Location: On the
west side of US Route 23,
at the Parsons Springs,
Date: About 1870
Owners: At the time the Crockery was started, the property belonged to the County Road Department, and it now belongs to the State Highway Department.
furnace was something on
the order of a coke oven, except that it was more
oblong than hive shaped.
It was made of rock, lined and floored with brick.
Had a firebox underneath
and a brick floor over the firebox where the crocks
were stacked for burning.
This floor over the firebox had open eyes to let the
heat and blaze penetrate
around the crocks and other earthenware vessels. The
crocks were stacked
in the furnace, a fire started underneath at each
end of the furnace and
burnt for three days and nights. Then, the third
The way clay was
prepared: The clay was dug and ground in a mill,
something similar to the
old fashioned cane mill. After it was ground it was
and freed from all foreign matter and made into mud.
Anderson, was a brother of
James Anderson, who ran a Crockery in Norton from
1858 until in the 1880s.
He was married to Ura, a daughter of Jimmie Brown,
who once ran a Horse
Grist Mill in Wise. After he left the above
mentioned place, where he lived
in the old Parsons House, he moved to Lee Co., and
there for awhile made
Crockery. He died in 1888 from a horse kick. His
wife continued to live
at the home place near Fletcher's Ford in Lee Co.,
until March, 1896, when
she, along with her daughter-in-law, Easter, wife of
her son Andy, and
her two infant children, and a niece, Mary Fleenor,
and her infant child,
Informant: Mrs. Susie Moles, daughter of said Bob Anderson.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.