Samuel Salyers Settlement
Location: On the back side of the Court House
Public Square and near the creek.
Date: Approximately 1840.
Owners: Salyers acquired the land before the
formation of Wise County and he perhaps sold to Daniel Ramey. At the sale
of the mortgaged DeTebeuf land Ramey became the purchaser on November 21,
Ramey donated the land to the County of Wise
for a Public Square in 1856 and at the resale of this land, George W. Kilgore
deeded the forementioned to the County, August 1st 1876.
Description: The Salyers house was a two room
log, built like two pens and joined together end wise. One of the pen like
rooms was larger than the other. The largest of these rooms had a fireplace.
The floors were laid
of puncheons. After Salyers moved away from
this place it was used as a school house. When school was started here
benches were installed. These benches were made of split puncheons with
wooden legs driven into
the underside. School was started here about
1857. Heretofore, school had been taught in the Baptist Church and after
it was burned in the fall of 1856, the school was moved to this building.
Miss Rebecca Miller was teaching here in 1858 and Miss Alpha Slemp, sister
of Col. Bascom Slemp taught here in 1859. Enoch Moore, who later became
an Elder in the Methodist Church, was teaching school when the old church
house burned and he probably finished his term at this house.
Historical Significance: Samuel Salyers, the
noted "Squire" of Wise County, died about 1914 at the age of 107 years.
Was a Confederate soldier and was first Sergeant in Company H, 50th Virginia
Volunteers. His son
Logan H. N. Salyer, on June 3, 1861, organized
a Company of 101 men at the Gladeville Court House and marched them to
Wytheville where they were organized into a regiment and placed under General
J. B. Floyd,
and fought all through the Civil War.
When they organized at Gladeville Court House they called themselves the
"Yankee Catchers." Logan H. N. Salyers was elected Captain of this company
and before the end of the
War he had reached the rank of Colonel. He
was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville and lay on top of the piano
in the Chancellor House one day and night. His father Samuel Salyer was
elected First Sergeant of
this Company, but became ill at White Sulphur
Springs and was sent home by the Company Surgeon. James and Tyree D. sons
of Samuel Salyer were also members of this Company, also Shanklin Salyers.
James enlisted at the Gladeville Courthouse;
Shanklin as 2nd Lieutenant and James as a Private. James Salyers was discharged
from this Company at the Gladeville Courthouse, but was transferred to
this Company from
Camp Jackson, July 25, 1861.
L. H. N. Salyer
was born May 31, 1835, lived near Nickelsville, VA, died Whitesburg, KY,
May 3, 1916.
Source of Information: J. E. Lipps, C. A.
Johnson and Court Records. October 25, 1937.