Location: Near the John Stallard place on Birchfield Road about 300 yards on a by-road that heads up here and on the left side of the by-road.
Owners: John Gilliam bought a very large tract of land around this place about 1840. It is said that he paid for it with a rifle gun. The land that this house stood on is now owned by Kelly and Vicars.
Description: The house here, or that formerly stood here, was a one story log house with a lean-to kitchen. Puncheon floors and board roof. Stone and daubed chimney on the west end. The house also was chinked and mud daubed and faced eastward toward the road.
Historical Significance: John
this house and lived here until the Civil War. He
was in sympathy with
the Federalists and left Wise County about the
beginning of the war and
moved to Louisa, KY and served
a son of Richard and Judy Gilliam of Scott County,
born 1804, died September
27, 1898. His parents were of Scotch Irish
extraction and his father fought
in the battle of King's Mountain during the
Revolution. He fought under
Campbell in this battle. John Gilliam emigrated from
Scott County in 1842
Source of Information: J. E. Lipps, C. A. Johnson, J. T. Adams and Court and War Records.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.