O. B. Gilley House
The O. B. Gilley
house on Spring Street in Wise was built during the early eighteen eighties.
It is a two story "L" shaped, frame building with plain unbeaded weatherboarding.
The front entrances to the house are
the three paneled, painted doors with side
lights and transoms both upstairs and down. The doors have the common type
of hinge made of iron and outside locks of iron. The flooring of this house
is about six inches wide and uniform. The house is ceiled with the same
material as the flooring. All interior wood work is of yellow poplar. Both
interior and exterior cornices are of wood.
Windows have twelve
panes each. Size of each pane is 8 x 10 inches.
Front porch two
stories high, at center of house, about 8 x 8 feet. Plain wooden columns.
One flight stairway, closed string type, balusters and newels are square
and of plain poplar wood, square handrail of same material.
The house has two
chimneys, two story high at the east and west and of the front part of
the house. The brick work of these chimneys is the common bond type. It
has the gable type roof with composition covering.
Judge Miller had
this house started and later sold to Judge Tazewell Wells who had it completed.
Wilson Owens was the carpenter who had the
contract to build it. It was started and completed between 1881 and 1887.