Nicholas Horne, Sr. Settlement
Location: First house was on the south side
of Route 64 about 2 miles west of the town of Coeburn. Second house on
north side of Route 64, 2 miles west of the town of Coeburn.
Date: First house 1821. Second about 1850.
Owners: Nicholas Horne, Sr., had some kind
of a claim before the county was organized, perhaps a squatter's claim.
At the sale of the State mortgaged land in 1853, Nicholas Horne, Sr., became
the purchaser of this land and at the resale of this land he again became
the purchaser on December 1, 1876. At his death the land went to his heirs
and they sold to the Clinchfield Coal Company who still own the land.
Description: The first house was a small log
house built in or about 1824 by Nicholas Horne, Sr., It was just a one
room affair and was located across the road and just south of the present
old Horne House. About 1850
Nicholas Horne, Sr., built a new house above
the road just north of this first one. At that time it was the best house
in the whole surrounding community. It is a two story L shaped log house,
weather-boarded with yellow poplar weatherboarding. The logs were hewed
and the weatherboard was put on several years later. Two rooms on each
floor in the main front and on in the "L". At the west end is a large stone
chimney and the stone have
the appearance of being polished, very smooth
and even. The interior work is of yellow poplar wood and in a good state
of preservation. The flooring and ceiling is about eight inches in width
and part of the wall ceiling is put on in a perpendicular manner. The ceilings
are very low. Two flight stairway leading up from the east room with narrow
boxed up sides. Artistic handmade mantel of yellow poplar wood, with narrow
strips worked in giving it the appearance of paneling. The mantel
is very odd, being wider at places and giving it the
appearance of wide saw teeth. Twelve panes-type
windows and handmade paneled doors. The kitchen part has a wide porch across
the west side and the front has a two story porch across the length of
the house with small
square columns. The house is on a knoll above
route 64 overlooking Guest River. The lawn slopes south and one very fine
old oak tree shades the west side of the lawn.
Historical Significance: Nicholas Horn, Sr.,
was born in Russell County, near Castlewood November 8, 1798. He came to
the Guest River section of Wise County at the age of 23 years. Here he
reared his family, died and
was buried in the old Horne cemetery near
the home place. September 18, 1823 he married Nancy Donahue who was born
May 11, 1798. To this union were born nine sons and five daughters all
of whom grew to maturity. All nine of those sturdy pioneer boys left their
home and joined the Confederacy to fight for the land of their birth. High
tribute should be paid to the nine brothers giving their best to the cause
that seemed as right to them as the rising and setting of the sun that
daily shone on the land of their birth - the Confederate southland.
The first of these
sons, Jessee, was born September 5, 1825, was a member of Company H, 50
Virginia Volunteers, was never married and gave his life for the "Gary"
at the battle of Fort Donelson, Kentucky.
Dr. John P. Horn
was born September 17, 1827. Married Virginia, a daughter of Freeman and
Unicy Beverly. After returning from the war he led an active life as a
medical doctor and politician. He qualified as a Justice of the Peace,
September, 1865. As supervisor of Gladeville township, June 1870 and again
as Justice of the peace in June 1881 and 1883.
Samuel P. Horn,
born December 5, 1831 married Lydia Hall.
Charles Wesley Horn,
born February 5, 1831.
Henry Horn born
February 8, 1832, married Abba Stidham.
Stephen Horn, born
April 5, 1833 married Linda Bond.
Nicholas Horn, Jr.,
born February 12, 1839, married _____ Fugate.
Thomas Horn, born
1841, married _____ Fugate.
Dr. John P. Horn Home
Location: On the north side of Guest River
and on the south side of Route 64 leading from Norton to Coeburn, about
two miles west of Tacoma.
Date: About 1850.
Owners: John P. Horn and Virginia Coal and
Description: Small hewn log building, very
low, one small window in front and a batten door. Chimney at the west end.
Nearby was built another small log building that was also used as part
of the house. Both were covered with boards and rough plank floors.
The house is torn down but the old chimney
rocks still remain.
History: Dr. John P. Horn was a son of Nicholas
and Nancy Donohue Horn who settled near this place about 1821. He was born
September 17, 1872 and was married to Virginia, a daughter of Freeman and
Unicy Ramsey Beverly. He was a Confederate soldier and served through the
Civil War. A fact remarkable to note
was that John Horn and eight of his brothers
were in the Confederate Army during the War. He was an early pioneer doctor
and was quite a politician for his day, holding various political offices
in Wise County. Dr. Horn was one of the doctors called to hold an inquest
over Alexander Carrico, the first man ever murdered in Wise County (July
Source of Information: H. I. Horne, Molly
Fraley, Court Records
and collected notes.