Location: On west side of the road leading up Birchfield from Wise and about two miles from the Courthouse.
Owners: John Gilliam acquired a boundary of
land around this place about 1840 and he sold this tract to Ellis Dean,
September 16, 1861. Ellis Dean built the house and lived here until
about 1883. Under a Chancery
Description: The Ellis Dean house was a one
story log house with a kitchen built to the rear. Board covered with stone
chimney at the north end. The loft of the house was rather high and, as
most of the earlier pioneer homes, could be used for sleeping quarters.
The house had no porch. Wide batten door and one window in front. Plank
floors. The house was mud daubed and considered a very good house for that
early date. Surrounded by a green lawn with an old fashioned paling fence.
Two very fine and large evergreen trees are
Source of Information: C. A. Johnson, J. E. Lipps, D. C. Dean and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.