Location: On a ridge above the mouth of Cane Patch Creek and on the east side.
Date: About 1835.
Owners: This land was first owned by James Stidham, he sold to J. David Rogers before the county was formed or he else sold to Adam Stidham and he sold to Rogers. J. D. Rogers sold to Marcus A. Rogers in 1885 and in 1896 he sold to J. J. Kelly, Kelly sold to the coal company.
Description: The Adam Stidham house was a double log building, one story, two rooms and a kitchen. The front part of the house was built like two pens and joined together at the center with double log walls. The house faced north with a chimney at the west end. The kitchen was built on the south side. It was floored with puncheons and the ceiling was laid down on top of the joists. There was two windows to each front room. Both the front rooms had one batten entrance door. The house had no porch in front, but there was a small porch at the rear. The kitchen part was built to the west room.
Significance: Adam Stidham was born in North
Carolina June 7, 1790. Died September 3, 1883. He
was married to Abagail, a daughter of Jerry Osborn
of North Carolina who was born in 1795 and died July
Information: J. Stidham, J. B. Hamilton, J. E. Lipps
and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.