Location: On the right or west side of the road leading up to the Nettle Patch from Ramsey. Known as the Smith Place.
Date: About 1851.
Owners: Freeman Beverly bought this place about 1851. He sold to James Brown, in 1875. Brown sold to George Dingus in 1876. Dingus sold to his son Tom and he sold to a Smith. Mrs. Sallie Easterling bought it in 1925, who still owns it. The place is now occupied by Ed Jenkins, a renter.
Description: Story and a half, hewn log house,
with two rooms on the first floor, board roof, stone chimney at the end.
The house was chinked and mud daubed. House faces east, with one story
porch across the front. Freeman Beverly and his sons sawed boards from
logs by hand and covered this house. The first
History: Freeman Beverly was born in 1806
and was married to Unicy, a daughter of Joel Ramsey, and a sister to James
Whitley Ramsey. He was a miller by trade and had a grist mill continuously
from 1836 until his death in 1890. He was reputed to be a faith healer
and was also a weaver. He wove bedspreads,
Source of Information: R. Beverly, J. T. Hamilton
and collected notes.
Location: Near Tacoma on the Norton-Coeburn
Date: About 1836
Owner: Freeman Beverly
Description: Building about 20 x 24. Log construction.
History: This was probably the first mill
ever established in Wise County to do custom grinding, excepting James
Mullins' horse powered pound on Pound River. Freeman Beverly, a son
of Robert Beverly, the weaver, built this mill about 1836, and operated
it for several years. Tradition says that he moved the mill several times
during his life, but kept it in almost
Source of Information: W. P. Beverly, W. P. Dotson, Letters of W. P. Beverly.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.