The Clark Camp

Location: Two hundred yards south of Wise-Coeburn Road, on Guesses Mountain. Near the residence of Mrs. Trigg Nash.

Date: About 1795.

Owners: A man named Clark; later property of Rev. Reuben Steele; William Nash; Wickliffe Nash; Trigg Nash.

Description: No sign of the cabin remains today save some stones which were used in the fireplace. The cabin was a round-pole structure with one door. No windows. Covered with clapboards, weighted down with poles.

History: Sometime before 1800, probably 1795, a man named Clark came into the Guesses Mountain section and made a settlement at the headspring of Steeles Fork of Cranes Nest. He is believed to have been the first settler in the Guesses Mountain section, and may have ventured deeper in the wilderness from a former settlement at or near Guesses Station (now Coeburn). While living here, two men made their headquarters with him and hunted in the Cranes Nest and Guest River hills to the north and west. On one expedition the pair killed
seven deer in the Rocky Fork section, and the following day they celebrated by getting drunk on whiskey they had brought with them or which was furnished by Clark from his store. They began to demonstrate their marksmanship, finally going 100 yards and lying down and letting the other shoot a corn cob, laid lengthwise on their head. They were successful at this several times, but Mr. Clark warned them of the danger. They only laughed at him, and continued the shooting. But once too often. One of the hunters, Alexander Hall, by name
stepped off 150 yards and lay down and placed a cob on his head. The other fellow fired and the ball just grazed Hall's scalp. He was unconscious when they reached him, and died a few hours later. He was buried on a knoll a few hundred yards south of the Trigg Nash home and his grave, unmarked, is pointed out by members of the Nash family. 
     The story is also told that about the same time that Hall and his companion were at Clark's Camp, a woman who had been captured by the Indians and carried away to Ohio, escaped and made her way back across the mountains and arrived at Clark's Camp in a dying condition. She was buried on the knoll hear Hall's grave, and her resting place is also known by the Nashes, but is not marked.

Source of Information: Taylor Nash

Return to Wise
Return to Articles

Copyright Notice
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.