Location: On Lick Fork of the Pound on the
Description: Consisted of anvil, hammer and tongs and bellows homemade from cow hide. Building was low one-room log structure.
History: Daniel Henry Short was born in North
Carolina in 1810 or 1811, a son of William and Mary Short. His parents
moved to Kentucky while he was still in infancy, and about 1820 crossed
back into Virginia and settled on head of Pound River. Here Dan grew to
manhood. He married Leah Baker, also a native of North Carolina, and settled
at what is known as the Creed Dorton place just below the village of Dewey.
It is believed that Daniel H. Short was the first man to establish a blacksmith
shop and made a business of smithing in Wise County. Prior to that time
settlers hammered out tools and sharpened and dressed tools at home. Short's
shop was established about 1845, probably as early as 1840, and he operated
it continuously until his death in 1890, serving a large territory. The
only signs of the shop today are the foundation stones of the building
and the fire place, and the ash dump at back of where the building stood.
Source of Information: C. F. Dorton and Mrs. David Maggard.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.