Harvey C. Bruce Settlement
Location: One mile southeast of Tacoma, on south side of Highway 64 on hill south of and overlooking Guest River.
Date: Built about 1840
Owners: Harvey C. Bruce bought
and built before
the County of Wise was organized. He resided here
until 1891. He sold the
place to William E. Harris, Trustee, April 21, 1890,
but retained possession
until April 1,
Description: The old Bruce house
is a two
story, three room hewn log, "ell" shaped building.
Stone chimney, mud dobbed
at the west end with fireplace only on the first
floor. Also stone chimney
at the rear or south end of kitchen upon which the
cooking was done in
earlier days. One six pane window in the center of
upper story room, one
twelve pane window on first floor in front. Entrance
door two panel, handmade
of yellow poplar,
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.