The Ellington Kilgore Home
Location: In Wise on the present Shorty Gilliam
lot, on the south side of Main Street, adjoining the Methodist Church.
Date: About 1866-67.
Owners: Ellington Kilgore, Shorty Gilliam
Description: Long, four room log house, two
rooms downstairs and two up. Two story porch across the front and one twelve
pane window in each room. Plank floor. Entrance doors in each room of the
Stairway leading up from the porch on the
outside. Shingle roof and center chimney with a fireplace in each room.
This house burned several years ago.
History: Ellington Kilgore was a son of Robin
Kilgore, who was the son of Robert Kilgore, who fought Indians and helped
build the old Fort at the Ford of Copper Creek, southwest of Nickelsville,
in Scott Co., VA. Ellington's mother was Elizabeth Gray, and both were
of Scotch-Irish extraction. Robin Kilgore, father of the subject was a
pioneer farmer and resided on Copper Creek in Scott Co.
In 1855, Ellington
was united in marriage to Matilda J., a daughter of James Sperry Powers,
of Scott Co. In 1858, he settled on Holly Creek, three miles northwest
of Clintwood, in Dickenson Co., VA. He was a Captain of a militia company,
while he lived in Scott Co. and after he settled on Holly Creek, he organized
a militia company and drilled his recruits every Saturday, where the town
of Clintwood now stands. In the early part of the Civil War he joined the
Union side and went to Louisa, KY. His family soon followed after him to
that place where they resided during the
war. He was made a Lieutenant of Company B, 39th Regiment KY Volunteers
and served till the close of the war. After the war he returned to the
old home place on Copper Creek. In Scott Co. And resided there for a very
short time, and then came to Wise and settled at the foregoing described
He was born June
13, 1830 and died November 8, 1890. His wife (Matilda) was born June 7,
1827 and died August 24, 1900. After the war he led a life in the town
of Wise of political importance and a citizen of worthy reputation.
He was appointed
Clerk of the Court and qualified August 30, 1869; Deputy Sheriff, May 26,
1869; Supervisor of Gladeville Township, 1871; Land Assessor, March 26,
1872; Elected Sheriff 1873; Deputy Sheriff, June 29, 1875. Appointed Commissioner
of Revenue, March 5, 1873. Elbert Kilgore, son of the subject served as
Clerk of Wise Co., from 1893 to 1905.
Source of Information: C. A. Johnson, Genette
K. Kelley, Mrs. W. E. Kilgore and Court Records.