Location: On Guest River near the Hopkins Chapel, on the north side of the river and near the present Emmett Day home.
Owners: Andrew W. Day acquired the land before the county of Wise was formed and it is still in the possession of his grand-son, Emmet Day.
Description: The Andrew W. Day home was a
small one room log cabin, board covered with a lean-to kitchen and stone
chimney. Nearby this house was his saw mill. The mill was run by water
power from a dam across
Historical Significance: Andrew W. Day was
a son of Joseph Day of Carroll County, VA. He early emigrated to this county
with his sister, Penelope, who married Lewis Roberts. He cleared land and
built his cabin near
Informants: Dr. J. M. Hill, James Taylor Adams, J. E. Lipps and Court Records. November 9, 1937.
Andy Day Brick Kiln
Location: Fifty yards west of State Highway 620, one mile southeast of Big Laurel, four miles northwest of Wise in a small bottom near an old log house known as the Bill Mays house.
Date: About 1850
Owner: Land bought about 1830 by John Wheatley
from Benjamin and George Warder. Sold to James Hamilton about 1850. Sold
by Hamilton's widow, Mary Hamilton, daughter of John Wheatley, to Felix
G. Creech in 1870, and by Creech to Virginia Iron Coal and Coke in 1900.
Description: Only signs remaining are pieces of bricks scattered about.
History: The Brick Kiln was established, owned
and operated by Andrew W. Day from 1850 to about 1881. It was here the
brick for the first brick courthouse was made.
Source of Information: John Aldorian, Hillsville and W. H. Clemmons and Wise records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.