The Nash House
Location: Five miles east of Wise on the Guests
Date: About 1850.
Owner: Present owner Mrs. Trigg Nash.
Description: Hewn logs. 18 x 20. Window in
south and east sides. Ordinary 12 light windows. One door in south side
facing road. Not ceiled or weatherboarded. Joists of whipsawed lumber.
Roof of clapboards.
Original roof still in use.
History: In 1835, Rev. Reuben Steele came
from the Pattonsville section of Scott County and settled here. His wife
died in 1837 and is buried here, the first grave to be made on Guests Mountain,
except the two graves just south of the Nash house, which has been described
in another article.
Steele sold this
land to William Nash, about 1838, who gave it to his son Wickliff Nash
who settled on it. It has been in the family since that time, Wickliff
leaving it to his son Trigg, who died in 1936, leaving it to his widow.
The house was built about 1850, by Wickliff Nash.
Sources of Information: Taylor Nash, Mrs.
Trigg Nash and William Collins.
Reuben Steele Settlement
Location: On the north side of road leading
from Wise to Coeburn over Guest Mountain and about one mile east of the
Mountain View School house.
Date: 1830 or before.
Owners: Reuben Steele lived here long before
the County was organized and sold to William Nash, of Nash's Mill in Scott
County before the organization of Wise County. William Nash gave the place
to his son Wickliff H. Nash and it is still in possession of W. H. Nash's
Description: The Reuben Steele house was a
one room, hewn log house with a kitchen built to the back. The house faced
south and toward the old Pound Gap Road. Clapboard roof, puncheon floors
and a stone chimney at the east end. This house was torn down soon after
the Civil War. The present house was built
there around the seventies. It is a good
example of the early architecture in the mountain counties. Four room log,
weatherboarded, with a shingle roof. Some large and very fine trees still
stand on the lawn at the front of this house. The site of the original
house can be located by the old chimney rocks just back of the
Historical Significance: In the early part
of the Civil War a man stood in the front door of this place while a severe
electric storm was brewing and was killed by lightning. This place was
located on an animal trail between the Stone Mountain and the Cumberlands
in Dickenson County and in the early days when animals
were plentiful they would pass by this place
in great numbers and many were the panther screams and growls of the grizzly
heard by the first settlers of this place. A strip of land and a creek
heading up near this place still bear the name of Steel's Fork, in honor
of the first settler here.
Kennedy Tipton lived at
this place during the early part of the Civil War. He was only a renter
and was not very well liked by the people. He was considered a thief. Audley
maxwell lived here as a renter at the latter part of the war.
Reuben Steele was
perhaps the first Methodist preacher in the present bounds of Wise County.
He was a sort of Billy Sunday Evangelist. He settled at the foregoing described
place about 1830. He was born in Wythe County, VA, September 29, 1802,
died August 20, 1876. When a young child his father moved to Whitley Co.,
KY and there he grew to manhood. After grown he returned to Virginia and
spent his life in Russell, Lee, Wise and Scott Counties.
His conversion grew
out of a promise to his dying father that he would meet him in Heaven.
He was first given license to preach as Methodist in 1836. His first Ministerial
work was done along the Kentucky border in 1837. He formed a number of
societies that he later formed into a mission, that was
served by him in 1838, under direction of
Thomas K. Catlett, presiding Elder. In 1839 he traveled the Clinch River
Mission. Made a Junior Preacher in 1840, in Greenville Circuit under G.
F. Payne. Admitted into Holston Conference in 1841. After Circuit Riding
for three years he located, the condition of his family
being so that he couldn't get far away. Ordained
a Deacon in Knoxville, TN, October 9, 1842 by Bishop Waugh. During this
time he was instrumental in the conversion of 7000 souls and 8000 accessions
church. He was Chaplain of the 64th Regiment
during the Civil War. His funeral was preached by Rev. John Boring in 1876.
His first wife died at the old place on Coeburn Mountain in 1837; and left
five children. He married the second time September 9, 1841 to Elizabeth,
a daughter of Rev. Isaac and Sarah
Forkner and to this union was born ten children.
Five children were born to the first union. His first wife was Nancy Elizabeth
Newberry, a daughter of Samuel and Eunice Powers Newberry. They were married
June 7, 1827.
Source of Information: James T. Adams, C.
A. Johnson, J. E. Lipps, Court Records and History of Scott County.