William J. Bond Home
Location: West side of U. S. Rt. 23, 1 mile west of the court house.

Date: 1850 or before

Owners: John Bond bought this place at the sale of the mortgaged land November 21, 1853. The land had been in the possession of John Bond as early as about 1840. At this sale there was no provision made for deeds and it is thought that John Bond sold to William Bond and he sold to Morgan T. Lipps, but since
there was no provision for deeds, none of these deeds or conveyances are on record. Many of these sales were made by title bonds. At the resale of the mortgaged land, Tazewell G. Wells became the purchaser of this land October 12, 1878. He sold to J. Cass Richmond, February 6, 1889 and Richmond sold to the Ayers Coal Company, June 10, 1902. This Coal Company still has possession of this place except that the company has changed names several times since this transaction.

Description: Several additions have been made to this house, making it now "L" shaped with six rooms. The original part of this house was a three room, hewn log, one room on each floor to the front and a kitchen at the rear. Center stone chimney between the front and the kitchen part. The ceilings are very low
and the original part of the house is floored with yellow poplar type. Twelve pane type windows. Two story porch at the center front. This porch was built later than the original part of the house. The front entrance is a four panel door with sidelights and transom. The house is weather boarded and now has a composition roof.

Historical Significance: William J. Bond was a Medical Doctor by occupation and was a son of Charles Franklin Bond of Scott Co., VA, and a brother to Charles F. Bond who was the first Superintendent of Schools for Wise County. He was married to Rebecca Elam. He was an early Clerk of the Big Glades
Baptist Church and was relieved from this office January 1866, due to being a Doctor and that his practice too often called him away from his church duties. William J. Bond had two sons: Stephen P. who was a school teacher and first married a Hoskins and later Ellen Smith. William E. who married Caroline Lipps. Both of these sons were Confederate Soldiers. William E. was a member of Company H, 50th Virginia Volunteers and enlisted under Captain (Logan H. N.) Salyers at the Gladeville Courthouse, June 3, 1861 and was detailed as Waggoner of his company July 25, 1861. He was, at that time, 22 years of age. The
Bond family moved to Kentucky soon after the Civil War.
     Morgan T. Lipps moved to this place after he was elected the First Clerk of Wise County and was residing here during the Civil War, when the Union Forces made their raid on the town of Gladeville and burned the Court House. Mr. Lipps, at that time being Clerk of the County, was taken a prisoner and
carried away to Kentucky and there placed in prison. John Gilliam who lived in the Hurricane section of Wise County, was a Unionist and was with this raiding party. He was also a brother to Mr. Lipps in the Church and before they took Mr. Lipps away, Mrs. Lipps had extracted a promise from Gilliam that he
would see to it that no harm befell her husband. At the prison it was soon made known that Uncle Morgan was a preacher and the Captain of the Guard invited him to preach. "I don't cast pearls before the swine", was Mr. Lipps' immediate reply. The Captain, it is said, went away very much exasperated and it was
some little time before he again invited the prisoner  to preach. However, the next invitation was received by Mr. Lipps and he was led out to preach to the soldiers and prisoners. It is said that the Captain sat back of the men on a barrel and during the sermon seemed very touched, sat with his head resting on his hands. At length the sermon was finished and Uncle Morgan again was reprimanded to prison. Not very long after this, the Captain came to the prison and told Uncle Morgan that he was free to return to his home in

Source of Information: J. E. Lipps and Court Records.

The William Bond House Addition
     The following information was furnished by Attorney H. I. Horne of Norton, after investigation of the history of his grandfather's (William Bond) home on Rocky Fork of Guest River, one mile north of Big Laurel. This date was furnished by older living relatives, not heretofore interviewed.
Additional Information: The back wing (kitchen) was built in 1849, Mr. H. I. Horne says. He knows, because it was built when his mother was 2 years old, and she was born May 1, 1847, and died March 5, 1925. The building as originally constructed, had a porch on front, the roof of which extended out about ten feet from the wall where the joists show in the wall of the house. Each end of the porch was weatherboarded with hand sawn lumber down the wall to where the joists show, and up from the floor to about even with the bottom of the windows. The entire building was floored with yellow poplar lumber, up and down stairs; the joists were of yellow poplar, likewise the weatherboarding in gables. This lumber was all whipsawed at the "Old Gate" near the spring. It was also cealed with yellow poplar lumber. 
 The doors were very wide, about a foot wider than an average door today. The cracks were chinked and daubed with clay and the whole then covered (or painted) with a white clay found in a hollow across Rocky Fork from the house.
     The kitchen and the cording, spinning and weaving room, was north of the main house. The weaving room was torn away about 50 years ago. The spring house was just north of the house and of the smokehouse.
     The main chimney to the Big House was of brick. The brick was made right on the ground. The big house was built by Rev. William Booth and the kitchen by Jackson Bond, a brother to William (some say it was George) assisted by William Bond III, son of William and another son, Isaac Marion Bond, who died in
the Confederate Army.
     William Bond kept his money hid under the kitchen floor during the Civil War. He kept his gold in a yellow box about 16 inches long and 5 inches wide, and the coins in a buckskin bag. The silver was kept in a large collander.
     When Bond heard the Union soldiers had taken Pound Gap and were moving on Gladeville, a part of the money, with some chinaware, was moved to a hiding place in a cliff up the stream about a quarter of a mile, and some of the bedding. In depositing them hastily under the cliffs, some of the dishes were broken and pieces may be found there until this day. Some of the money was left in the collander and the rest buried in the ground
just above (west) of the graveyard.

  Return to Wise
Return to Articles

Copyright Notice
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.