Location: On south side of road leading up Guest River from Esserville, the present site of the Abe Wells house.
Date: About 1830.
Owners: George (Jackie) Hunsucker acquired
this land before the organization of Wise County. He sold to his son-in-law
Anderson Wells, May 1, 1874. Anderson Wells sold to Abe C. Wells, March
20, 1879. A. C. Wells sold to Nelson Hamilton, August 4, 1882. Nelson Hamilton's
heirs resold to A. C. Wells, December 6,
Description: The exact site of the George Hunsucker house was at the spring at the Abe Wells' place. It was a two story log house of two rooms. Stone, mud daubed chimney. Two batten doors and no windows. Board roof. The house did not have a porch. Steps led up to the front door. During the War, Anderson Wells lived in this house and George Hunsucker had built a one room, one story unhewn log house about 400 yards from this house where he and his wife lived. Both these houses have been torn down and nothing is left to mark their location.
Historical Significance: George (better known
as Jackie) Hunsucker was born in Burch Co., NC, in 1793, a son of John
and Mindy Hunsucker. He was first married before he came to the present
bounds of Wise County and his second wife was Sarah Wampler Rogers, a daughter
of George and Barbara Wampler. He was eighty and she fifty-two years of
age at their marriage in 1873. He was the first of the Hunsucker generation
in Wise County. To the first union were born four sons and three daughters:
James who married Loucinda Huff; Jonathan who married Martha Dean; John
married Tabitha Whitlow and Archibald married Loudemia Baker. Sally married
Dr. Anderson Wells; Patience married Loranza D. Huff and Margaret (Peggy)
married Archibald Ison.
Source of Information: J. M. Hill, J. E. Lipps,
J. H. Kilgore and Court Records.
Archibald Hunsucker Home
Location: On the north east bank and near the head of Powell River, about 2 miles from the Birch Spring (the headwaters of Powell River). One mile beyond the William Robinett place.
Date: About 1850.
Owners: Arch Hunsucker bought before the formation of Wise County. The Virginia Coal and Iron Company bought the land and still own it.
Description: The house was a one room, one
story log house. Stone chimney at the northwest end. The house had no porch,
only steps leading up to the door. The house had one batten door and no
windows. Puncheon floor. The house faced toward the river in a southwest
Historical Significance: Arch Hunsucker was the youngest son of George (Jackie) Hunsucker and was married to Loudemia Baker. Besides being a miller he was a farmer.
Source of Information: J. M. Hill, J. E. Lipps,
Frank Gardner and Court Records.
James Hunsucker Settlement
Location: On west side of road leading up Guest River in the bottom just above Starne's Bridge.
Owners: The land upon which the James Hunsucker house was located was acquired by him before the County of Wise was formed. He had taken patents on other tracts though as early as 1836 in the same vicinity as his home. The land, after his death, was acquired by the Virginia Coal and Iron Company who still own it.
Description: The house was a two story hewn
log building of two rooms one on each floor. Stone chimney, mud daubed
at the east end. Clapboard roof. Two batten doors, one at the front and
one at the back. No windows. The flooring of the second floor was laid
of rough plank and was not nailed. It formed the ceiling overhead for the
first room. The house had no porch, steps lead up to the door. Around the
house at one time were some very fine sugar maple trees. In front of the
house was an arched gate. The posts were unusually high, about ten feet
and an arch was built from post to post.
Source of Information: Dr. J. M. Hill, Frank
Gardner, J. E. Lipps and Court Records.
Jonathan Hunsucker Home
Location: At the upper end of the Southerland Coal Company Coke Ovens on west side of the road leading from Dorchester up Powell River.
Owners: Land patented to Jonathan Hunsucker by the Commonwealth in 1852. His heirs sold to the Dorchester Coal Company who still own the land.
Description: The Jonathan Hunsucker house
was a one room, hewn log building about 16 x 18 feet. Board roof, no ceiling
overhead, puncheon floor. Porch across the front, stone chimney at end.
The house had no windows and one batten door. Soon after the war the sons
of Hunsucker built a new house across the river from
Historical Significance: Jonathan Hunsucker
was a son of George Hunsucker and was born in Buch Co., NC in 1822. He
was married to Martha Dean, a daughter of Andrew Dean of Scott County and
a sister to William H. Dean, Esq. late of the county of Wise. To this union
were born children: Henry, married Roas Jones;
Source of Information: Frank Gardner, J. M. Hill, N. J. Steele and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.