Location: On road leading to High Knob from Norton, between the Ice Plant and bridge crossing Benges Branch.
Owners: Land granted to Harry L. Smith in 1786, by the Commonwealth. Smith sold to Dale Carter, long before formation of Wise County. Carter sold to John Frazier and Frazier's wife sold to Norton Land and Development Company in 1891. The land was sub-divided and sold in lots to various parties.
Description: No description as to construction of John Prince's Camp can be obtained. Many of the older people have handed down traditions that his camp was on Benges Branch near the Norton Ice Plant.
Historical Significance: In 1786
Smith acquired a large tract of land near the Little
Stone Gap and the
following year (1787) he sent his agent John Prince
there to make a settlement,
with a small band of pioneers. In the fall Prince
ate too many chestnuts
and died. After burying him the little band of
Source of Information: Wise
J. H. Kilgore, Nelson Hamilton (deceased), and Mrs.
Martha Beverly of Norton,
The Prince Cabin
Location: On foot of stone mountain. Three hundred yards east of Benges Branch. In southside of the town of Norton, one block south of Kentucky Avenue.
Date: Before 1773..
Owners: William Prince never had
He, it is said, was an agent of Richard Smith of
London, England, who had
grants of thousands
Description: The Prince Cabin
was a one-room
house, built of round logs, underpinned with rough
stone. No floor. Door
in east side. No window.
History: Before 1773, William
into this section and established himself at what
was known as Prince's
Flats for many years, but the name was changed to
Norton on building of
the L & N Railroad to the place.
Source of Information: The late
Snodgrass, Mrs. Hattie Taylor and
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.