T. Yeary Place
William Richmond Settlement
River Boulevard at First Avenue,
Big Stone Gap, VA.
Huff was the first owner of
this place and he sold it to William Richmond before
the County of Wise
was formed. It cannot be ascertained whether Huff or
Richmond built this
house. If Huff built it, it is perhaps older than
the foregoing given date.
Richmond lived here until the fall of 1879. He sold
the place to James Monroe Flanary, August
21, 1879. The property is still in the possession of
the Flanary Heirs.
house is "U" shaped with
four rooms on each floor in the front. The top of
the U is formed by two
additions of rooms in length, one story high, each
of the two rooms are
added to the rear of the building at the ends making
an enclosed court
at the rear. The house is built of hewn yellow
weatherboarded with yellow poplar weatherboarding.
The floors are yellow poplar, about six inches wide
except five rooms that
have been refloored with matched flooring. The
ceilings are very low and
at one flight stairway leads up from the two end
rooms of the first floor
to the two end rooms of the second floor.
Long porch across the front, with small square
columns and a plain baluster. Gabled composition
roof and twelve pane type
window. Two interior chimneys with fireplaces and
hand made yellow poplar
This was the finest house in the community
in the early days.
Just back of this
house is a big flat rock running down into Powell
River that is known as
"Canoe Rock." About 1850 or before, William Richmond
began running a canoe
across the river to transport travelers across.
There was no charge for
this, he did it only as a neighborly act. After he
sold the place to
Flanary in 1879 the custom was still carried
on until the building of the bridge across the river
Thus the name is still known as Canoe Rock
to the people of that town.
was the first presiding Justice of Wise County Court
and was elected the
first day of court, July 28, 1856. His daughter Miss
was a school teacher at the Three Forks
Church House in 1862. Benjamin F. Richmond
was a son of the above mentioned and was a
Confederate Soldier and is buried
in the Glencoe Cemetery at Big Stone Gap. Ben
Richmond was married to Adaline,
a daughter of Jessee and Sarah Gilley, August 18,
1856, and Ben Richmond
was a merchant by trade. One
daughter Callie N. married Livingston M.
Day in 1864. The Richmonds moved to Floyd Co., KY,
in the fall of 1879.
They moved away in an ox-cart, the wheels of which
were made by sawing
a strip off the butt of a large log and working the
wheel from it. The
wheel, hub and spokes were all worked out together
making the whole wheel one piece. Early before
the county was formed William Richmond had some
slaves. A slave by the
name of Thomas, belonging to Richmond joined the
Three Forks Baptist Church
in July 1846 and the following month his black woman
by the name of Sealey
joined the same church.
William Richmond was known in the community
as "Fritter Bill" and is mentioned by this name in
Fox, Jr.'s Novel, "Christmas on Old Lonesome."
Information: Mrs. B. T. Yeary, Court
Records and Church Records.