Location: Near the Forks of the Roaring Fork Branch and on the right fork, near the Pardee Coal Camp.
Sturgill had nearly the whole
of this land before the formation of the county. He
had taken patents on
this land as early as 1832. At the formation of the
county on the first
land book he owned in this
Sturgill house was a pretty
good house for it's day. It was a two story, five
room, hewn log house.
Two rooms on each floor and a kitchen built to the
back. The house boasted
five fireplaces, which was not often found in the
earlier pioneer homes.
A chimney at the north and south ends furnished the
fireplaces for the
front part of the house and a chimney at the rear
furnished a fireplace
where the family cooking was done until the coming
of the cook stove. Each
of the five rooms had one window. A door in each of
Sturgill was a son of John
Sturgill of North Carolina, and was born July 2,
1810 and died November
16, 1890. He was married to Nancy, a daughter of
Preacher William Booth,
who was born in
Source of Information: J. B. Hamilton, Frank Gardner and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.