David Smith Home
Isaac Kilgore Settlement
Location: One mile east of the Court House
on the South side of
Date: 1850 or before
Owners: At the sale of the State mortgaged
land November 21, 1853, Hiram H. Kilgore became purchaser of this land.
He sold by title bond to his brother Isaac Kilgore as there was no provision
made at that time for
deeds for this land.
Isaac Kilgore sold by
title bond to Levi Hoback, and at the resale of this State land it was
deeded to Levi Hoback, July 10, 1877.
Hoback sold to David
H. Smith, May 11, 1892.
David H. Smith sold
to his son William B. Smith, June 25, 1903.
William B. Smith
sold to J. W. & Eura Osborne, November 28, 1904.
Osborne's sold to
Mrs. I. N. Andrews, October 31, 1931.
Description: Two story, four room, hewn log,
with two rooms built to the rear making the house "L" shaped. The house
was been weatherboarded on the front, but the upper part of the porch as
been converted into an
enclosed sleeping porch. Interior chimney,
with grates in each of the four front rooms. All windows are the four pane
type, four panel doors. Ceilings are very low. All flooring is uniform,
Historical Significance: Isaac Kilgore was
a brother of Preacher Hiram H. and William (Billy) Kilgore both of whom
lived near this place. He was a native of Scott Co., VA, and married Nancy,
a daughter of John
(Jackie) Bond of Scott Co. For many years
he owned a grist mill on Yellow Creek. To this union was born children:
1. Mary J., who
married James D., a son of Morgan T. Lipps and a brother of J. E. Lipps,
of Wise. James D. Lipps was a Confederate soldier, enlisted in Company
H, 50 VA Volunteers at Gladeville Courthouse
June 3, 1861 and was sent home by the Company
Surgeon, from the regions of White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, July
2. Rebecca married
1st Weddington Vanover and 2nd James Willis, and her descendants are numerous
in Dickenson Co., VA.
married Wiley Davis, son of Eli Davis.
4. Hannah, married
John Trivett. Wilsy Trivett, well-known resident of Dickenson Co., VA is
her son. Levi Hoback emigrated from Bland Co., VA, during the Civil War.
Upon his arrival in Wise Co. he
first rented the Virginia Hotel in the town
of Gladeville and lived there until he moved to the foregoing mentioned
place. He was a noted Southern Methodist Preacher and traveled around extensively
preaching the work of God. Levi Hoback was married to Annie Harmon of Bland
Co. and to this union was born two sons and three daughters.
1. Dr. M. B. Hoback
who married Agnes M. Kilbern, January 1, 1868, lived and died in the town
of Wise and was a well known early doctor. His descendants still reside
2. Elizabeth, married
George W. Kilgore, a son of Preacher Hiram H. Kilgore, in 1863. George
Kilgore was an eminent lawyer and served as Judge of Wise and Buchanan
counties from 1870 to 1888.
3. Nannie, married
David Smith and lived and died at the old home place.
4. Virginia, married
J. Frank Davis.
5. Peter, died when
a young man.
The old Hoback place
remained in the hands of the family until 1931 when it was sold to the
Andrews family. After the death of Levi Hoback his daughter Nannie Smith
lived there until her death and then the place
was sold to William, son of Nannie Smith.
Source of Information: J. E. Lipps, C. A.
Johnson, O. B. Gilley and Court Records.