yards west of State Highway
620, and about three hundred yards west of Guest
River. In southwest corner
of the Gray Graveyard.
Date: About 1830.
Owners: Charles Wesley Carter from 1820 (by claim); Same under title from State to about 1856; Alexander Gray; Major Harvey Gray to 1915 and Public Cemetery.
Description: In southwest corner of Gray Graveyard. Was until three years ago marked by a sassafrass tree which Carter planted as a marker.
Wesley Carter came from Scott
Co. about 1825 and planted a settlement at the mouth
of Rocky Fork of Guest
River. His home was on the spot where the J. H.
Addington home is now.
While clearing a new ground, Carter felled a tree
which "jumped back" over
the stump and caught one
Source of Information: William F. Carter; L. E. Carter; A. N. Kilgore.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.