Location: On the north side of the road leading from Norton through Powell Valley. Opposite and just south of the "N____Head" Rock, near the Fraley home in Hoot Owl Hollow.
Date: About 1851.
Owners: Jones did not own this land and it was probably located on the land patented to William Huff in 1803. The land is now owned by Ed Fraley.
Description: The carding machine was in a
two story log house, covered with a clapboard roof. The machinery of the
mill was on the first floor. It was run on the order of the water mills,
a race carrying water which poured onto a wheel and turned the machinery.
The machinery worked with rollers. The wool was carded and came out in
rolls about a yard or more in length. After the wool was carded here it
was ready to take home and make into thread. The wool was fed into a hopper
something like a mill hopper. A typical way of carrying the wool
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.