Location: On state Road 626, five miles west of Wise, and one half mile north of Big Laurel.
Date: About 1849
Owners: Charles Addington purchased from Benjamin
Description: The first building was a story-and-a-half hewn log building. Never weatherboarded or ceiled. It was torn down in 1916 by Daniel Gardner, who built a new house across the road. When Thomas J. Addington bought the property he moved the Gardner building across the road to the site of the original house. Addington now has under construction a new house on the site of the Gardner residence.
History: Charles Addington was a son of William
and Elizabeth Stallard Addington and was born in Scott County, VA and died
on his homeplace. He moved to Rocky Fork of Guest River about 1849, after
his brothers, Joseph and John, had settled here. His wife was Elizabeth,
daughter of Ralph and Milly Wheatley Kilgore. Charles Addington was noted
for his honesty of character. It is told how he once got up in death of
night, caught and saddled his horse and rode six miles to Gladeville to
return 5 cents to a merchant which had been given him by mistake in making
change. And, it is said, that he would not lie under any circumstances.
Once he told his wife to give him a cup and he would pick enough huckleberries
to make a pie before he came back from the field. She handed him an old-fashioned
tin cup which held a pint, enough for a pie for the two of them. Addington
had seen a huckleberry bush loaded with ripe berries the day before, and
thought there were plenty nearby. But he found them scarce. He hunted all
day, and night found him on the head of Pound River
Source of Information: John B. Addington, E. J. Bond.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.