, TN.
It first belonged
to Napoleon B. Dotson and Dotson sold to Vicars.