Location: On the left or east side of the road leading up Guest River, just above the Marion Rogers place.
Date: About same as Thomas Rogers settlement (1820).
Owners: See Thomas Rogers Write-up below
Description: Small log house, some of the chimney rocks still remain at the original site. This house was gone and only chimney rock marked the spot 61 years ago.
History: Commodore Rogers was a son of Thomas
Rogers, and had his Herder's Cabin, at the above place, being about two
miles up the river and north of that of his father. It is thought by some
that the Rogers' had their families here with them and it is perhaps true,
for both still have descendants yet in Wise County, although neither settlement
Source of Information: Marion Roberts, J.
T. Adams, J. E. Lipps and Etta Lawson.
Thomas Rogers Settlement
Location: About one mile above Starnes Bridge on Guest River on south side and part of what is known as the Beaver Dam Farm.
Date: About 1820.
Owners: Thomas Rogers, James Hunsucker, Virginia Coal and Iron Company.
Description: There is no way possible to get
a description of the Thomas Rogers cabin, except that we know it was built
of logs and was gone long before the Civil War. The Rogers settlements
were not permanent, being
History: Thomas Rogers was a native of Scott Co. A ridge heading up in the foothills of the Black Mountain still bears the name of Rogers' Ridge. I have been told by an old settler of the Guest River section that somewhere in the Black Mountain is a large rock with the Rogers' initials and the date they came to that place carved thereon.
Source of Information: J. T. Adams, Marion Roberts and J. E. Lipps.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.