The John Huff House and
Location: In the head of Powell Valley near
Little Stone Gap and on the north side of the road leading through Powell
Date: 1825 or before
Owners: John Huff acquired this land while
that part of the present Wise Co. was yet embraced in the bounds of Scott
Co., VA. His brother, William Huff, had a patent for land adjoining this
land dated 1803.
John Huff died intestate
and his heirs sold to James Bolton and wife Elizabeth.
James Bolton, etux
sold to Charles Collier, February 19, 1887 and the land is still the Charles
Description: The John Huff house was a small
one room, hewn log cabin, with a lean-to kitchen, mud daubed. Board roof
and puncheon floor. The only distinction of the John Huff house was that
it had a brick chimney.
The brick were evidently locally burned but
the place they were burned is not known.
Nearby the home
was a small grist mill. The mill was in a one room, one story, log house
with a clapboard roof. The mill was run by an overshot waterwheel turned
by the water that leaps down the steep precipice from the Little Stone
Huff was running
this mill as early as 1830. After he quit running the mill Jack Gilley
ran it for awhile.
Then James Bolton bought the Huff property
and built a new house over the mill, on the same architectural design as
the first. The mill was built up near the foot of the mountain and the
lower end of the mill house was built up on stilts, high off the ground.
The water for running the mill was caught in a dam made of rock just above
the mill. This was solely a corn grist mill.
History: John Huff was a very early settler
at this place. His brother Preacher William Huff, had a patent for a tract
of 100 acres of land near the Little Stone Gap, Scott Co., VA, dated 1803.
The John Huff tract also was
a 100 acre tract and may have have been the
same, so it is pretty evident that the two brothers were here as early
John Huff was dead
prior to 1857, Will Book 1, where Elizabeth, wife of John Huff, decd. Received
her dowry in the property.
John Huff and Elizabeth
 John Huff, Jr.;
 Leannah Huff;  Sarah Huff, who m. a Smith;  Elizabeth Huff, b.
October 17, 1856, d. December 1, 1909, m. James Bolton. Perhaps other
John Huff joined
the Three Forks Primitive Baptist Church, January, 1830 and his wife was
received into the church by letter, sometime later.
He acted in the
capacity of Clerk for the church from October, 1844 until may, 1852. Was
Pastor of the church from July 1851 until March 1853. Again from February
1855 until February 1857. At the formation of the Little Stone Gap Church,
May 8, 1852, John Huff was chosen as Pastor and he and his wife (Betsy)
Elizabeth were two of the eight members.
James Bolton was
a native of Scott Co. and married Elizabeth a daughter of John Huff. To
this union was born children:
 Molly Bolton,
m. William, a son of John Hamilton;  Robert Bolton, m. Nettie, a daughter
of Patton Nickels and was killed in a coal mine at Sutherland, Wise Co.,
VA.;  Charles Bolton went to Texas and settled there;  Clint Bolton
went to Texas and settled there;  Hansford Bolton went to Texas and
Informants: A. Collier,
Emma Ison, J. T. Hamilton, O. B. Gilley and Court Records.