Location: On the back of the public square and near the creek.
Date: Built perhaps about 1850 used as Clerk's Office in 1856.
Owners: First owned by Daniel Ramey and at the formation of the county he deeded to the county the public square.
Description: The building was a small one-room, log or pole building that had been built and used as a corn crib by Daniel Ramey.
History: At the formation of the county there
were no buildings suitable for official purposes, most of the buildings
in the pioneer town of Gladeville being residences and the small room Primitive
Baptist Church was being used as a courthouse until one could be built
so that the Clerk had to find an office as best he could. The only thing
obtainable it seems was the Daniel Ramey corn crib and into this Uncle
Morgan Lipps moved and set up his official office as Clerk of the new county.
Informants: J. E. Lipps, C. A. Johnson and
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.