Collection of Relics
Dr. J. M. Hill Collection
The foregoing is
a brief write-up of a collection of relics, belonging to Dr. J. M. Hill
of Wise, VA, that may be found in his office. Among this collection is
to be found various Indian Relics, old guns and petrified potatoes as well
as skeletons. Each of the articles he has numbered and the foregoing is
a write-up of the more important ones.
Indian pipe found
in a deserted Indian village near Mossy Rock, Washington. It is made like
a tomahawk of a deep red stone.
Skinning knife made
of a black stone.
Indian Relic: an
instrument assumed for catching fire. It is made of black granite, in the
shape of a new or crescent moon, with a hold the size of a lead pencil
through the center. A stick was inserted in the hole, with a raw hide
bow attached and by sawing another stick
across this it caused friction and thus the fire was started. The stone
weighs about one half pound and was found in North Carolina.
Indian Celt: a stone
about eight inches long and about three inches wide at the cutting point.
Weight about two and half pounds. Made and polished from gray, bastard
limestone. Was found near the Beaver Dam, on Guest River, Wise Co.
Large tomahawk weight
about four pounds. Made of bastard limestone and was found in the Crackers
Neck section, near East Stone Gap, Wise County. Among his collection is
various other tomahawks of smaller size.
Skinning knife made
of a very hard rusty brown colored stone, about fourteen inches long, four
inches wide in the middle, tapering to a sharp point at each end. Weight
six or seven pounds. Found in Powell Valley at the Country Club.
found near the Beaver Dam, on Guest River, Wise Co., VA. It has a rather
long slim blade, with a deep groove around the top for attaching handle.
Weight about two pounds.
Among this collection
is another tomahawk weighing about thirty pounds and also an Indian Pipe
found near Skeet Rock, Dickenson Co., VA.
Perhaps the most
interesting relic in this collection is a charger used by the Indian Medicine
man to measure his medicine. It is a walnut colored stone, about three
inches long and would hold probably two ounces. About two and half inches
in circumference and has two rings cut around it. Was found by Berry Collins
on top of Indian Mountain, Wise Co., VA.
Petrified Hill of
Irish Potatoes, twelve in number. Found on the bank of Clinch River, near
Dungannon, Scott Co., VA.
Mad Stone, found
in the stomach of a cow. Four inches in circumference, two inches in diameter
and weighs about three fourths of a pound. An old legendary saying about
the Mad Stone is that it is a sure remedy for snake bite and hydrophobia.
thing is a hand spinning wheel. This wheel was fastened to the table or
bench by a screw after the fashion of a food chopper. It has neither cog
wheels nor band but runs by friction. The master wheel is twelve inches
in diameter and the wheel has three smaller wheels attached to the spindle.
Wheels of this type were used by pioneer women for spinning yarn. This
wheel came from the mountains of Kentucky and is 110 years old.
Four Bladed Razor
used by the Jewish Rabbis to comply with the circumcision laws of Moses,
when a child became the age of eight days. This relic was taken from a
pawnshop and the identity confirmed by a Jewish Rabbi as to the originality
of it. It is perhaps over two thousand years old.
Another is a skeleton
of a bird intact from toe nail to wing and tail feathers. Was found between
overhead ceiling of the first floor of an old home on the Pound, Wise Co.,
Pestler used by
the Indians for grinding corn in a mortar. Was found in the Crackers Neck
section of Wise Co.
Wooden Spoon made
of coarse grain chestnut, handle eighteen inches. Long spoon six inches
long by three and a half inches wide. These spoons were used by the early
settlers of this county instead of metal spoons. Large spoons of this type
were used for making mush or to render lard in large kettles.
He also has a greenback
bill for 25 cents. These were used after the Civil War. This one is the
series of 1874, Act of March 3, 1863. It has Robert J. Walker's picture
on it. He was Secretary-Treasurer 1845.
Hog Rifle, type
used by early settlers. This one was formerly owned by a Mr. Johnson in
the Birchfield Section and is 110 years old. This is the cap lock type
of gun with a barrel length of 43 « inches.
Lehman Rifle, made
in or prior to 1880.
Flint Lock rifle
this gun was the same type that was used by David Crockett and Daniel Boone.
It has been in the possession of Dr. Hill for 30 years.
Cap Lock, large
caliber, short barrel. This type of gun was used as a bear gun by the early
Muzzle Loading Shotgun,
old and badly worn, origin unknown.
U. S. Rifle used
in the Pan American War. Carried over from Florida and used in the first
Carbine used in
the Civil War. Barrel 22 « inches long. Caliber same size as Civil
War musket, britch loader, used cushion caps same as the musket.
britch loader, barrel 22 inches long, with magazine five cartridge capacity.
Owned and used by Linkhorn Blevins in Civil War in and around Gladeville
He has seventeen
pistols in his collection. Very old, some using cartridge and some cap
and ball. One a 32-5 shot, center fire. Found near Pound Gap where Dr.
Taylor and the Fleming Brothers was said to have lain in wait and killed
a team and five people. Another a 32 center fire, using Smith and Wesson
Cartridge, one shot, called Clevis Pin pistol. It was held in the hand
and the barrel extending out between the fingers. Three and one half inches
long with a knob at the rear.
One bayonet that
was used at the Pound Gap, Wise Co., VA during the Civil War.
One sabre, 44 inches
long with brass hand guard, in sheath with two rings with strap attached
thereto for carrying. Used in Civil War.
One bayonet found
in a field near Appamattox where General Lee surrendered.
One Officers German
Helmet, captured in dugout while the Officers were eating their breakfast.
Taken by V. O. Hill during the World War.
One pair old fashioned
Stillyards. Has two hooks, beam and pea. Weight drawing capacity 50 pounds.