It is not known what, if any relation, William Huff was to Dr. James Huff. William Huff was born in North Carolina in 1783, married Sarah "Sally" Joseph who was born in Maryland in 1783. Lived and died near what is now Ramsey and both are buried in the old section of the Laurel Grove Cemetery, near Norton, VA. Among his children were: (1) James Huff; (2) Loranza Dow Huff; (3) John Huff; (4) Mary "Polly" Huff; (5) Phoebe Jane Huff; (6) William Huff, Jr.; (7) Charles Huff; (8) Cossie Huff; (9) Elizabeth Huff
1. James Huff, son of William & Sarah
Joseph Huff, b. 1819, m. Arra Wells, b. 1826, d/o William T. Wells. James
Huff moved to Kentucky prior to the Civil War and was living in 1885 in
Knott Co. After the death of his 1st wife he
2. Loranza Dow Huff, son of William &
Sarah Joseph Huff, b. 1847, d. October 1921, m. Patience Hunsucker. Children:
(14) Elizabeth Huff; (15) Sarah Huff; (16) Cassie Huff; (17) Peggy Huff;
(18) Newton Huff.
I would like to see my native land,
Sometimes I dream of home.
Me think I see among the rest,
I would like to see my heart s delight,
It kindles my heart with warmer love,
Full nineteen months have come and gone,
My little babies I d like to see,
Those golden hours are passed away,
3. John Huff, son of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, a Primitive Baptist Preacher, m. Elizabeth Wells, sister of Solomon Wells. Children: (19) Leanna Huff, m. William H. Stidham, b. 1842, s/o Adam & Abagail Stidham; (20) Sarah Huff, m. _____ Smith; (21) Mary Huff.
4. Mary "Polly" Huff, dau. of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, m. Jock Gilley.
5. Phoebe Jane Huff, dau. of William &
Sarah Joseph Huff, m. John Freeman Beverly, s/o of Freeman and Unicy
6. William Huff, Jr., son of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, m. Phoebe Hamilton, d/o Schuyler & Susanna Dotson Hamilton. Lived at Little Stone Gap (near West Norton) and the Little Stone Gap Primitive Baptist Church was organized in his home in 1852. He, like his brother John, was a Primitive Baptist preacher. Sometime in the 1850s he moved to Carr s Fork of then Perry, now Knott Co., KY where he died. In early days after he settled on Carr s Fork he ran both a horse and water grist mill. Later lived on Jones Fork, Knott Co., KY. Here in Knott Co., he was also instrumental in organizing Primitive Baptist Churches.
7. Charles Huff, son of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, b. 1811, m. Mary "Polly" Dotson, b. 1815, d/o Simon & Phoebe Hollingsworth Dotson. He lived around the Little Stone Gap Settlement, now West Norton. Both Charles & Polly Huff are buried in the Laurel Grove Cemetery, Ramsey section, near Norton. VA. Among his children were: (a) James Huff, b. 1853, d. 1856; (b) Julia Huff, m. Thomas Jefferson Baker, s/o Jessee & Seddia Baker; (c) Sarah Huff m. Alexander McFarland, s/o William McFarland of Powell Valley; (d) Elizabeth Huff m. David Courtney.
8. Cossie Huff, son of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, m. Edmond Ison, s/o Isaac & Rebecca Ingram Ison. Children: (28) Billy Ison, living at Waynesburg, KY 1938; (29) Oma Ison m. _____ Johnson, lived in Myra, KY; (30) Rebecca Ison, m. _____ Johnson, lived in Myra, KY; (31) Alec Ison; (32) Dave Ison; (33) Sarah Ison, b. 20 June 1840, d. 24 July 1896, m. _____ Hylton; (34) Hulda Ison; (35) Polly Ison; (36) Hanna Ison; (37) Margaret Ison.
9. Elizabeth "Betty" Huff, dau. of William & Sarah Joseph Huff, m. Solomon Wells.
14. Elizabeth Huff, dau. of Loranza Dow & Patience Hunsucker Huff, m. Aaron Wells, children: (38) Ann Wells; (39) Tom Wells m. Mattie Hensley; (40) Cora Wells m. Calvin Baker; (41) Maggie Wells m. Fleet Baker; (42) Barbara Wells m. 1st ________; 2nd Tom Salyer; (43) Sis Wells.
15. Sarah Huff, dau. of Loranza Dow & Patience Hunsucker Huff, m. Isom Caudle. Children: (44) Tilford Caudle; (45) Lulu Caudle m. Orbin Thacker, s/o Pressley Thacker; (46) Martha Caudle, m. Oliver Thacker, s/o of Pressley Thacker.
16. Cassie Huff, dau. of Loranza Dow & Patience Hunsucker Huff, m. John B. Floyd Wells, brother of Aaron Wells.
17. Martha "Peggy" Huff, dau. of Loranza Dow & Patience Hunsucker Huff, m. 1st Charles Brummett, 2nd John Mark. Children by 1st marriage: (47) Rant Brummitt, m. Delia Ison, d/o of Ed Ison; (48) John Brummitt, m. Allie Ison, d/o of Ed Ison; (49) Melissa Brummitt m. John Addington; (50) Molly Brummitt m. Willie Wampler. Children by 2nd marriage: (51) Ida Mark m. Jessee Cook; (52) Rose Mark m. Mack Sturgill.
18. Newton "Newt" Huff, son of Loranza Dow & Patience Hunsucker Huff, m. Jane Amburgey. Children: (53) William Huff, never married; (54) Lafayette Huff, died young; (55) Dora Huff m. Robert Baker; (56) Maggie Huff, m. Lee Baker.
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.