William Robinett Home
Known as the Robinett Fields
Location: On the west side of the road leading
from Norton to the High Knob and about 2 miles south of Norton.
Owners: This land was patented to Hezekiah
Vanderpool about July 1, 1852. He sold to William Robinett, October 24,
1856. Robinett sold to Joseph I. Doran, March 7, 1888. Doran converged
his holding into the Norton Land and Improvement Company and the land at
this place still belongs to
Norton Water Company.
Description: The house here was a two room,
hewn log building, facing east. Porch across the front. Puncheon floors,
clapboard roof and the ceiling overhead was made by laying hand riven boards
on top of the joists. Two
front entrances, batten style, made of long
riven boards. There was a small opening in the west wall of each closed
room that served the purpose of a window, that was opened and closed
by a wooden shutter. A chimney
at the south end was made of stone (uncut)
and mud daubed. The house also was daubed with mud.
The site of this
house can be located by the old chimney rocks and around the home place
once was an orchard, some few of the trees still remain. Most of this old
house rotted down. It was all gone before 1900.
lived here until after the Civil War. Then his son William, Jr. lived there
for awhile and the last man to live there was Henry Wells, who moved away
about 1888 or 1889.
Historical Significance: Hezekiah Vanderpool
married Elizabeth, a daughter of Schuyler and Susannah Dotson
Hamilton and in later life lived on Bowl
Sr., was married to Elizabeth Blanton. He resided at the foregoing place
through the Civil War and his son John served in that memorable struggle
and died in Lee Co., VA, in 1936 at the age of 99 years, 9 months and a
few days. Other children of this marriage were Sam who married Mariah,
daughter of Andrew Sturgill. Sofia married
William Kelley. Mary (Polly) married James F. Ison and Catherine married
Edmond Ison, who were sons of Archibald Ison. William (Bill) married Malissa
Holbrook and was a noted Primitive Baptist Preacher.
William Robinett, Jr.,
was born March 25, 1856 at the old home place on the foot hill of the Stone
Mountain overlooking the present town of
Norton. Deceased June 12, 1934. Married Malissa P. Holbrook, August 2,
1877, and to that union was born fourteen children, thirteen of whom yet
He joined the Primitive
Baptist Church about 1878-9 and was ordained a Minister about 1882, and
preached the Gospel for fifty-two years. He was a Pastor of four churches
in Wise and Lee Counties, and preached over four states, to wit: Virginia,
Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. He preached his last
sermon at the Blue Spring Church in Powell
Valley near his home.
Henry Wells, who
also lived at this place was a Preacher and died at his home near Norton
Sources of Information: Dr. J. M. Hill, J.
B. Hamilton and Court Records.