William J. Bond Home
Location: West side of U. S. Rt. 23, 1 mile
west of the court house.
Date: 1850 or before
Owners: John Bond bought this place at the
sale of the mortgaged land November 21, 1853. The land had been in the
possession of John Bond as early as about 1840. At this sale there was
no provision made for deeds and it is thought that John Bond sold to William
Bond and he sold to Morgan T. Lipps, but since
there was no provision for deeds, none of
these deeds or conveyances are on record. Many of these sales were made
by title bonds. At the resale of the mortgaged land, Tazewell G. Wells
became the purchaser of this land October 12, 1878. He sold to J. Cass
Richmond, February 6, 1889 and Richmond sold to the Ayers Coal Company,
June 10, 1902. This Coal Company still has possession of this place except
that the company has changed names several times since this transaction.
Description: Several additions have been made
to this house, making it now "L" shaped with six rooms. The original part
of this house was a three room, hewn log, one room on each floor to the
front and a kitchen at the rear. Center stone chimney between the front
and the kitchen part. The ceilings are very low
and the original part of the house is floored
with yellow poplar type. Twelve pane type windows. Two story porch at the
center front. This porch was built later than the original part of the
house. The front entrance is a four panel door with sidelights and transom.
The house is weather boarded and now has a composition roof.
Historical Significance: William J. Bond was
a Medical Doctor by occupation and was a son of Charles Franklin Bond of
Scott Co., VA, and a brother to Charles F. Bond who was the first Superintendent
of Schools for Wise County. He was married to Rebecca Elam. He was an early
Clerk of the Big Glades
Baptist Church and was relieved from this
office January 1866, due to being a Doctor and that his practice too often
called him away from his church duties. William J. Bond had two sons: Stephen
P. who was a school teacher and first married a Hoskins and later Ellen
Smith. William E. who married Caroline Lipps. Both of these sons were Confederate
Soldiers. William E. was a member of Company H, 50th Virginia Volunteers
and enlisted under Captain (Logan H. N.) Salyers at the Gladeville Courthouse,
June 3, 1861 and was detailed as Waggoner of his company July 25, 1861.
He was, at that time, 22 years of age. The
Bond family moved to Kentucky soon after
the Civil War.
Morgan T. Lipps
moved to this place after he was elected the First Clerk of Wise County
and was residing here during the Civil War, when the Union Forces made
their raid on the town of Gladeville and burned the Court House. Mr. Lipps,
at that time being Clerk of the County, was taken a prisoner and
carried away to Kentucky and there placed
in prison. John Gilliam who lived in the Hurricane section of Wise County,
was a Unionist and was with this raiding party. He was also a brother to
Mr. Lipps in the Church and before they took Mr. Lipps away, Mrs. Lipps
had extracted a promise from Gilliam that he
would see to it that no harm befell her husband.
At the prison it was soon made known that Uncle Morgan was a preacher and
the Captain of the Guard invited him to preach. "I don't cast pearls before
the swine", was Mr. Lipps' immediate reply. The Captain, it is said, went
away very much exasperated and it was
some little time before he again invited
the prisoner to preach. However, the next invitation was received
by Mr. Lipps and he was led out to preach to the soldiers and prisoners.
It is said that the Captain sat back of the men on a barrel and during
the sermon seemed very touched, sat with his head resting on his hands.
At length the sermon was finished and Uncle Morgan again was reprimanded
to prison. Not very long after this, the Captain came to the prison and
told Uncle Morgan that he was free to return to his home in
Source of Information: J. E. Lipps and Court
The William Bond House Addition
The following information
was furnished by Attorney H. I. Horne of Norton, after investigation of
the history of his grandfather's (William Bond) home on Rocky Fork of Guest
River, one mile north of Big Laurel. This date was furnished by older living
relatives, not heretofore interviewed.
Additional Information: The back wing (kitchen)
was built in 1849, Mr. H. I. Horne says. He knows, because it was built
when his mother was 2 years old, and she was born May 1, 1847, and died
March 5, 1925. The building as originally constructed, had a porch on front,
the roof of which extended out about ten feet from the wall where the joists
show in the wall of the house. Each end of the porch was weatherboarded
with hand sawn lumber down the wall to where the joists show, and up from
the floor to about even with the bottom of the windows. The entire building
was floored with yellow poplar lumber, up and down stairs; the joists were
of yellow poplar, likewise the weatherboarding in gables. This lumber was
all whipsawed at the "Old Gate" near the spring. It was also cealed with
yellow poplar lumber.
The doors were very wide, about a foot
wider than an average door today. The cracks were chinked and daubed with
clay and the whole then covered (or painted) with a white clay found in
a hollow across Rocky Fork from the house.
The kitchen and
the cording, spinning and weaving room, was north of the main house. The
weaving room was torn away about 50 years ago. The spring house was just
north of the house and of the smokehouse.
The main chimney
to the Big House was of brick. The brick was made right on the ground.
The big house was built by Rev. William Booth and the kitchen by Jackson
Bond, a brother to William (some say it was George) assisted by William
Bond III, son of William and another son, Isaac Marion Bond, who died in
the Confederate Army.
William Bond kept
his money hid under the kitchen floor during the Civil War. He kept his
gold in a yellow box about 16 inches long and 5 inches wide, and the coins
in a buckskin bag. The silver was kept in a large collander.
When Bond heard
the Union soldiers had taken Pound Gap and were moving on Gladeville, a
part of the money, with some chinaware, was moved to a hiding place in
a cliff up the stream about a quarter of a mile, and some of the bedding.
In depositing them hastily under the cliffs, some of the dishes were broken
and pieces may be found there until this day. Some of the money was left
in the collander and the rest buried in the ground
just above (west) of the graveyard.