Andrew J. Dotson Settlement
house on route US 23 at Esserville was built about
1840 or before. It was
originally a rectangular log building, two story,
two rooms upstairs and
two down. These rooms are separated in the center by
a stone chimney about
six feet wide. On the west side of the chimney the
six foot wide space
is utilized as a closet, and the east side has a
stairway leading up to
the second story from the porch. The original four
rooms are about 18 by
20 feet. The house is made of hewn yellow poplar
logs, dobbed and chinked.
This place was first owned by Andrew Jackson Dotson. James F. Wells acquired it before the Civil War and it stayed in the Wells Family possession till about eight years ago. Then it was sold to Lee Kilgore another descendant of James F. Wells and Kilgore sold to Harley Clark.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.