Location: On the present site of the Courthouse Square and nearer the west end.
Date: Approximately 1845
Owners: Samuel Salyers first resided on the land that the Ramey house was located on. It is not known what claims he had to this land as he was here before the County was organized. He perhaps sold what ever claim he had to Ramey and at the sale of the State mortgaged land November 21, 1853, Ramey became the purchaser and he donated the land to the County in 1856 for a Public Square and at the resale of the land, George W. Kilgore, Commissioner, on the first day of August 1876, conveyed the same to the County of Wise.
Description: The Daniel Ramey house was on
the Court House site where the new annex (1929) is. It was a two-story
log house. One room on each floor and a built-to kitchen. Board roof, with
plank floors. The house was about 20 feet square. The Ramey house was considered
a very good house for the early pioneer home.
Source of Information: J. E. Lipps, C. A.
Johnson and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.