Location: 100 yards south of the Norton Ice
plant on the east side of the road leading from Norton to the
Date: Approximately 1850
Owners: Granted by the Commonwealth in 1786
to Harry L. Smith. Smith sold to Dale Carter before the organization of
Wise County. Dale Carter sold to John Frazier. Alexander Walcott laid a
patent on this land in 1795 and got his patent on record before Harry L.
Smith. Patrick Hagan got a claim to this land
Description: The John Frazier house was a two room, unhewn pole house, chinked and daubed with clay. The house had wooden shutters for windows and a very rough batten door. Clapboard roof. Stone chimney with a large fireplace and the room that had the fireplace served as a living room, dining room, kitchen and also a bed room. The house was floored with very rough puncheons.
Historical Significance: John Frazier was
the first man to settle at the present site of the town of Norton. He was
married to Lydia Drusilla Samantha Matilda Salyers, a daughter of Squire
Samuel Salyers. Their daughter, Mrs. Martha Beverly, who still lives near
the old home place was the first child born at Prince's Flats (Norton)
Sources of Information: Mrs. Martha Beverly, J. H. Kilgore and Court Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.